Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 01:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,238,196 times

Advertisements

I have found Ulysses Grant to be a difficult historical figure in terms of gaining a full understanding of his talents. Some of the things he wrote and said were impressively insightful, at other times he comes across as Bobo the Simpleminded.

One thing I have learned is that it is an error to embrace the image often associated with Grant, that of being an unimaginative plodder whose chief virtue was tenacity. Many still believe that he finished last in his class at West Point, but in fact he was 21st out of 39. While there, he indulged in his hobby as a painter, completing many works, nine of which have survived. Some samples:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 07:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,632,260 times
Smears against Grant are mostly "sour grapes" comments from former confederates, Southern apologists and their offspring. Grant defeated every confederate he faced and it still stings 150 years later.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 AM

1,412 posts, read 571,773 times
Grant's memoirs are rightly considered a classic, and he wrote them while he was dying of cancer.
Sales of the books allowed his family to recover from financial ruin.
To me, despite his not too successful presidency, he is one of the greatest Americans.

Last edited by USC1986; 11-25-2019 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 11-25-2019, 07:20 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,369,132 times
Impressive works for an amateur hobby painter.

Grant is often vilified by both sides. He was a product of the times and had to deal with difficult, complex issues of a growing US, pre and post Civil War.

He deeply admired Lincoln, and touchingly showed so at his funeral, in his characteristically restrained way.

He was a case of a man whose traits made for a great general but poor politician.

ETA: I’m not surprised he painted and sketched, and well. In some respects, he always struck me as having an introspective, sensitive, artist’s soul. Wouldn’t surprise me if he also suffered from bouts of depression so characteristic of many of the highly intelligent - including, I suspect, Sherman.

Last edited by mingna; 11-25-2019 at 08:02 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 05:24 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,608,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Smears against Grant are mostly "sour grapes" comments from former confederates, Southern apologists and their offspring. Grant defeated every confederate he faced and it still stings 150 years later.
I don't think most of the Grant criticism has to do with Civil War generalship.. it's more about all the (subordinate) corruption within his presidency. And Grant admitted to/recognized his errors in 'judgement' regarding that..

Incidentally, his paintings are pretty good.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I don't think most of the Grant criticism has to do with Civil War generalship.. it's more about all the (subordinate) corruption within his presidency. And Grant admitted to/recognized his errors in 'judgement' regarding that..

Incidentally, his paintings are pretty good.

His loyalty to those he respected, trusted, or cared for served him well as a general, but also made him vulnerable to rampant corrupt patronage and nepotism in his presidency.

The landscape painting is in fairly standard style for the period, but the sketch of the horse evokes hints of later period Cezanne.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:00 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
In some respects, he always struck me as having an introspective, sensitive, artist’s soul. Wouldn’t surprise me if he also suffered from bouts of depression so characteristic of many of the highly intelligent - including, I suspect, Sherman.
Grant was famous for always showing a calm, low key demeanor regardless of what might be happening. Sherman was much more mercurial, given to highs and lows.

Grant was primarily a family man, he deeply cherished his wife and children. The Grants had a very happy marriage.

Old 11-27-2019, 05:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,303,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
Grant's memoirs are rightly considered a classic, and he wrote them while he was dying of cancer.
Sales of the books allowed his family to recover from financial ruin.
To me, despite his not too successful presidency, he is one of the greatest Americans.

Well he had a lot of help from Mark Twain. He wrote his memoirs to provide for his wife after he died. Mark Twain contacted him, and offered to help him. He apparently gave him a great deal of help.

Twain admired Grant.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-28-2019 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote tag. Spelling counts.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:29 PM

16,749 posts, read 15,789,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well he had a lot of help from Mark Twain. He wrote his memoirs to provide for his wife after he died. Mark Twain contacted him, and offered to help him. He apparently gave him a great deal of help.

Twain admired Grant.
I don't know about Twain offering any help writing the memoirs, but he did agree to publish the work to make sure Julia Grant received the income from the books (I believe it was two volumes).

Old 11-29-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Grant was famous for always showing a calm, low key demeanor regardless of what might be happening. Sherman was much more mercurial, given to highs and lows.
Sherman seemed much more of a black and white thinker, which may have allowed him to successfully implement his total war strategy in his March to the Sea.

They both probably suffered chronic depression throughout their lives. May have contributed to Grant’s reputation as a problem drinker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Grant was primarily a family man, he deeply cherished his wife and children. The Grants had a very happy marriage.
Were he not so devoted to his wife on April 15, 1865, Lincoln may have survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History