Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 07:50 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
NJGoat's views are so US centric they are a joke at times. I have locked horns with him in the past. Why should I engage in a dead thread?
And yours are equally UK centric. Stalemate.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:26 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Indeed true.

He rotates between screaming that stale old nonsense about coming late and describing our forces as glorified Boy Scouts, unskilled, unneeded, and of no use to anyone.

It's factually incorrect as well as boorish, but the Brits are a very nationalistic lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 09:10 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,065,752 times
Quote:
No. I look at facts and analyse. I do not get my history from Hollywood and poor History Channel documentaries. Americans have been strung a line since WW2 making out they were better than they actually were. Anything against that grain and many react.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-06-2019 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
He rotates between screaming that stale old nonsense about coming late and describing our forces as glorified Boy Scouts, unskilled, unneeded, and of no use to anyone.

It's factually incorrect as well as boorish, but the Brits are a very nationalistic lot.
Screaming? No. There was some truth in what you wrote though. In 1939 when WW2 started, the US army in size stood at 19th, just below Bulgaria and Romania. The massive inflation of size meant the army had few who knew how to run it. The poor performance of its top generals (most were colonels only a few years before being in command of armies) was clear to see.

BTW, the Brits are not nationalistic. Travel around the UK, you will rarely see the union flag flying. Travel around the USA, that flag is constantly in your face.

Last edited by John-UK; 03-06-2019 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 09:49 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Indeed true.

A product of the malaise in the British Historical Community I like to call - BSS - British Superiority Syndrome. They still can't get over the period of history when the sun never set on the British Empire. "England Rules the Waves", hip hip, cheerio, Rule Britannia!, and all that. So it's not to downgrade the US necessarily, but to upgrade Britain and what once was.

Read any history authored by a Brit. I find it kind of endearing.

Don't take it personal John-UK, you give your alternative UK-centric view and it has a place here.

Last edited by Dd714; 03-06-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
A product of the malaise in the British Historical Community I like to call - BSS - British Superiority Syndrome. They still can't get over the period of history when the sun never set on the British Empire. "England Rules the Waves", hip hip, cheerio, Rule Britannia!, and all that. So it's not to downgrade the US necessarily, but to upgrade Britain and what once was.

Read any history authored by a Brit. I find it kind of endearing.

Don't take it personal John-UK, you give your view and it has a place here.
I do not give alternative views.

Most British do not care about an empire that costed to run. One that was scheduled to be broken up prior to WW2, Canada, Australia and NZ were all self governing. It is arguable that it still exits, in the form of the British Commonwealth, which was an idea of the former nations not Britain. BTW, two countries requested to join and accepted that were never in the empire, Mozambique and Rwanda. Israel was considering applying with France in the 1950s suggesting she also join.
BBC NEWS | UK | When Britain and France nearly married

Last edited by John-UK; 03-06-2019 at 10:29 AM..

Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Screaming? No. There was some truth in what you wrote though. In 1939 when WW2 started, the US army in size stood at 19th, just below Bulgaria and Romania. The massive inflation of size meant the army had few who knew how to run it. The poor performance of its top generals (most were colonels only a few years before being in command of armies) was clear to see.

BTW, the Brits are not nationalistic. Travel around the UK, you will rarely see the union flag flying. Travel around the USA, that flag is constantly in your face.
Nonsense John-Bull. One looks up Nationalism in the dictionary, your picture is there.

Thanks for proving my point.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:11 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
and yours are equally uk centric. Stalemate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john-uk View Post
no. I look at facts and analyse. I do not get my history from hollywood and poor history channel documentaries. Americans have been strung a line since ww2 making out they were better than they actually were. Anything against that grain and many react.
q. e. d.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Nonsense John-Bull. One looks up Nationalism in the dictionary, your picture is there.

Thanks for proving my point.
Opinionated nonsense. Go by facts, it is easier. Without the British the world would be a different place than what you know it.

Do not go by Hollywood history.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:31 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Gentlemen, lest we forget:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History