Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:28 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,130,500 times

Advertisements

I never got to see Armstrong walk on the moon because I was so upset about the story from the night before about Ted Kennedy and Chappaquiddick. I had to find out what was going on, but I was only 3 years old. I ran away from home that night and rode my big wheel to the Sioux City airport and stowed away in the engine compartment of a jetliner, landed in Boston the day of the moon landing. After I got off the plane, I bumped into E. Howard Hunt by accident in a camera shop. I introduced myself and said "I want to get Kennedy's" with voice like that creepy kid from Pet Sematary. Hunt was impressed and took me under his wing. We investigated the case together and criss crossed the country looking for anything we could find on the Kennedy's.

Sometimes Eduardo would use me for other jobs out on the road, and I would act as a decoy, knocking on the front door of key democrats, giving them a sob story about being lost, while he slipped in a back window and did his surveillance work. I met Don Segretti and in time started to hang out with lots of people from the administration. I remember later that summer in '69 we were in LA and I wandered off to the corner of Jack and Webb, where this dude named Blue Boy gave me a horse pill sized tab of LSD, it blew my mind and I lost all control. I hooked up with this hippy chick named Moonbeam that sort of adopted me as her own, and we hitchhiked to New York and saw the Woodstock concert, she took good care of me and we had lots of fun, but after a month when the acid finally wore off, I made my way back to the administration in Washington. Eduardo was glad to see me again, the administration was my real family and I never did LSD ever again.

I remember one time we were at some press conference and aunt Martha (Mitchel) was on the phone with Helen Thomas talking about Watergate. Fred tried to stop her but he couldn't get a hold of the phone. Being a skinny little tike, I was able to wiggle in behind the desk and pull the phone jack out of the wall. Everyone knew not to talk about Watergate, they took Martha away for being naughty and I never saw her again. Most of my memories were happy ones, but for that one time Pat Buchanan caught me in Rosemary's office and beat me up for playing with her tape recorder. I was only in there for 20 minutes or so. Things got bad after Spiro left town, and Alexander Haig had to send me back home to Iowa in the summer of '74, my parents were so glad to see me again.

Last edited by mofford; 06-25-2014 at 11:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
At home with my Family right in front of the b/w tv - watching this awesome moment. (Most Americans were doing the same thing that night).

Everyone was was talking about it for a long time, really exciting

Does anyone remember Space Food Sticks ?
They were these yummy chewy snacks that were ind. pkgd. I think 10-12 per box. If I recall there was a little pic of an astronaut on the box. It was a big deal for us as kids to buy these.

I wish they still made them because I really liked them and would prefer over any power type bar today (space food sticks were before the power bar craze, they were known as the chewy snack the astronaut liked

Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,168 times
I was but a twinkle in my mom's ovary.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
We were at the beach.

It was a sweltering July day, and there were hundreds of people there... maybe somewhere in the low thousands. Many of the sunbathers had their radios on, and when the live announcement was broadcast - "Houston, Tranquility Base here.... the Eagle has landed" - a spontaneous roar erupted as the entire crowd let out a tremendous cheer. It was an incredible moment, one I'll never forget. The only thing more amazing was watching Armstrong's first steps on the lunar surface several hours later, in the middle of the night.

There was a part of me that could scarcely believe what I was seeing, and while I long ago became quite jaded about the whole subject, I've never forgotten what that emotion felt like at the time. It's quite a memory, and one that will live clearly in my mind until the day I die. I wonder if there was ever another event in American history that so many people deliberately stayed up so late to watch.
Must be a different one than i am thinking about. IRRC it was about 10pm in Arkansas.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
They were these yummy chewy snacks that were ind. pkgd. I think 10-12 per box. If I recall there was a little pic of an astronaut on the box. It was a big deal for us as kids to buy these.

I wish they still made them because I really liked them and would prefer over any power type bar today (space food sticks were before the power bar craze, they were known as the chewy snack the astronaut liked

I remember them. I think we got them once or twice.

I believe they were a Pillsbury product.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:10 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Just a small child, but I recall the news vividly.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:45 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I was living in California at the time and saw it on TV. When my dad retired from the military we came back to Lebanon Ohio and I went to school with Neil Armstrong's youngest son and we were in the same scout troop so I had gotten to know Neil Armstrong and he was always very modest about his place in history. One of the things he would do is tell some lame joke about the moon and if nobody laughed he would say "I guess you would have to be there"
Yeah, he was always big into scouting. And he was a very modest, quiet man, wasn't he?

I have an uncle who builds airplanes, and he goes to the air show in Oshkosh, Wisconsin every year. One day about ten years ago he was tinkering with his plane at the show while people walked up and down the rows looking at the planes, and a man wearing a Purdue baseball cap came over and started asking him questions about the plane. They wound up talking for almost an hour, and Eugene was loving every minute of it. It wasn't often he got a chance to chat with someone who knew as much about flying and airplanes as this guy did.

They eventually shook hands and said goodbye, and the man walked on down the row of planes. Someone who'd been standing nearby came over to Eugene and said, "Well, I'll bet that was an interesting conversation." Eugene said, "Yeah, that was fun. That guy really knows flying!" The other guy laughed and said, "Yeah, I guess he does. You mean you don't know who that was?" "Ah... no," Eugene said. "Well, you just spent the better part of an hour talking to Neil Armstrong."

Eugene was stunned. The guy had never given so much as a clue. Not one word about NASA, the moon, his test pilot days, nothing. He just wanted to hear Eugene talk about his plane. I understand he went to the airshow almost every year, but the people there who knew who he was just respected his privacy.

Kind of an odd duck in some ways, though. He rarely worked out. He believed that the human heart had only a certain number of heartbeats in it, and he didn't want to waste any. Right or wrong, there's no arguing he got the most out of his.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 06-26-2014 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2014, 11:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Must be a different one than i am thinking about. IRRC it was about 10pm in Arkansas.
That was the moonwalk. I think it was around 10:30 or 11 Central, which was kind of late when we were kids. The landing itself was late afternoon, around 3 or 4 I think.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:05 PM

155 posts, read 259,050 times
I was smoking a blunt on Mars

Old 06-26-2014, 01:18 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
At home with my Family right in front of the b/w tv - watching this awesome moment. (Most Americans were doing the same thing that night).

Everyone was was talking about it for a long time, really exciting

I remember those, too! Weren't there flavors like vanilla & strawberry? I doubt many adults ate them, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History