Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:12 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

What I mean is...everywhere I go I mentally redecorate. Every so often, I see something so alarming that it makes me cringe.

The other day I went to the doctor's office. I had already mentally redecorated the waiting room, which was depressingly drab in shades of tan, green and mauve and faded drab art. There was a huge lamp on a teeny side table...but the worst was yet to come.

In the exam room I was forced to view a counter top and cabinet of Formica in a design MADE TO LOOK LIKE UNFINISHED FIBERBOARD. I just had to avert my eyes as best I could.

What sets your decorating alarm off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times
LOl~ Well it work!!! They took your mind off the fact your in the doc's office~...

I'm guilty of wanting to clean up messy homes....

Old 07-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
LOl~ Well it work!!! They took your mind off the fact your in the doc's office~...

I'm guilty of wanting to clean up messy homes....
That's a peeve of mine, too. I hate garages full of junk. Garages are for cars.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:40 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Oh lots of things bother me. The DIYers who buy cheap junk materials from the big orange who only wants their little green then install it themselves and the lack of workmanship is very hard not to laugh in their face. But they are so proud they did it themselves. Little to their knowledge everyone is pointing and laughing.

And those who have white kitchens because there were several pictures in the magazine of such so they think it's "in style". Despicable! Or worse yet....painting cabinets.

I love the amateur paint jobs. Not a straight line in the whole room. How about the patch jobs on drywall Joe handyman homeowner does? Looks like the Atlantic Ocean on a windy day. Or the Joe handyman tile jobs without a straight seem in the room.....oh but Home Depot had those tiles on sale for 99 cents each!!! How bout those $4.99 curtains from Walmart?

While these are not necessarily decorating issues but rather people trying to save a few pennies but lowering the value of their homes with shoddy work.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Are you a man, desert? I'm sure men (or handy women) look at different things than we unhandy people do. I do notice cheap and bad DIY too, but I cut some slack for people who can't afford a professional, or are trying to learn.

I should add that I have nothing against plastic, metal, concrete, or other modern materials when used properly. I'm all for new and innovative materials which can be better than the old ways. Just don't try to make plastic look like wood, or stained glass windows, or ceramic tile. etc, etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:29 AM

672 posts, read 2,114,337 times
Recently, I went into a house where the bead board was installed sideways so the lines were running horizontally around the room. I'll admit that it drove me a little nuts until I was able to leave.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
LOL. I'm glad I am not the only one that mentally redecorates or cleans people's homes.

Oh where do I begin!

Odd color schemes drive me nuts.

When people paint their trim work extremely bold and disgusting colors.

Matching everything. Blue carpet, blue walls, blue sofa, blue chair, blue drapes....etc etc

Buying furniture that is way too large for a room or too much of it

Mixing wood flooring. Oak in the hall, walnut in the living room. I cant count how many times people have said, "hey, I got this flooring on clearance!" Fantastic but if it doesn't work in your home, its not a deal.

White plastic Vertical blinds that are found in cheap apartments and offices. Please dont use them in your home.

Or cheap plastic blinds that your kid destroyed but you leave the blind hanging up anyway. If 10 slats are missing, please shell out the 5 bucks and put a new one up.

Mauve anything

Cheap ceiling fans that are white with brass accents

Fake greenery above kitchen cabinets or in the bathroom

Hanging artwork too high, crooked or odd spacing

Knick knacks everywhere. "Oh I just love owls" so they litter their homes with everything owl.

Tab top curtains hung on non decorative rods.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM

OH THANKS for the visuals, fallingwater, now I'll never be able to sleep again. I agree, the worst thing ever invented is verticle blinds, and fake plants.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
Recently, I went into a house where the bead board was installed sideways so the lines were running horizontally around the room. I'll admit that it drove me a little nuts until I was able to leave.
Yikes, you just reminded me of when my SIL (clueless at decorating) ran wallpaper horizontally around a room.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
How bout those $4.99 curtains from Walmart?
Actually...I just hung a few sheer panels in my bedroom to frame a 9' window. They look good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating