Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:33 PM

654 posts, read 3,461,679 times

Advertisements

I've had the desire for quite sometime to learn to compose and write my own music, mostly instrumental using a keyboard and soft synths in software.

Thing is, I have never played piano before (or keyboard) and I know its something that I will have to take the time and learn. I have some music background having played trumpet in my band days many moons ago. So some of the stuff is still in my mind.

However, I wonder if its still possible to learn piano, even at my current age, and I will be turning 35 next week. Reason i ask is, most kids I have seen (10-13 years and up) play pretty well with piano since their parents started them out when they were say, 5-6 years old. I would guess motivating them to play an instrument at such a young age.

I wish my parents have given me that inspiration when I was that age. But it seems that the older one gets, its a bit more challenging to learn because it requires a focused mind and of course lots of practice. I also will need to refresh myself on music theory since I have been out of it for so long.

I say nothing is impossible, but it may take more work to get into it and some determination. I will be doing this mostly as a hobby so nothing that will be done commercially. It would be cool to make my own music for my video projects and perhaps compose songs for a few friends as well.

What do you guys think? Is it too late? Think learning piano is still possible given my age? I may not be Elton John, but through hearing alot of his music and many others throughout the years gives me the inspiration that it can be done. If teenagers and young kids can do it, then I am sure I can too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,426,808 times
Thumbs up omg...

35 y/o...? You're just a baby...go get yourself a keyboard and knock your socks off....you have more than enough time...
Koale

Old 03-24-2012, 08:03 PM

21,639 posts, read 8,797,885 times
No, it's not too late. Go for it! There is a book on Amazon (at 56 pages it's a long pamphlet, really) that was written by a man who started learning piano even later in life. The book has lots of encouragement and some helpful suggestions for others who want to get started:

Memoirs of a Secret Pianist: Learning to Play the Piano in Later Life

Good luck! I'm 63, and playing the piano is still on my bucket list.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,248,038 times
It's never too late unless you want to win the Van Cliburn Competition. I'm 65 and still practicing several musical instruments almost daily. Maybe someday I'll be really good on all of them!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 AM

41 posts, read 90,201 times
As a composer of music (and getting on!) I can assure you it's never too late.
If you like soft synths get Omnisphere!

Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM

18,576 posts, read 18,881,087 times
go for it.. if you have the feeling in you to be imaginative. why not have a try.. and good luck..

Old 06-19-2012, 12:41 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,298,793 times
It's never too late. Hell, Grandma Moses didn't pick up a paintbrush until she was in her 70s.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,326,219 times
Definately go for it. If you don't get a piano, get a keyboard with FULL sized keys, like a Yamaha. If your learning on one with the smaller, closer ones then when you try playing on a real piano your 'reach' will be off.

And remember that you have the advantage of already knowing how to read music so all you need to learn is how to translate the music into technique and style. I just love making things up as I play and enjoying myself. Music is often a way to let go and enjoy the moment.

Thirty five? You got plenty of time. And things like crafts using the fingers and musical instruments keep your fingers limber and strong and flexable which helps put off the problems that age and fingers can present.

So go and make music and smile.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 PM

3,339 posts, read 6,013,431 times
It's definitely not to late!! 35 years old isn't "old" by most standards anyway.

I am mostly self-taught at piano. I started teaching myself when I was about 11 and then when I was 14 I took lessons for 2 years. The lessons helped me progress faster, but I think that was mostly due to the structure of having someone to report to every week.

I basically had not touched a piano for 15 years when I decided recently to play more regularly. It comes back fast and I'm confident I could learn to play really well if I really dedicate time to it. I think practicing on a schedule is the key to learning it and making progress. I'm 30 and if I can do it, you can do it.

I agree with the other poster who said to get a keyboard with full-size keys. That will make it much easier if you want to transition to an actual piano. Of course, if you have some space and some strong friends, you can probably get an upright piano for next to nothing on Craig's List too. So, maybe that's something to consider, depending on your particular situation. Four guys were able to move my grandma's piano into my house, which involved going up a half flight of stairs.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 AM

3 posts, read 5,119 times
Default Learning Piano (Keyboard): Is it too Late?

My friend's mom is 65 years old and she's still practicing.Go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation