Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:15 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,260,533 times

Advertisements

Am I remembering something that never happened? An article that I just read leaves the impression that Britain has never, even temporarily, lost Gibralter, that once won in 1713 (I believe), they have always been in possession of it. Yet, I seem to remember a story of them having to evacuate Gibralter in defeat. Seems to me that's when "The World Turned Upside Down" was first played, as they marched away.

Did Britain ever lose Gibralter and then, later, regain it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 02:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,074,501 times
Quote:
During World War II, Gibraltar's civilian population was evacuated (mainly to London, England, but also to parts of Morocco, Madeira and Jamaica) and the Rock was strengthened as a fortress. Spanish dictator Francisco Franco's reluctance to allow the German Army onto Spanish soil frustrated a German plan to capture the Rock, codenamed Operation Felix. In the 1950s, Franco renewed Spain's claim to sovereignty over Gibraltar and restricted movement between Gibraltar and Spain. Gibraltarians voted overwhelmingly to remain under British sovereignty in the Gibraltar sovereignty referendum, 1967, which led to the passing of the Gibraltar Constitution Order in 1969. In response, Spain completely closed the border with Gibraltar and severed all communication links.[20] The border with Spain was partially reopened in 1982 and fully reopened in 1985 prior to Spain's accession to the European Community.
Gibraltar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-14-2013, 03:16 PM

So, there never was a time when the British army had to evacuate Gibralter after a defeat. All right. Either what I read was wrong or I remember it wrong. Most likely the latter. Thanks.

Years ago, an English friend told me that, if I ever read the English account of the American Revolution, I'd not recognize it as the same war. So true. Right now I am reading Winston Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples and his chapters about our Revolution read like a foreign country, other than the town names. I just read his account of Benedict Arnold's treachery. I checked with a friend who agrees that we were taught that Arnold was hanged. No, it wasn't Arnold who was hanged but the British soldier who was sent to deal with him. Churchill writes of that and then we found a web site that confirms it. Benedict Arnold escaped to serve in King George's service and died years later in poverty and disgrace.

Well, one thing is identical in both countries - politics. :-)

So goes history. Thank you about Gibralter. I now have that straight.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,491 times
Default An interesting note!

Just a quick note. Gibralter has been in the news over the last few months, because Spain and Great Britain are at odds over English possession of the area. While the most recent problems seem fairly minor (fishing rights) it does point out that Gibralter is one of the "left overs" from the English Empire and Spain would like the land back.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:49 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,263,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Just a quick note. Gibralter has been in the news over the last few months, because Spain and Great Britain are at odds over English possession of the area. While the most recent problems seem fairly minor (fishing rights) it does point out that Gibralter is one of the "left overs" from the English Empire and Spain would like the land back.
The funny thing is that a big part of what makes Gibraltar special is because it is a British territory and naval base. And its been British for a long time, for about 300 years 1713-2013.

Although the Rock of Gibraltar is dramatic, if Gibraltar was just another part of Spain, I think many of us would had never even heard of the place.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:39 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The funny thing is that a big part of what makes Gibraltar special is because it is a British territory and naval base. And its been British for a long time, for about 300 years 1713-2013.

Although the Rock of Gibraltar is dramatic, if Gibraltar was just another part of Spain, I think many of us would had never even heard of the place.
I agree. The English have a long and proud history at Gibralter. It is a place I would love to visit.

However, it is a hold over from the colonial period. The English have lost most of their other colonial era holdings, like Hong Kong and India. While I personally would love to see Gibralter stay a jewel in the English crown, I suspect that there will be increasing pressure to give it back to Spain.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Sort of reminds us of Panama and USA? Only difference is that we only had an expiring lease on Panama.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Spain, in bad financial straits now, wants Gibralter because it is in good financial condition now. So, can Spain maintain Gibralter as it is now?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:42 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,113,535 times
Quote:
I agree. The English have a long and proud history at Gibralter. It is a place I would love to visit.

However, it is a hold over from the colonial period. The English have lost most of their other colonial era holdings, like Hong Kong and India. While I personally would love to see Gibralter stay a jewel in the English crown, I suspect that there will be increasing pressure to give it back to Spain.
When will Spain give up Ceuta and Melillia? Or how about Olivencia? Or what about Catalonia?

The people of Gibraltar are immensely proud to be British, they want to stay British and the world should respect their wishes. Last Tuesday 30,000 Gibraltarians were nearly unanimous in their chants of "British we are, British we stay". It's as simple as that ... Gibraltar will be British for as long as the Gibraltarians want to be British, but they will never become Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History