Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2019, 02:44 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Topography. If Iwo Jima was bloody, it would have been a Sunday school picnic compared to the bloodbath that would have accompanied any conventional invasion; for the Japanese as well as the GI's.Perhaps they suspected that Hirohito had only a limited tolerance for more senseless bloodshed?
Well this is where my friend's argument goes, that if the US didn't want a blood bath, they shouldn't have invaded at all he says. He said they wouldn't have felt compelled to use nukes if they just didn't invade at all and left it alone.

However, and this is just my perception of it, how the come the US used nukes to avoid a big blood bath here, but they were willing to endure big blood baths in wars after the nuclear age, without using nukes to avoid bloodbaths?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 03:46 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default We took them @ their word

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well this is where my friend's argument goes, that if the US didn't want a blood bath, they shouldn't have invaded at all he says. He said they wouldn't have felt compelled to use nukes if they just didn't invade at all and left it alone.

However, and this is just my perception of it, how the come the US used nukes to avoid a big blood bath here, but they were willing to endure big blood baths in wars after the nuclear age, without using nukes to avoid bloodbaths?
Against IJ in WWII? Yah, I suppose we could have starved IJ out - but that would mean the civilians would die first, the IJ military & government functionaries would be the last to go. Too long, & the Soviets would likely have helped themselves to more of the Sakhalins, maybe tried for Hokkaido if they were feeling frisky. No, we'd (the US & allies) done the hard part, forcing the IJ military back across the Pacific. The final act is to force their surrender, & not leave them hanging to conspire about a stab in the back, like Germany after WWI. Better a clean end.

As for currently, 1. We're still in the nuclear age.

2. What big blood baths are we talking about? Korea? Vietnam? Those didn't rise to even the level of a conventional war, like WWII. I suppose we could have flattened sizable pieces of both Korea & Vietnam with nuclear weapons - but what would have been the point? That would have rendered the countries uninhabitable for who-knows-how-long, plus collateral damage downwind, poisoning the seas, fish, seafood.

IJ during WWII (& before, going back to the early 193s) worked very hard @ giving the impression that they were cold-blooded killers. They cut their way through soldiers, civilians, enemy POWs, enemy civilians. We had developed nuclear bombs & delivery systems mainly to use against Germany, but Germany surrendered before we could deliver weapons to them. IJ wasn't so fortunate, & by the time IJ was trying to frighten us with horror stories about their ruthlessness, it was too late. We'd already targeted select ports/military facilities/manufacturing sites/cities, developed the B-29s, & finally captured airbases close enough to IJ to fly the nuclear missions.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:13 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,640 times
Quote:
Operation Downfall - the planned invasion of Japan - would have almost certainly entailed American casualties far beyond the 58k dead/300k+ wounded U.S. troops in Vietnam. Surely, it's obvious why the nuclear option is increasingly likely the higher the cost of the alternative, no? Anyway, the question wasn't one of to nuke or not to nuke. At the time of the Japanese surrender, the United States expected to produce approximately one plutonium bomb every 10 days, which were to be stockpiled for use in the invasion. It was intended that half a dozen to a dozen or more nuclear devices would be used against Japanese forces immediately ahead of the initial invasion. The targets, not the use of nukes, were the variable.

Also, the hypothetical use of nuclear weapons in Vietnam has numerous obvious shortcomings, among them the fact that the guerrilla forces of the enemy were dispersed and less vulnerable to such weapons, to say nothing of the fact that they occupied swaths of South Vietnam. We Have To Nuke It In Order To Save It might've been a slogan a bit beyond the pale, no? Then there's the fact that the political price of breaking the nuclear taboo - which did not yet exist in 1945 - would have been severe, not to mention dangerous. Keeping that genie in the bottle was prioritized.

Old 02-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Vietnam, Korea, and Iraq and Aghanistan, but you're right, I didn't realize how big Iwo Jima and the Pacific battles were until now, in comparison.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We did have the American Volunteer Group (the Flying Tigers) in China well before Pearl Harbor. We may have upped our support in China but I doubt it.

as is usual in these threads we are seemingly off topic...i did respond to the questions pages ago

the Japanese attacked US forces in the Philippines on DEC 10th..so essentially nothing different would have occurred...(inexplicably MacArthur was caught off-guard as well)

the Japanese were terrified of the Russians for some reason and once Russia came into the war it was over...

there seemed to be missed attempts to surrender whether on purpose or not its hard to say missed translations and such....

Truman had no say-so in the atomic bombing...it was just bureaucratic inertia that used the bomb it was not until after the two bombs that some thought presidential authority would be a nice thing

Old 02-27-2019, 10:47 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:

The purpose of an invasion is to compel Japan to surrender, as fighting and death was still going on in occupied territories. Major swaths of China were still occupied. The terms of surrender, per allied agreement, were unconditional. Isolating Japan and starving them out would present it's own problems besides what is listed above - namely that it would cause more death in Japan than a nuclear weapon and even possibly an invasion, besides the unacceptable though of World War II dragging on for years more.

In regards to nukes - during WW2 it was simply seen as a big massive bomb. A tool of total war. It didn't have the political/social connotation as a weapon of mass destruction it had afterwards and no other country had it.
The usage of nuclear weapons in future wars were not practical and there were no comparative "big blood baths" for US troops equal to WW2 (over half a million casualties, and anticipated over 1 to possibly 4 million more for an invasion of Japan). Also, these were proxy wars involving major powers that, by the 50s, also had nuclear weapons. Retaliation and expansion of these limited wars was a risk. Nuclear weapons were considered in the Korean War of course, resulting in MacArthur's dismissal.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 AM

Oh okay I see. My friend who is obviously opposed to nuclear weapons says that the Japanese should have went after goverment or military targets rather than civilian cities, if they were going to use nukes. Do you think that's true though, or are the civilians no different than the military, in this situation?

Old 02-27-2019, 03:55 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default What's the question?

Quote:
Oh okay I see. My friend who is obviously opposed to nuclear weapons says that the Japanese should have went after goverment or military targets rather than civilian cities, if they were going to use nukes. Do you think that's true though, or are the civilians no different than the military, in this situation?
IJ didn't have nuclear weapons. Or are you asking something different?

Old 02-27-2019, 07:44 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,623 times
Quote:
the line had been crossed way earlier in the war the US firebombed something like 60 percent of ALL Japanese cities 100,000 dead in Tokyo alone

Old 02-28-2019, 04:57 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
I guess you are talking about the US using Nukes, not Japan using nukes.
Hiroshima, as the headquarters of the 2nd IJA Army, WAS a military target and most of the casualties, about 40,000, were soldiers not civilians. Nagasaki was a secondary target because the original was clouded over - they were a heavy industrial city with military shipyards and steel foundries, etc. thus classified as a military target as well.

Regardless, it had already been established in that brutal war that bombing of civilian population center was an accepted practice by both sides Axis and Allies. The terrible reality of the concept known as Total War.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History