Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

I hear ya..... really get into flinters if you want to see how many counter experts there are

I hear rocks burn even! LOL

I hear things like the charge can go bad over night, but somehow the powder in a can lasts for years.

All during a turkey shoot against all modern shotguns which I won with my Nor' West Gun, a flinter, I was disqualified for cheating. They didn't say exactly how I cheated, and I'll be dammned if I know myself. The tawkin was how flinters can't hit the broad side of a barn if yer locked in in it!

I shot round ball they shot slugs and what ever else fits in a shot shell.

That made me wish I had brought either my single shot Iver Johnson or my LC Smith double. I am happy just knowing I beat them all! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
GNR? I got CRS.

Howd you know I got gorilla arm hair ? But I don't have any hairs on my knuckels ,,,.
I have the gorilla arm hair, knuckles, and back hair. My wife calls me her sasquatch.

She joked about me dressing up in a suit to look like sasquatch. I reminded her we were in a county of 6000 people with 4000 active CCW permits, not to mention shotguns/rifles in the back window. I would be dressed out and tied on a hood most likely.

I sense a lack of a know it all, the forum seems sane now.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM

I nearly put on a scare crow outfit a neighbor had on his fence, when living on the mountain. We did a good bit of shooting together at each others places. I knew sometimes he shot that scare crow, and suddenly had a better thought to not do it!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
I have a few multi-tools, but only 2 TK Rinaldi knives. I like them both alot and could use a couple more.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:04 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Was planning on starting another thread, but thought Id ask here first:

What would you recommend as a good quality fixed blade combat knife?

What would you recommend as a good quality folder?

Want American made. Been looking at Spyderco folders (Tasman and Salt) and Kabar for fixed (standard marine knife).

Have a lot of friends who are into Filipino bladed arts and they all have their own personal favs and couldnt really recommend something for me.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Was planning on starting another thread, but thought Id ask here first:

What would you recommend as a good quality fixed blade combat knife?

What would you recommend as a good quality folder?

Want American made. Been looking at Spyderco folders (Tasman and Salt) and Kabar for fixed (standard marine knife).

Have a lot of friends who are into Filipino bladed arts and they all have their own personal favs and couldnt really recommend something for me.

There will be a lot to choose from.... My suggestion for that combat knife would be a hunter, maybe from cold steel. Something with a blade less than 5 inches long. It will do for fighting and it will do for eatting .

Longer blades are sweet looking, but can be less handy. I avoid serrated edges on a serious knife, but you might like that feature.

To me combat knives are mid way between things. Not as good as a big Bowie for smashing moose brisket, and too long for casual eatting and or light camp chores. I tend to like short fixed blades, smaller than many folders for detailed skinning. Doing game faces is hard with a too big a blade, but you probably won't be doing much of that anyway.

I really like Kershaw Onion assited folders, and Gerbers blades too. I like the thin slender Gerbers folders for skinning detail best, and use the Onions for basic camp chores.

These days you need to make sure what steel the blade is, as there are a lot of different steels for different uses. Over all I prefer carbon tool steels, but AUS 8 is a stainless I also like. H&K brand is another USA brand that uses that SS type.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Thanks Mac, that is good stuff to know. What blades I really like are either $300 plus or they are more than the 4" CA law allows for folders.

Looks like I'll be doing a lot more bodyguard work so I want more of a tactical fighter than a game knife. Like serrated edges because it'll cut through tough demim or leather.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Well there was that missing spec right from the get go. I had no clue what you wanted it for.

Still don't totally discount non-serated blades. They suck at things like sharpening a pencil, catching the lead point just as it gets close to being a point.

I agree the serrated edge can cut rope, leather, seat belts, and canvass like materials well, but this
tiny home made blade slices 9/16th inch elk neck as if the elk neck were butter.

That was sort of a surprize to me. This tiny blade is a remnant of a forged hunter I made. The blade cracked in heat treating, and I saved this little bit for kicks. It is my favorite leather cutter for leather sewwing projects.

This is one leather sewwing project that blade did, from cutting the leather to cutting the threads.

That blade lives in a hat band of my most worn hat, and I made the hat.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM

That is nice.

I picked up a couple today at lunch. Will probably head back this weekend to get a couple more that Ive been eyeing. ColdSteel is not too far from my house and I was unable to get to their annual parking lot sale.

Today, I got a Spyderco Police and a Benchmade mini-griptilian. Want a Ka-bar and this nice CRKT mini Tighe and a Cold Steel Spartan and I'll be done shopping for a while.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Lao, I like this one, but don't own one
KA-BAR Full-Size Fighting Knife 7" Black Plain Blade, Leather Sheath - Knifecenter.com

This cold steel master hunter floats my stick big time. The one with out the gut hook
Master Hunter : Hunting and Outdoors (Fixed Blades)

The only thing I don't like about it is the lanyard hole. Now I like that hole, but i would want it to not be a 'live liner' if you cut a hot wire. I will have one of those one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation