Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:43 PM

618 posts, read 939,486 times

Advertisements

The French were crushed similarly to 1871. There was no need for Hitler to invade Great Britain. He did not have the capacity anyway. The British could not invade mainland Europe on their own. The USA would continue to be neutral. All Hitler had to do was to forget about Lebensraum and keep the USSR neutral and fortify his positions in Europe against future attack. Hitler and his Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish,Croatian, Spanish and Bulgarian allies could have had a long domination of Europe. I'm surprised historians have not talked more about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseeker2013 View Post
All Hitler had to do was to forget about Lebensraum and keep the USSR neutral and fortify his positions in Europe against future attack....I'm surprised historians have not talked more about this.
Because it would mean discounting two of Hitlers main objectives, securing living space for a growing(sic) Germany population from non-Aryans and the destruction of Bolshevism. I would argue that in Hitler's mind what would be the point of "world domination" if he could not rid the world of Jews and other undesirables, destroy communism, and secure land held in the hands of Poles and other Slavic people. As a result, talking about an Adolph Hitler without his eastern expansionist and genocidal ambitions would tantamount to discussing the imperial ambitions of unicorns.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 PM

29,832 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Hardly. By '43, Chuck Norris would have been summoned to deliver a crippling roundhouse kick to the heart of Berlin, causing Germany's allies to change allegiances almost immediately.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:33 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
What you say was never on anyone's agenda, quite the opposite.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 AM

618 posts, read 939,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Because it would mean discounting two of Hitlers main objectives, securing living space for a growing(sic) Germany population from non-Aryans and the destruction of Bolshevism. I would argue that in Hitler's mind what would be the point of "world domination" if he could not rid the world of Jews and other undesirables, destroy communism, and secure land held in the hands of Poles and other Slavic people. As a result, talking about an Adolph Hitler without his eastern expansionist and genocidal ambitions would tantamount to discussing the imperial ambitions of unicorns.
That is why I always felt Hitler was not a genius. Hitler's vision was wrong. I true genious would have saw the real opportunities for Germany in the 1930s and took advantage of the smaller countries around his borders and would have been satisfied.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
..and you would have had a Napoleonic War situation of war phases that would last two decades or more. England and the commonwealth countries would have never surrendered, the war would have continued at sea, and in the air, and in Hitler's weak points (Africa), and the occupied nations would have never stayed settled under a German dominated Europe. Some things are just destined, set in stone no matter what occurs in the short term - like the proper balance of power in Europe.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
The French were crushed similarly to 1871. There was no need for Hitler to invade Great Britain. He did not have the capacity anyway. The British could not invade mainland Europe on their own. The USA would continue to be neutral. All Hitler had to do was to forget about Lebensraum and keep the USSR neutral and fortify his positions in Europe against future attack. Hitler and his Italian, Romanian, Hungarian, Finnish,Croatian, Spanish and Bulgarian allies could have had a long domination of Europe. I'm surprised historians have not talked more about this.

Probably because historians deal in gathering evidence of past events and reconstructing actual occurrences rather than speculating on fantasy scenarios.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:37 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
That is why I always felt Hitler was not a genius.
Well, I for one have never regarded Hitler as a genius.

Quote:
Hitler's vision was wrong.
I would nominate that as being the understatement of year.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,205,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
//end of thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 PM

342 posts, read 571,146 times
Quote:
Lebenstraum was Hitlers reason for waging war. You also fail to address the fighting in North Africa and the Pacific, the British/Free French were doing very well in North Africa at this time and if Japan attacks any of the US "territories" (colonies, really) in the Pacific such as the Philippines or Hawaii then the US would get involved against Japan and probably Germany as well.

I also have several issues with your list of German allies;
Finland wasn't a German ally, the Finns and Germans just happened to both be fighting against the Russians so if the Russians never go to war like you say they do then Finland stays neutral like Sweden.
Spain was never allied to Germany. It would have also been nearly useless in a war since the country was devastated by the Civil War they had just gotten out of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History