Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I hope this has not been mentioned yet. How about Saint John in New Brunswick Province? Nova Scotia, and Maine can go to the games too.Maybe somewhere in between Saskatoon, and Regina.
Seriously, that little rinky dink town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Which one: Regina, Saskatoon, or Saint John?The surrounding areas of all three loves their hockey. I do not see any other option that will give you such steady base of followers. Even the Thrashers had to move from a major US metro to a small size Canadien city. Maine and Nova Scotia can trek it to Saint John. Regina and Saskatoon are the biggest cities in the only canadien province without an NHL team. If Quebec City is not the consensus #1 city next to get a franchise, then I see no other options for Canada. How big is hockey in Wisconsin, or Washington State?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:21 AM

127 posts, read 192,459 times
Here's my depth chart. Based primarily on market potential, rather than current ownership sponsors (or lack thereof):

1) Quebec City- The arena is on the way. Le Colisee is decent for a temporary home. The passion for hockey is there. Most importantly, it's a passion for Nordiques hockey. Small market, but I think it's clear that places like Winnipeg and Quebec City have their place in a 30-team league.

2) Houston- Boom or bust. Could be another San Jose. Could be another Atlanta. Toyota Center is ready to go. A successful Houston market would be a huge get for the NHL. There's a decent track record with the minor league Aeros.

3) Hamilton / Toronto2 / SE Ontario- I feel like any location outside of Hamilton is like creating the LA Clippers of the NHL. The problem with Hamilton is that you're within the territorial radius of Toronto and Buffalo. I'm not sure that this really grows the sport, but I have little doubt that an owner can make money here.

4) Kansas City- Much less upside than Houston. However, the arena is there and this is is a pretty good sports town. I think they could do well with either an NHL or NBA team.

5) Portland- Tremendous support of the Blazers and MLS. I would like to see them get a crack at another pro sport. They have a good track record with junior hockey and Rose Garden should work as a permanent home if PA were willing to embrace the idea. I actually think this might make a better destination for an MLB team.

6) Seattle- With arena financing, you could make an argument for promoting Seattle to the top of the list. However, there's no doubt in my mind that Seattle should get the Sonics back before anything else. I wouldn't put it past Seattle to support both the NBA & NHL during the rainy season. However, that is awfully saturated.

7) Hartford- Whalers v 2.0 has potential to shoot up to the board with a new arena plan and ownership. However, neither ingredient appears to be there at the moment. I would love to see this sweater back in the league. The potential is there to be a stronger (although somewhat less fanatical) version of Quebec.

8) Milwaukee-Madison- Emphasis on Milwaukee. Although Bradley Center in its current form is a workable temporary home, I think it would take a partnership with the Bucks for a new or renovated arena for the NHL in Wisconsin to get any real traction. I've heard that Wirtz is a strong opponent of a Milwaukee team. However, I believe Milwaukee is well outside of the Hawks territorial claim and Wisconsin is represented in the three other major league sports.

Madison would be a HUGE long shot, but it's an affluent market with strong roots in hockey, not that much smaller than Winnipeg. There's no shortage of natural rivals, and there should be a healthy draw from Milwaukee and its suburbs. However, it would be hard to find ownership willing to take on a market this small, while also competing with Badgers hockey and basketball. I can't imagine UW would be willing to partner up for use of the Kohl Center.

9) Atlanta- It's probably too soon. However, ATL will only move up the board as time heals all wounds. The upside is obvious. It's also obvious that this market won't support a perennial loser. You give Thrasher fans the success that Colorado, Dallas, and San Jose enjoyed, and we may very well be talking about Atlanta as one of the successful sunbelt markets. The bridge would appear burnt down at the moment.

10) Tulsa - Oklahoma City- Emphasis on Tulsa. Oklahoma City was in the hunt for an NHL expansion team prior to becoming a smashing success at the NBA box office. You can make a case that OKC might be able to carry that success on to the ice, but I actually think Tulsa and their brand new arena would make a better option if the NHL came knocking. The Tulsa metro is right at the million mark. I think they would have to go with a Oklahoma branding to help draw from OKC (I thought it was a mistake for the Thunder to designate OK City)

11) Austin - San Antonio- AT&T Center could serve as a temporary home. However, I think Austin would be the ultimate destination with a new arena. Austin is cosmopolitan and one of the larger metros without professional sports. Although, the Longhorns are formidable, they do not have a D1 hockey offering.

12) Omaha- It's on the small side, but the arena is there for someone looking for a monopoly.

13) Las Vegas- It would make some waves, but I can't see it given he current climate. Thomas & Mack would work for a temporary home, but a new arena is needed.

14) Grand Rapids- Van Andel seats 11k for hockey. I'm not sure if expansion to 15k is feasible. Even if it is, it might be difficult to make head way in Red Wings country.

15) Cleveland- I can't see it as long as the Blue Jackets are in Columbus. If Cleveland is out of the running, so is Cincinnati.

16) Hampton Roads- A large market with out professional sports. They were a potential landing site for the Whalers, but I think the Hurricanes are a little too close for comfort. One of the other pro sports would probably be more successful.

17) Albuquerque- An arena is needed. But this might be the place in the future for an NBA or NHL team looking for an untamed market.

Others

Saskatoon- I would love to see it. But it's far too small for a 41-game schedule played in Winter.

Halifax- see Saskatoon
Boise- long way out

Spokane- see Boise

San Francisco- only if the Sharks relocate to a new arena in the future

Sacramento- one team town. If they won't build a new arena for the Kings, they won't build one for hockey.

Salt Lake City- I can't see the Jazz and the NHL coexisting.

New Orleans- Culture shock. Hands are full with Saints and Hornets.

Little Rock - too small, culture shock.

Des Moines- too small

Indianapolis- Conseco is only suitable as a temporary home.

Louisville- Culture shock. NBA would be a better fit.

Memphis- Culture shock. Grizz don't need the competition.

Orlando- Proximity to Tampa.

Charlotte- Proximity to Raleigh.

Baltimore- Arena needed. There are better hockey markets to saturate.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:54 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
New Orleans already has a hockey team. The Official Site of The New Orleans Brass

Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Never liked watching hockey on tv. While in the Navy, my hometown got a hockey team. Wasn't interested. Future wife took me to the game and it was exciting. Haven't been back there since her spinal problems have gotten worse. She loves to watch the game but it's too painful for her to sit through a whole game. My brother-in-law was almost killed when he gave my sister hockey game tickets for their anniversary, glass side seats. She went anyway. She was almost evicted from the dome. She was cursing out the other team's players. Then one of them checked the home team player against the glass. She cursed him. He then skated past her and blew her a kiss. Security had to pull her off the glass. She was trying to get on the rink to go after him. Now she has to watch her blood pressure so she doesn't go. This is our local team
IceGators.com l Home of the Louisiana IceGators

Old 12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Atlanta

The fans have been screwed royally out of two franchises because of bad ownership and other circumstances. None having to do with fan support.

The largest television market without a team: Atlanta
It's not happening....

Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
Here's my depth chart. Based primarily on market potential, rather than current ownership sponsors (or lack thereof):

1) Quebec City- The arena is on the way. Le Colisee is decent for a temporary home. The passion for hockey is there. Most importantly, it's a passion for Nordiques hockey. Small market, but I think it's clear that places like Winnipeg and Quebec City have their place in a 30-team league.

2) Houston- Boom or bust. Could be another San Jose. Could be another Atlanta. Toyota Center is ready to go. A successful Houston market would be a huge get for the NHL. There's a decent track record with the minor league Aeros.

3) Hamilton / Toronto2 / SE Ontario- I feel like any location outside of Hamilton is like creating the LA Clippers of the NHL. The problem with Hamilton is that you're within the territorial radius of Toronto and Buffalo. I'm not sure that this really grows the sport, but I have little doubt that an owner can make money here.

4) Kansas City- Much less upside than Houston. However, the arena is there and this is is a pretty good sports town. I think they could do well with either an NHL or NBA team.

5) Portland- Tremendous support of the Blazers and MLS. I would like to see them get a crack at another pro sport. They have a good track record with junior hockey and Rose Garden should work as a permanent home if PA were willing to embrace the idea. I actually think this might make a better destination for an MLB team.

6) Seattle- With arena financing, you could make an argument for promoting Seattle to the top of the list. However, there's no doubt in my mind that Seattle should get the Sonics back before anything else. I wouldn't put it past Seattle to support both the NBA & NHL during the rainy season. However, that is awfully saturated.

7) Hartford- Whalers v 2.0 has potential to shoot up to the board with a new arena plan and ownership. However, neither ingredient appears to be there at the moment. I would love to see this sweater back in the league. The potential is there to be a stronger (although somewhat less fanatical) version of Quebec.

8) Milwaukee-Madison- Emphasis on Milwaukee. Although Bradley Center in its current form is a workable temporary home, I think it would take a partnership with the Bucks for a new or renovated arena for the NHL in Wisconsin to get any real traction. I've heard that Wirtz is a strong opponent of a Milwaukee team. However, I believe Milwaukee is well outside of the Hawks territorial claim and Wisconsin is represented in the three other major league sports.

Madison would be a HUGE long shot, but it's an affluent market with strong roots in hockey, not that much smaller than Winnipeg. There's no shortage of natural rivals, and there should be a healthy draw from Milwaukee and its suburbs. However, it would be hard to find ownership willing to take on a market this small, while also competing with Badgers hockey and basketball. I can't imagine UW would be willing to partner up for use of the Kohl Center.

9) Atlanta- It's probably too soon. However, ATL will only move up the board as time heals all wounds. The upside is obvious. It's also obvious that this market won't support a perennial loser. You give Thrasher fans the success that Colorado, Dallas, and San Jose enjoyed, and we may very well be talking about Atlanta as one of the successful sunbelt markets. The bridge would appear burnt down at the moment.

10) Tulsa - Oklahoma City- Emphasis on Tulsa. Oklahoma City was in the hunt for an NHL expansion team prior to becoming a smashing success at the NBA box office. You can make a case that OKC might be able to carry that success on to the ice, but I actually think Tulsa and their brand new arena would make a better option if the NHL came knocking. The Tulsa metro is right at the million mark. I think they would have to go with a Oklahoma branding to help draw from OKC (I thought it was a mistake for the Thunder to designate OK City)

11) Austin - San Antonio- AT&T Center could serve as a temporary home. However, I think Austin would be the ultimate destination with a new arena. Austin is cosmopolitan and one of the larger metros without professional sports. Although, the Longhorns are formidable, they do not have a D1 hockey offering.

12) Omaha- It's on the small side, but the arena is there for someone looking for a monopoly.

13) Las Vegas- It would make some waves, but I can't see it given he current climate. Thomas & Mack would work for a temporary home, but a new arena is needed.

14) Grand Rapids- Van Andel seats 11k for hockey. I'm not sure if expansion to 15k is feasible. Even if it is, it might be difficult to make head way in Red Wings country.

15) Cleveland- I can't see it as long as the Blue Jackets are in Columbus. If Cleveland is out of the running, so is Cincinnati.

16) Hampton Roads- A large market with out professional sports. They were a potential landing site for the Whalers, but I think the Hurricanes are a little too close for comfort. One of the other pro sports would probably be more successful.

17) Albuquerque- An arena is needed. But this might be the place in the future for an NBA or NHL team looking for an untamed market.

Others

Saskatoon- I would love to see it. But it's far too small for a 41-game schedule played in Winter.

Halifax- see Saskatoon
Boise- long way out

Spokane- see Boise

San Francisco- only if the Sharks relocate to a new arena in the future

Sacramento- one team town. If they won't build a new arena for the Kings, they won't build one for hockey.

Salt Lake City- I can't see the Jazz and the NHL coexisting.

New Orleans- Culture shock. Hands are full with Saints and Hornets.

Little Rock - too small, culture shock.

Des Moines- too small

Indianapolis- Conseco is only suitable as a temporary home.

Louisville- Culture shock. NBA would be a better fit.

Memphis- Culture shock. Grizz don't need the competition.

Orlando- Proximity to Tampa.

Charlotte- Proximity to Raleigh.

Baltimore- Arena needed. There are better hockey markets to saturate.
Good post. One of the better in this thread. Good thoughts but too optimistic on some of these cities/towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's not happening....
They've had the Flames and the Thrashers. Absolutely not happening again.

Fool me once...

Old 12-28-2011, 11:18 AM

Oh, almost forgot. Little Rock also has a minor league hockey team. Check some of the minor leagues and you may fine cities already on your list. Arkansas RiverBlades - Ice Hockey Wiki

Correction, they had a minor league hockey team but it recently shut down.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
New Orleans already has a hockey team. The Official Site of The New Orleans Brass

I would say the the vast majority of the markets I have ranked have either top level junior hockey, or an AHL franchise. Exceptions would be Atlanta, Omaha, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and KC. Omaha has D1 hockey and was recently in the AHL. Vegas and KC also had IHL franchises not too long ago. Just about any sizable market is going to have a lower level minor league team or something in the vicinity.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Good post. One of the better in this thread. Good thoughts but too optimistic on some of these cities/towns.

To clarify, I consider the 'others' to have pretty much zilch chance in the next 15-20 years.

I think you can make a case that the top 10-13 would at least garner a look from any franchise looking to relocate in the next decade (or an expansion committee), given a proper alignment of civic initiative and prospective ownership groups.

I agree that options are VERY limited for any team looking to make a move in the next year.

I would say Quebec City is the pick if you're looking for a sure thing at the gate. It seems KC has displayed the most initiative of any American market. They're probably the pick if you want an arena-ready site from the get go.

You can't discount southern Ontario, but that will meet a lot of opposition. There are some rumblings of a new arena in Seattle/Bellevue, but nothing imminent. Hartford is a ways off and I haven't heard of any renovation plans for Milwaukee.

Due to arena ownership and lease agreements, any NHL team in Houston or Portland will have to go through Les Alexander or Paul Allen. There doesn't seem to be any immediate interest from those camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey