Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I am trying to arrange my den. I'm not sure how to best lay out the furniture and tried a few different ways. Any suggestions appreciated. I need to still put an area rug down.

The main problems for me seem to be how to arrange the end table and coffee table. I'm not sure which way they should face. Or, maybe I should move the end table somewhere else.

BTW--I just mounted the TV, have not had a change to take care of the cords, also the fireplace is not completely done, I need to rewash the brick where the mantle was and I will paint the brass black with high heat paint.

Flickr: troli42's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56729671@N05/ - broken link)
I have never been a fan of having furniture out in the middle of the room. I think that sofas, love seats, etc., look infinitely better against a wall. Call me old fashioned. I would put a lamp in front of the window. I love to drive by windows and night and see lamps in the window. It looks so cozy and welcoming. I would also put some bright colors into the room, red, pink, blue. It looks so dull and unhappy the way it is now.

just my 2 cents.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:50 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have never been a fan of having furniture out in the middle of the room. I think that sofas, love seats, etc., look infinitely better against a wall. Call me old fashioned. I would put a lamp in front of the window. I love to drive by windows and night and see lamps in the window. It looks so cozy and welcoming. I would also put some bright colors into the room, red, pink, blue. It looks so dull and unhappy the way it is now.

just my 2 cents.

20yrsinBranson
The lamps (in the link) are not in the window but this is a neutral room that isn't bland.

entrances/foyers - rustic wood iron trestle console table glass column lamps pleated linen lamp shades white pitcher gilt gold frames art gallery soft gray walls paint color entrance foyer

Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It's a very nice room, but it's not for me. Perhaps some green plants would help. I just love a riot of color. To me color = life. Give me all the colors of the flowers, the rainbow. I would walk into a room and break into a smile. After all, aren't we supposed to be joyous in our own home? I think so.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's a very nice room, but it's not for me. Perhaps some green plants would help. I just love a riot of color. To me color = life. Give me all the colors of the flowers, the rainbow. I would walk into a room and break into a smile. After all, aren't we supposed to be joyous in our own home? I think so.

20yrsinBranson

True...different strokes for different folks. I love having a neutral base because I love being able to change out my accessories, art and other decorative items (in different colors and styles) without having to paint walls, change the furniture, etc. The living room in the link in neutral but not bland and can be infused with pops of color very easily.

living rooms - Benjamin Moore - Camouflage - Candice Olson mirror wingback chair sofa leather ottoman Candice Olson traditional living room, room &searchType=photos

Also, I think that bright colors on walls can be intimidating and is an absolute mess when done wrong. In accessories to sadd a punch YES, on walls NO (unless you have the gift of a great eye)

Old 01-02-2011, 08:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
BTW, I took these pictures yesterday when it was very dreary outside
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ (broken link)
I can't access the pictures. It wants a yahoo ID. Mine didn't work. I'm assuming I need your yahoo ID.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I was able to find the new pictures from the link earlier in the thread.

Your room has come a long way. It's starting to look fantastic---very pulled together.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 AM

759 posts, read 3,145,145 times
Ok, house is up for sale, the den pics, I think, turned out well. I ended up painting just the fireplace hearth a grayish-blue and decorated it as well. I was having the most difficulty with it, because everything else was updated.

1713 WINTHROP LN, Schaumburg, Schaumburg, IL - MLS 07725337 - Estately (http://www.estately.com/listings/info/1713-winthrop-lane - broken link)

Old 02-06-2011, 01:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Wow, what a change. Very nicely done.

Be certain to get a basket for those surgeons shoe covers because you do not want people tracking in snow/salt all over you floors. People are usually willing to remove shoes in bad weather if you put up a nice sign and offer an alternative.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
Love it!

Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM

9 posts, read 18,124 times
I think the furniture is just too large for the area. You may want to empty the room and slowly bring the pieces in. Its important to define that space for what it is. It seems like a tv room so try the small sofa facing the tv and an accent chair off to the side. you'll have room then. But I really think the sofas are too bulky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating