Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 02:12 PM

25,666 posts, read 17,416,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I’ll give you Gettysburg, but calling Antietam a “decisive victory” is laughable. It stopped his invasion of the North...but the actual battle was a stalemate.
Vicksburg fell on the same day as Gettysburg and between the 2 events, The South was toast.
*War starts in '61. Goes well for The Confederacy at first.

*Farragut takes New Orleans and the mouth of the Mississippi in '62. Now, no more goods can leave via the all important river.

*Vicksburg and Gettysburg in July, '63, on the same day. Now, The Union has full control of the entire river. And no more supplies will be coming across from Texas and points West.

*Farragut takes Mobile in August, '64. That was the last seaport.

Most people focus on the important land battles. A different view of the war can be taken through the coastal battles. Few people talk about David (Damn The Torpedoes! Full Speed Ahead!) Farragut these days. There should be more recognition for him, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 02:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,213,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
*Farragut takes Mobile in August, '64. That was the last seaport.
Hope you do not mind a small nitpick for the sake of accuracy. In August of 1864, Admiral Farragut destroyed the rebel defensive fleet and forced the surrender of the forts guarding the entrance to Mobile Bay. That gave the Union control of all traffic in and out of the bay, but Mobile itself remained in Confederate hands until taken by a land assault in April of 1865.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:33 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,980,370 times
War Generals are supposed to be saints now? Hmmm.....seems to be asking a lot.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,941,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The problem was that the Freedmen were betrayed and subjected to Jim Crow as the price of healing those wounds. No good.

I wouldn’t have hanged anyone but I would’ve given Wilson orders to shoot Davis out of hand upon his capture. I would’ve banned from political office, at any level, all who had taken up arms against the United States or been part of a rebel government at any level. Had recalcitrant rebels remained in arms after the destruction of the main rebel armies I would’ve had them hunted down and destroyed down using Freedmen and southern Unionists as anti insurgency forces. No quarter given.
You appear to be unaware that those who had supported the Confederacy were required to take an oath of allegiance to the United States before having their vote restored or even drawing rations in war-ravaged areas - this included civilians. There's even a famous piece of "parlor sculpture" entitled "Taking the Oath and Drawing Rations", showing a sad-faced young mother, evidently a widow, with her hand on a Bible held by a Union officer as she takes the oath, while two small children, one black, one white, cling to her skirts. Once the oath was taken, U.S. citizenship was restored, a very wise move.

If you eliminated all who'd supported the Confederate forces or government from political office, you would eliminate most of the educated people of the South, NOT a wise move. The resentment would have been massive and resulted in increased division and resentment between North and South.

My g-g-grandfather was a field officer under Armistead and was injured in Pickett's Charge. He served throughout the war and was at Appomattox. Yet afterwards, he served his community well as a business leader and later became a member of his state's legislature. He said the war "was all a big mistake", and refused to talk about it afterwards. Instead, he and other community leaders supported a biracial ticket which successfully ran for state office, a most remarkable occurrence in his time and place.

A black member of that biracial ticket served as my ancestor's body servant during the war, saw action, and also drew a Confederate pension, so by your standards, he also would have been ineligible for elective office.

Banning such men from holding office would have been vindictive, a waste of intelligence and a rejection of reconciliation.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:29 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,246,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Read the biography. Lincoln fell far short of sainthood. But all of them do.

Lincoln couldn't have cared less about the plight of the enslaved.

And if you think it was Lee's idea to pit brother against brother on the battlefield.....no.
I don't think Lincoln is a "Saint". In fact, I do not believe in "saints". Metaphorically or religiously.
Lincoln was not a perfect person. Few of us are.

Lee was evil.

Big difference.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:58 PM

24,807 posts, read 9,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Would you provide some evidence for this statement?
Are you serious?

Quote:
Sears Holdings, which operates Kmart and Sears, will no longer allow third parties to sell Confederate-themed merchandise online. (June 22, 2015)

The world's largest retailer (wal-mart) has taken down reproductions of the Confederate flag from its physical and online stores. "We don't want to offend anyone with the products that we offer," spokesman Brian Nick said in a statement. (June 22, 2015)

The online auction site (ebay) has vowed to ban the listing of Confederate flags and items. (June 23, 2015)

On Tuesday afternoon, a spokesperson confirmed the company (amazon) would pull Confederate flag merchandise. (June 23, 2015)
https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...e-flag-banned/

The confederate flag ban from major vendors isn't breaking news. Want a confederate flag today, you need to go to a mom and pop or local vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He was a traitor to the Republic and should have been hung by the neck till dead.
And America was traitor to Great Britain.

Losers are traitors and winner are revolutionarys

Old 08-04-2018, 05:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,808,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You appear to be unaware that those who had supported the Confederacy were required to take an oath of allegiance....

...A black member of that biracial ticket served as my ancestor's body servant during the war, saw action, and also drew a Confederate pension, so by your standards, he also would have been ineligible for elective office...

...Banning such men from holding office would have been vindictive, a waste of intelligence and a rejection of reconciliation.
I’m aware of the oath.

Your uncle’s servant (was he enslaved?) was probably not a citizen nor serving of his own volition nor a soldier. But if he were, yeah, no office for him.

Being vindictive has it’s uses as is seen in the aftermath of many rebellions in which the question was settled for a long time. It was for the rebels to reconcile themselves to the United States, not the other way around. After the rebellion social and economic revolution was needed in the South, absent that the Freedmen got the shaft when the white southern elites regained power. The screwing of the Blacks is a fact.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:14 PM

3,523 posts, read 783,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
War Generals are supposed to be saints now? Hmmm.....seems to be asking a lot.
iv`e been waiting for this post .. google up who said >> " the only good Indian is a dead Indian "an tell me how that is less worse than what R.E .LEE may have or have not done ...

Old 08-04-2018, 05:35 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,918,187 times
Martin Luther King Jr. was no saint either, but I don't see his statues being taken down, or street names being changed.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 PM

24,807 posts, read 9,578,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Martin Luther King Jr. was no saint either, but I don't see his statues being taken down, or street names being changed.
Indeed, MLK had plenty of extramarital affairs. Hardly anyone in history was perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History