Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:30 AM

34 posts, read 44,886 times

Advertisements

Rather than bring up an old thread, I thought I would start a new one.

I am looking to get into the RC Heli hobby. I did some looking and have decided on getting a Honey Bee fixed pitch to start. There is a new version about to be released that is much better than the older version. I've been practicing on a flight simulator until I can get the real thing. I know the simulator is not the same but it will at least give me a slight edge and hopefully save me a few bucks in repairs. I've looked into joining a local club but they want too much money to be a member so I'll have to stick with free on line clubs.

There was a few people posting here about getting into the hobby, how did it go for you, are you still flying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
i bought a 50 dollar heli to learn with and it's going pretty good. from what i have seen the honey bee isn't a bad heli to fly. i beleave it's a little more expensive than mine. hey have fun learning i know i am.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Coolest darned things I've ever seen.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:32 PM

34 posts, read 44,886 times
A $50 heli is a great deal! Coaxial or fixed pitch? Either way you got a great deal and can have a lot of fun and not worry too much about it.

I found out that the Honey Bee 2 is shipping so I'll be ordering it soon. It's still not shipping in the US, just Hong Kong so it will take little longer to arrive.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
I have a Falcon 40 fixed pitch and a HoneyBee King 2, haven't had any time to fly them, definetly takes time to master, mine are probably gonna go up on ebay, just don't have the time any more

Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 PM

231 posts, read 630,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I have a Falcon 40 fixed pitch and a HoneyBee King 2, haven't had any time to fly them, definetly takes time to master, mine are probably gonna go up on ebay, just don't have the time any more
How would a fixed pitch helicopter move without rolling over? The concept of helicopter flight is variable pitch of the rotors. Of course I have seen models do things real ones cannot do, so maybe. Just curious.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
How would a fixed pitch helicopter move without rolling over? The concept of helicopter flight is variable pitch of the rotors. Of course I have seen models do things real ones cannot do, so maybe. Just curious.
There are 2 basic main rotor controls on a helicopter. We won't get into the tail rotor stuff here.
One is collective. This changes the pitch angle of the blades themselves to create more or less amount of lift at a given rotor RPM.
On fixed pitch blades lift can be controlled by the speed of the RPM to increase or decrease lift.

The 2nd control is cyclic. This tilts the rotor head fore, aft, right, left, or any degree of a complete circle. This gives direction.
A chopper can not be controlled without cyclic control.
But lift can be controlled with fixed pitch blades by engine/rotor RPM.
If you were to take a boxed window fan and hold it horizontal then tilt or lower the front or the sides you might feel a difference in the directional pull if the fan is on high speed. That is cyclic control.
If you put the fan on low you might notice less change. You would be controlling lift by contolling the speed of the fan. You didn't change the pitch of the blades. Because the pitch is fixed but you could still change directional control by tilting the fan in any direction. If there isn't enough fan speed to create lift then there can't be any effective cyclic control. Something has to create motion (lift) before the direction of motion can be changed. (I am not recommending you do this. It is just an exaggerated example)

By the way, flying a helicopter is like trying to control a horizontal fan in such a way so that what is hanging beneath it goes where you want it to at the speed and height you want it to.

Last edited by Robhu; 08-24-2009 at 11:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 AM

231 posts, read 630,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
There are 2 basic main rotor controls on a helicopter. We won't get into the tail rotor stuff here.
One is collective. This changes the pitch angle of the blades themselves to create more or less amount of lift at a given rotor RPM.
On fixed pitch blades lift can be controlled by the speed of the RPM to increase or decrease lift.

The 2nd control is cyclic. This tilts the rotor head fore, aft, right, left, or any degree of a complete circle. This gives direction.
A chopper can not be controlled without cyclic control.
But lift can be controlled with fixed pitch blades by engine/rotor RPM.
If you were to take a boxed window fan and hold it horizontal then tilt or lower the front or the sides you might feel a difference in the directional pull if the fan is on high speed. That is cyclic control.
If you put the fan on low you might notice less change. You would be controlling lift by contolling the speed of the fan. You didn't change the pitch of the blades. Because the pitch is fixed but you could still change directional control by tilting the fan in any direction. If there isn't enough fan speed to create lift then there can't be any effective cyclic control. Something has to create motion (lift) before the direction of motion can be changed. (I am not recommending you do this. It is just an exaggerated example)

By the way, flying a helicopter is like trying to control a horizontal fan in such a way so that what is hanging beneath it goes where you want it to at the speed and height you want it to.
Thanks. I know how a helicopter flies having several thousand hours as pilot and CFI. I was curious how you overcame the dissymmetry of lift with a fixed pitch rotor since the blades don't articulate. So its done by moving the control head. Interesting. I have seen model helis do amazing stunts. What I thought was an out of control beginner was actually an expert going through a routine! Pivoting around the tailrotor in a vertical plane. he was good. Also got to watch the jets! Total awesome. When airborne looked and sounded like a real one. His even had airbrakes. It looked like a real one sitting on the ground too.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud70 View Post
A $50 heli is a great deal! Coaxial or fixed pitch? Either way you got a great deal and can have a lot of fun and not worry too much about it.

I found out that the Honey Bee 2 is shipping so I'll be ordering it soon. It's still not shipping in the US, just Hong Kong so it will take little longer to arrive.
yeah it's a fixed pitch. this is what mine looks like. it's a good learner so atleast if i crash it i'm not out hundreds.
http://i18.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/21/c5/6e5b_35.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
yeah it's a fixed pitch. this is what mine looks like. it's a good learner so at least if I crash it I'm not out hundreds.
That's one of the things, I do not like about those RC vehicles.
Not much you can fix, unless you replace with the original replacement part.

Unlike balsa and/or foam rc airplanes, you can fix and fix and fix and fix ......
Oh well .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation