Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,802,095 times

Advertisements

I actually care about history perhaps thousands of years ago because a lot of the knowledge known in the past were lost and just being rediscovered now. There are still lots of ancient history that are being discovered today due to new tech that opens up a lot of questions than answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 06:54 PM

2,924 posts, read 2,596,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`ve been asked why I read so many WW1 books and indeed it`s because I find it interesting. It`s surprising how little Americans know about that war. Very few of us can name more than 4 or 5 countries that were participants.
I was never into war as a subject but a few months ago, out of boredom I watched a documentary on WWI. It totally educated me in a way that I'd never been exposed to before. A coincidence was that a few months prior, I'd taken my first ever trip to Austria and Hungary and visited the former Hapsburg's palaces among other places of interest.

If you're into movies and documentaries on WWI, have you seen or plan to go to see the movie 1917? I saw the trailer and I'm wondering what do historians and those very knowledgeable about the war think of the movie?

Old 01-14-2020, 07:21 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,514,405 times
A really fun way to learn about history is to read historical fiction novels.

While not necessarily 100% correct on all the details sometimes, it motivates me to look up more stuff about it, etc.

Some fun novels include Pillars of the Earth, The Alienist, A WHOLE BUNCH of WWI and WWII novels, GWTW, the Dane Maddock series, blah blah blah...I could go on forever there are so freakin' many of every part of history.
I just read this great series by Daniel Kalla about the jews in WWII Shangai.
Oh, and this detective series set in Sri Lanka during the British occupation (Nuala).
Just so many things!

Old 01-14-2020, 08:05 PM

9,390 posts, read 7,025,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Because Seems some don't know about much of the history or such from that time. I once put a song on the radio that was in old english and for some reason a person thought they were singing in romanian or such. I wonder why some people seem ignorant to something that happened 1000 years ago.

I agree but I find it far less concerning about people's knowledge of history than I do their understanding of the "current". The rise of fake news or misrepresentation of our current world events is highly problematic. Just watch FNC and CNBC and you'll see completely different reporting of the facts which is highlighted by both of them getting it wrong.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:05 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,271,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I love history but even when in school I thought "How can we ever keep up with learning history, there's so much of it and more made every year." A lot of history must be condensed and taught superficially unless specializing on the college level.

I learned a little Middle English in high school Honors English while we studied Chaucer, where has it gotten me?
Do I regret learning it? Never. Plus there were some pretty saucy tales.
I own a book called "Life in the Middle Ages" just because.
History is interesting but the way it must be taught in school is anything but.
One of the biggest and best things I learned in school was about the Great Schism, splitting from the Pope. I thought that was fascinating. If I learned anythng, I remember that. Everything else was mundane, except for the Civil War of the U.S., and briefly WWI and II. Yes, I found the assassination of whoever it was that started WWI fascinating and horrifying. We only touched on the periphery, not much insight, but I remember paying attention during those discussions. Later on in life I began learning more, but who has time?? I'm now trying to read a biography of Einstein, in between everything else I have to do (including these messages). Of course it's been some time since I went to school. :-) While history about certain things is interesting, we here in the U.S. learn mostly about American/English history. Not much about oriental countries, northern Europe, eastern Europe, maybe a few things about Russia. Maybe.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,271,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I agree but I find it far less concerning about people's knowledge of history than I do their understanding of the "current". The rise of fake news or misrepresentation of our current world events is highly problematic. Just watch FNC and CNBC and you'll see completely different reporting of the facts which is highlighted by both of them getting it wrong.
When I see the headlines, hear the reports, and read the articles after the headlines, I think: what?? hmmm?? and (huh?)

Old 01-15-2020, 02:16 AM

7,662 posts, read 4,649,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Because Seems some don't know about much of the history or such from that time. I once put a song on the radio that was in old english and for some reason a person thought they were singing in romanian or such. I wonder why some people seem ignorant to something that happened 1000 years ago.

I think it was harder then to record. Such a smooth ride in autos today compared to riding on a Brontosaurus then. But Americans really should step up their understanding of history.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,422,714 times
Only thing my school taught was pilgrim to 1812, every year, over and over. I did not learn anything about civil war till the history channel started.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:26 AM

12,435 posts, read 8,225,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Only thing my school taught was pilgrim to 1812, every year, over and over. I did not learn anything about civil war till the history channel started.
Same here in the 1970s except for a look a Greek mythology it was the most basic concepts of how the republic and democracy developed. If I wanted to learn more it was probably a movie which sparked me to read something about a subject

Old 01-15-2020, 07:34 AM

19,946 posts, read 9,498,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A really fun way to learn about history is to read historical fiction novels.

While not necessarily 100% correct on all the details sometimes, it motivates me to look up more stuff about it, etc.

Some fun novels include Pillars of the Earth, The Alienist, A WHOLE BUNCH of WWI and WWII novels, GWTW, the Dane Maddock series, blah blah blah...I could go on forever there are so freakin' many of every part of history.
I just read this great series by Daniel Kalla about the jews in WWII Shangai.
Oh, and this detective series set in Sri Lanka during the British occupation (Nuala).
Just so many things!
You beat me to it. I like history, but I admit that I am very ignorant about most of it and what prompts me to learn more are well-done movies (especially mini-series) and interesting books. The only thing about fiction, however, is that it so often distorts or outright lies about the truth -- but, again, at least they do prompt me to learn. Like you, one of my favorite novels and mini-series is The Pillars of the Earth. (If anyone had told me that I would ever enjoy a book about medieval cathedral building, I would have thought them insane.)

Other mini-series set before 1500 A.D. that I have enjoyed include Cadfael and The White Queen series; and I have enjoyed literally dozens of more modern historical novels and series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History