Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Cave drawings suggest that Art might have preceded Science in the development of human civilization. Given that, I would suggest that the writings of Homer made the great leap in in literature, which could be the fulcrum of modern thought.

Before Homer, language and writing both existed, but were not combined in an artistic form that enabled later users to access prior ideas other than the chronicles of the mighty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,918 times
I would say DNA sequencing and/or cloning.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM

61 posts, read 398,878 times
Creation and utilization of Fire (easier and more efficient to eat meat --> more calories ---> larger brains)

Agriculture (again more, albeit unhealthy calories) --> Societies

Computers

Old 03-30-2011, 04:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Default No one has mentioned steam power yet.

I just read through this entire thread for the first time. Several posters nominated the Industrial Revolution, but the specific development which enabled the Industrial Revolution was the ability to create steam and thereby create rotary motion of considerable force. Think how this multiplied the power of burning wood and coal, and in a revolutionary way. Steam power revolutionized manufacturing by turning large machines in series and steam power revolutionized transportation on both land and sea. On land, by the use of railroads, huge loads could now be moved with considerable reliability; before steam, horses, donkeys, and oxen were the movers of loads, and these loads were, by comparison, quite weight-limited. By sea, faster transportation of large vessels became possible with far greater reliability; no wind for a few days in a row? No problem. I believe the huge impact of steam power is generally underappreciated.

Thanks to the many contributors to this thread for an interesting read. My thesis in the pervious paragraph nominating steam power as the "single most significant event in all human history is arguable, I know. So many things make good candidates, especially the control of fire, agriculture, written language, the printing press, and the atomic bomb. Here's another one I don't remember being in the thread: powered flight (and to think it was just a little over 100 years ago!).

Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
the railroad and the telephone also the unions to help with the industrial revelution. I also do think the cure many illlness that killed people
and now we have this cure. No one person or event did this

Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,105 times
The American revolution

God bless America

Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
By convention, history begins with writing, which is the transition from Pre-history to Ancient History. "History" becomes a useful distinguishing term only if it differentiates between what man has told us, and what we infer from other data, because that transition represents a huge gulf of reliability. People who infer "history" from that unwritten data do not, as far as I know, typically call themselves historians.

Whether entry-level school history books preface themselves with a useful summary of prehistory is not, in my view, a compelling argument.
Ever heard of oral history? Oral tradition?

Guess you've never been around Native Americans.

A single historical event that forever changed the world. This is an objectional question, and for me it is the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Worst mistake we ever made. Once Einstien realized the destruction that would ensure he wrote that letter to President Roosevelt pleading to not do it, but it happened and it was evil.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM

769 posts, read 1,731,803 times
Definitely the Industrial Revolution. That's the reason why we have a first world and a third world today.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Ever heard of oral history? Oral tradition?

Oral history is not generally considered to meet the criteria of History, as an academic discipline, unless there are independent oral histories that attest to the same events. Oral traditions explaining how fire first came into use, for example, are notoriously whimsical, and no academic historian would give them credence.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:34 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Beer! All of man kinds accomplishments pale in comparison!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History