Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times

Advertisements

At the last minute The Who told the folks running the show that if they didnt double thier pay they wouldnt go on. Each act was paid $12,000 but the Who demanded $24,000. Janis Joplin was not on the original documentery but is on the Directors cut. Sha Na Na was a last minute fill in for Iron Butterfly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
At the last minute The Who told the folks running the show that if they didnt double thier pay they wouldnt go on. Each act was paid $12,000 but the Who demanded $24,000. Janis Joplin was not on the original documentery but is on the Directors cut. Sha Na Na was a last minute fill in for Iron Butterfly.
I've been looking into this.
Most of the bands got more than the going rate of the day.
I read that the Who (as well as the Grateful Dead) refused to go on without getting paid something.
Source (http://www.woodstock69.com/wsrprnt5.htm - broken link)

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
"Oh, how cute. A bunch of drug addled children trying to prolong their adolescence as long as possible. Then, forty years later, they'll look back on the emptiness of it all and try to ascribe meaning to it."

Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
"Oh, how cute. A bunch of drug addled children trying to prolong their adolescence as long as possible. Then, forty years later, they'll look back on the emptiness of it all and try to ascribe meaning to it."
Knowing my generation, they'll also try to figure out a way to make a buck out of it.
Most of the soundtrack of my youth is now selling products on TV.
To be fair, maybe our dreams of peace and love went up in marijuana smoke, but our generation did make *some* good changes.
I don't much believe in either regrets or boasts, though--let alone trying to ascribe meaning.
Xlabel, I heard Lennon was indeed invited but that he would not play without Ono's band.

edited to add:
While I don't believe in ascribing meaning to historical events, I am all for searching for it, and learning from it.
As long as the rose-colored glasses are taken off, there is nothing narcissistic about seeking patterns in the past.
That's what history is all about.

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 02-11-2009 at 04:53 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 05:31 AM

In a sense you're right, for everybody has a right to justify their own existence. At the same time, with the absolute glowing exception of the Civil Rights Era, most of the so-called achievements of the 60s were dubious at best. Free Love? Let's look at the spiraling rates illegitimate children, STDs, and divorce. Drugs? Hey, I'm an absolute libertarian, so it's not my business what you put into your body, but the cumulative effect of the drug culture has been extraordinarily destructive. Vietnam? Not exactly a cause I'd support either, but given that 2-3 million people died after the fall of Saigon, I'm not sure that bailing out of 'Nam was exactly a palatable alternative either. The Great Society? A complete disaster, fiscally, culturally, and governmentally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Knowing my generation, they'll also try to figure out a way to make a buck out of it.
Most of the soundtrack of my youth is now selling products on TV.
To be fair, maybe our dreams of peace and love went up in marijuana smoke, but our generation did make *some* good changes.
I don't much believe in either regrets or boasts, though--let alone trying to ascribe meaning.
Xlabel, I heard Lennon was indeed invited but that he would not play without Ono's band.

edited to add:
While I don't believe in ascribing meaning to historical events, I am all for searching for it, and learning from it.
As long as the rose-colored glasses are taken off, there is nothing narcissistic about seeking patterns in the past.
That's what history is all about.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
In a sense you're right, for everybody has a right to justify their own existence. At the same time, with the absolute glowing exception of the Civil Rights Era, most of the so-called achievements of the 60s were dubious at best. Free Love? Let's look at the spiraling rates illegitimate children, STDs, and divorce. Drugs? Hey, I'm an absolute libertarian, so it's not my business what you put into your body, but the cumulative effect of the drug culture has been extraordinarily destructive. Vietnam? Not exactly a cause I'd support either, but given that 2-3 million people died after the fall of Saigon, I'm not sure that bailing out of 'Nam was exactly a palatable alternative either. The Great Society? A complete disaster, fiscally, culturally, and governmentally.
The BabyBoomer generation's failings as well as its better qualities have already been discussed at length in the P&C forum--in more than one thread.
I suppose you could either begin a new thread there to dump on those unwashed lazy bacchanalian hippies, or do a search (try Babyboomer).
I think we know what you think about Woodstock, and what it represents to you.
If you want to share more of your opinions on the generation that produced it, maybe they should be shared elsewhere (here in History, or in P&C)--this is turning into a bit of a hijack.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
I was against the Vietnam war, I even wrote a letter!
They finally stopped the fighting but it took my letter ten years to get through !

Richie Havens
Country Joe And The Fish
Ten Years After

I would have gone to it but I'm not fond of being in crowds. I used to enjoy going to concerts for free and enjoying the show from a boat. Pic below is of me in my wild and woolly days at a summer series concert off the Embarcadero in San Diego.

Picasa Web Albums - Rick - lucky animal

Old 02-11-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
The BabyBoomer generation's failings as well as its better qualities have already been discussed at length in the P&C forum--in more than one thread.
I suppose you could either begin a new thread there to dump on those unwashed lazy bacchanalian hippies, or do a search (try Babyboomer).
I think we know what you think about Woodstock, and what it represents to you.
If you want to share more of your opinions on the generation that produced it, maybe they should be shared elsewhere (here in History, or in P&C)--this is turning into a bit of a hijack.
How is this a hijack? I think I am offering very to-the-point countering opinions regarding the seemingly mythic status of Woodstock, as well as its historical importance. Just because I don't buy into the self-congratulatory beliefs of the Woodstock Generation certainly doesn't make my posts any less valid.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
So only two people who were actually there have responded so far and everybody else is postulating based on what they've read and heard. Interesting. Here's a third who was there and I had a great time although it WAS very soggy! Cheers!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
How is this a hijack? I think I am offering very to-the-point countering opinions regarding the seemingly mythic status of Woodstock, as well as its historical importance. Just because I don't buy into the self-congratulatory beliefs of the Woodstock Generation certainly doesn't make my posts any less valid.
Hey, I am neither the OP nor a mod.
I only wanted to point you to other threads which truly address the subject I believe you seek.
If you see yourself as That Guy who attempts to us ignorant folk to the light, so be it.
Your original post mentioned the "emptiness of it all."
Then you proceeded to bring in the Vietnam War, the Great Society etc etc none of which were begun by Boomers. I am not even sure we can take credit for the Civil Rights movement, we were awfully young then, of course it still goes on, but it began before I was born. We merely participated in events which began rolling when we were kids.
I think we were a bridge generation, a bunch of people who shook things up and began new ways of looking at age-old traditions. Woodstock got a lot of publicity because of how many people showed up. These things happen.
Woodstock was not the be-all/end-all, Monterery was probably more pure.
And that is as far as I am going to take this discussion here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History