Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 05:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,026,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I live in a neighborhood with all side or rear entry garages. The solution? Alleys. It's too bad those went out of style. Preserves the lot size/back yard and you get a nice "service entrance". No need for garbage cans and whatnot on the street.
How funny, I thought the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,059,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
and you don't really get a back yard that way.
absolutely not true - we have a large back yard and rear garage entries as well....the vast majority of homes in our subdivision have rear entry garages with large back yards.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,665 times
Quote:
Alleys. It's too bad those went out of style.
Alleys were great, I miss them too.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,026,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
absolutely not true - we have a large back yard and rear garage entries as well....the vast majority of homes in our subdivision have rear entry garages with large back yards.
There are a lot of newer subdivisions down here with the same thing, and they are not on big lots.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
and you don't really get a back yard that way.
Maybe some of the other posters can tell me their personal experience, because I don't want to say something that's untrue. However, I've only encountered rear entry garages in upscale neighborhoods. And, more often than not, the lots are not small and everyone has a yard.

I grew up in two houses, both had rear entry garages, and both had huge yards with pools and what not.

I won't even consider a house with a front entry garage.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:11 PM

205 posts, read 479,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Colorful statues of buffalos (maybe this is a local thing )
Gasp! I love those...

Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,800,665 times
My old house was on a street of ranch style houses built in 1960-62. On my side of the street the garages were on the front, under the house in the basement level. Across the street the houses had yards that sloped downhill. Their garages were all in the back, also in the basement level. After that we moved to a house in the same general area, built in the early 70's, 2 story, also with a garage in the basement level, rear entry.
Building a garage under the house is the cheapest way to go, as long as the lot is sloped right for it.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Maybe some of the other posters can tell me their personal experience, because I don't want to say something that's untrue. However, I've only encountered rear entry garages in upscale neighborhoods. And, more often than not, the lots are not small and everyone has a yard.

I grew up in two houses, both had rear entry garages, and both had huge yards with pools and what not.

I won't even consider a house with a front entry garage.
Am I picturing the right thing? a garage attached to the house, but that you enter from an alley? My friend has that. No back yard. 2 small side yards.

The other thing I'm picturing is a house on acreage where you have space to do whatever you want. Most people can't afford that or would rather live in town.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
Design-wise, what do you wish would go out of style?
Bare floors
Curtain-less windows
Furniture in the middle of the room
TELEVISIONS in every flippin' room of the house
Garages in the FRONT of the house (ugly ugly ugly)
Electric stoves
Fake 9 pane windows (real ones are so much nicer)
plastic anything (everything).

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,151,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
I'm sure some of these have been mentioned but I wish these would go out of style...(or just go away all together)...

Stainless/Granite kitchens
2-story foyers
Garages that stick out of the front of a house
Tiny bedrooms
Great rooms - the ones that incorporate living/family/dining and kitchen areas all into one
Plastic shower surrounds
Vinyl sided chimneys
Homes on .25 acre lots

Hey! I like you. You think like me!!!!

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating