Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Some decorating mistakes that make me crazy include:

Bubble sofas - not sure what the name is but couches that have three bubbles of fabric or leather. Many are sectionals, and although they originated in the 1980s they persist today. Some have a place where one can Keep a sixpack of soft drinks or beer. They may be comfortable - they are UGLY!
Those are virtually the ugliest piece of furniture one can own.
The ones with drink places are a-w-f-u-l!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Those are virtually the ugliest piece of furniture one can own.
The ones with drink places are a-w-f-u-l!!
Didja know you can get coolers in the really fugly ones?
They're built in.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 PM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times
Quote:
Bubble sofas - not sure what the name is but couches that have three bubbles of fabric or leather. Many are sectionals, and although they originated in the 1980s they persist today. Some have a place where one can Keep a sixpack of soft drinks or beer. They may be comfortable - they are UGLY!
They are called bustle-backs. Though my first post-college roommate and I called ours "fat folds."

Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
They're built in.

Girl your killin me !!!

My cousin has a sofa that I don't know how it is done but like a snack tray thingy kinda pops up so it almost feels like your in a hospital bed I guess he planned on watching TV and eating....it sounds sick, but I was like, huh??? what kind of tricks does your couch do????

When he showed me, I was almost afraid of it !!!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Girl your killin me !!!

My cousin has a sofa that I don't know how it is done but like a snack tray thingy kinda pops up so it almost feels like your in a hospital bed I guess he planned on watching TV and eating....it sounds sick, but I was like, huh??? what kind of tricks does your couch do????

When he showed me, I was almost afraid of it !!!
OMG!!!!!
When Lazyboy came out with the cooler in the sofa thing, I remember thinking, whats next? A toilet in the there somewhere? Men would never move from the sofa!

Old 07-21-2011, 08:40 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Quote:
omg!!!!!
When lazyboy came out with the cooler in the sofa thing, i remember thinking, whats next? A toilet in the there somewhere? Men would never move from the sofa!:d

:d:d

Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Quote:
They're built in.

Thanks much! It has been a while since I laughed that much!

I remembered another wince-worthy feature, how about light fixtures with wavy edges shaped like flowers?!

My biggest pet peeve: "Tuscan style" kitchens?! N-o-t-h-i-n-g Tuscan about them!
Every time I hear "(insert word here) style" or "(insert word here) inspired", I cringe in advance!

Last edited by Miaiam; 07-21-2011 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
OK here's another - faux flowers decorating the tops of cabinets, I mean long garlands of faux flowers. (not that short ones would be any better)

Also saw recently, the same flowers cascading around a lighted curio cabinet filled with a jumble of Precious Moments figurines. In addition the entire room was decorated in shades of blue. Surrounding the room was a country themed wall border with pictures of rustic stars,little log cabins, the American Flag and the bible, with bible verses beneath the pictures.

There was a Thomas Kincaid painting over the sofa and the sofa was pine with velvet cushions, printed with pictures of barns, wheat sheaves, and farm implements.
The dark pine couch was flanked with hexagonal end tables with gold stenciling and topped with matching blue hurricane lamp. Each door way was adorned with a swag of blue and white faux flowers.

The woman is my age or several years younger.
Is this a Pennsylvania thing?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
OK here's another - faux flowers decorating the tops of cabinets, I mean long garlands of faux flowers. (not that short ones would be any better)

Also saw recently, the same flowers cascading around a lighted curio cabinet filled with a jumble of Precious Moments figurines. In addition the entire room was decorated in shades of blue. Surrounding the room was a country themed wall border with pictures of rustic stars,little log cabins, the American Flag and the bible, with bible verses beneath the pictures.

There was a Thomas Kincaid painting over the sofa and the sofa was pine with velvet cushions, printed with pictures of barns, wheat sheaves, and farm implements.
The dark pine couch was flanked with hexagonal end tables with gold stenciling and topped with matching blue hurricane lamp. Each door way was adorned with a swag of blue and white faux flowers.

The woman is my age or several years younger.
Is this a Pennsylvania thing?
No, that would be an "I have no taste thing".
I sure hope I dont dream about that room tonight!

Old 07-21-2011, 10:46 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
LOL!!! I hope that I don't dream of it either! I hope that you don't!
I was stunned! I was looking around and she said, " I love decorating! Don't you?"

I answered honestly "yes I do!" I hope that the horrified look on my face was mistaken for awe or admiration, as opposed to the repulsion that I really felt.

I think that this particular type of decorating is prevalent in certain regions and among certain social groups. Since moving to PA I see a lot of this, although not all so religious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating