Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Colour me mildly surprised.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Therrien is the Habs coach today if Julien is still coach of the Bruins today.

The one firing begat the other.

But the timing is the most surprising aspect to me. I thought Therrien would at least get a couple of weeks after the 5-day break to see if the ship was right-able. The team was finally healthy and would be rested. Julien would most likely still be cashing Boston's paycheque and available if things went further south.

But as my dear old Dad often said, 'You never know...'.

And the Groundhog Day aspect of history repeating itself with Julien Replacing Therrien Round 2 adds an extra dimension to this scenario.

I've bled bleu, blanc et rouge for over 50 years, so I'm biased. But I believe this team has a chance to sip from Lord Stanley's mug - for the first time in way-too-many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:51 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I didn't like them trading Weber for Subban then and I don't know. The return was probably fair, but I think there's a lot that backs up that Subban is the better player now and going forward. Not to mention that Weber is signed until he's like 41? Thanks to Holmgren and Philly throwing that offer sheet at him and Nashville having to match.

Therrien is one of the worst head coaches in the league. He stunk his first tenure there, he stunk in Pittsburgh, he's worthless now.
I have to agree with this. Defense was never really the issue. The offense needed major upgrades. So they got Radulov. Great. Not enough. And then trading Subban, the number one puck carrier and center ice play maker on the team in exchange for a "more reliable" defenseman whose sole offensive strength is his slap shot was pretty pointless.
Therrien's dump and chase system is what has to go. It might work for the first few games of the season, but once teams adjust, it falls flat, as evidenced by last season, and now this season.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:32 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
As Bergevin makes all the trades and the team hasnt accomplished much since his arrival i'm surprised theres no talk of getting rid of Marc Bergevin.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:30 PM

140 posts, read 88,836 times
100% Therrien's fault if the Sens win the division. 3 games in hand right now and only 4 points out. Habs have 24 games left.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:09 AM

They've eked out 3 wins in a row to finish February. It'll be a dogfight the rest of the way. Ottawa has games in hand.

Heading into the fun part of the season.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:36 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As Bergevin makes all the trades and the team hasnt accomplished much since his arrival i'm surprised theres no talk of getting rid of Marc Bergevin.
A quick postseason exit should lead to the exit of Bergevin.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:32 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
They've eked out 3 wins in a row to finish February. It'll be a dogfight the rest of the way. Ottawa has games in hand.

Heading into the fun part of the season.
They're winning again... But barely. OT wins and a lucky last-second goal vs Nashville... This isn't a team that will be able to win four out of 7 against any real contender.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
They're winning again... But barely. OT wins and a lucky last-second goal vs Nashville... This isn't a team that will be able to win four out of 7 against any real contender.
We'll see.

They're looking more and more like the team that started 13-1-1. Price seems rejuvenated. I think he needed that 5-day break more than anyone. Jordie Benn has fit in nicely on the back end. Their 4th line is bigger and more abrasive. Gallagher seems to be re-finding his game.

If they can get the 2nd and 3rd lines to chip in a goal here and there, I think they'll make some noise this spring.

The Cup is WAY overdue to land north of the border.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM

140 posts, read 88,836 times
I've said this for years. They'll go as far as Price takes them. If they can become a team that's 3 lines deep and all 6 d-men contribute, they can make a run.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:16 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
They've actually won five in a row if you count OT wins. Most of the wins have come against some pretty good teams: Nashville, Columbus, NYR... Even Toronto isn't so bad this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey