Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:32 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,381 times

Advertisements

My motivation for getting up and staying up was this thing called a paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I am 50 and have never used a snooze button. I don't even get the idea to the snooze button. Why would anyone need it? I get up at 5 am just about everyday. Sometimes I have a need to get up at 4:30am. For the most part 5am has been the rule for me. I started getting up at 5am when I was 14 and have never stopped. How much sleep does a person need anyway? I go to bed by 9pm. if I am really tired but mostly by 10pm. I end up with at least 7 hours a night sleep. We usually get up later on Sunday. This past Friday we did not go to bed till 3am Saturday morning. Had a High School Graduation party at our house with a Taco guy, DJ, Photo Booth, and maybe 200 people during the night. Party was over around 12:30 or so. (The Police informed us that it was a little loud at 11:15 so we had to shut the DJ down. LOL) The party is not typical though.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Yep, taking nap was sin back then. And many movies are not believable either.

No, I think before the snooze button, they had many fire alarms and smoke alarms and burglar alarms waking them up. Who can go back to sleep with one of those?!

Or the clock poured a bucket of water like in Flintstones or Road Runner.
??? Why you be hating??

1. The nap thing is based on my grandparents day. Would just like more insight into their thinking since unfortunately they're dead and I never thought to ask them while alive.

2. Mad Men is not a movie

Old 06-16-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach P8erson View Post
I had 1st Period planning for years as a teacher. I also had to cover 1st period classes for years for those teachers who couldn't get up on time. Day after day, week in and week out, year in and year out.

So I don't really consider not being able to get up as a cute foible. Had a Principal who was the same way, he rarely made it in before 10. School started at 7:45.
No one said it was a "cute foible!" Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
My motivation for getting up and staying up was this thing called a paycheck.
Ummm.... ok.....I wasn't asking about "motivation," i was asking about the technicalities.

Damn! Are people always this onerous in the history forum?!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 AM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
No one said it was a "cute foible!" Lol!
Go back and read a couple of the "can't wake up" stories posted.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Go back and read a couple of the "can't wake up" stories posted.
I've read them all but only saw a few people relaying their personal difficulties. I didn't even see anyone speak of being late to work more than once or twice.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:55 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,152 times
Set the noisy old alarm in another room, or across the room, bad music real loud on clock radio, smelled the coffee, and my favorite, never went to bed.............ah, those were the days!!!

Old 06-16-2015, 03:38 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am 50 and have never used a snooze button. I don't even get the idea to the snooze button. Why would anyone need it? I get up at 5 am just about everyday. Sometimes I have a need to get up at 4:30am. For the most part 5am has been the rule for me. I started getting up at 5am when I was 14 and have never stopped. How much sleep does a person need anyway? I go to bed by 9pm. if I am really tired but mostly by 10pm. I end up with at least 7 hours a night sleep. We usually get up later on Sunday. This past Friday we did not go to bed till 3am Saturday morning. Had a High School Graduation party at our house with a Taco guy, DJ, Photo Booth, and maybe 200 people during the night. Party was over around 12:30 or so. (The Police informed us that it was a little loud at 11:15 so we had to shut the DJ down. LOL) The party is not typical though.

Most people who go to bed as early as 9 do get up very early without any trouble. I know someone who is retired that is in bed at 7:30 and up by 4. Obviously this is by choice, but I cannot see ever going to bed before 10 or 11, especially in summer when its light in the sky till 9.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:19 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,243,961 times
I'm not that old, but something that works for me was to sleep in an east-facing bedroom and keep the blinds open toward the bottom of the window. The sun always wakes me up more effectively than buzzing

Old 06-16-2015, 08:41 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,835 times
I am by nature a night owl so a snooze alarm is essential for me. It just takes me a long time to wake up. To each his own, diversity is what makes life fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History