Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 02:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree about coffee tables being on the way out, except for formal living rooms.

Coffee tables take up valuable space, interfere with the use of ottomans, and limit the ways furniture can be arranged in a room.
A designer used to tell me that no matter the space (how minimal or roomy)... in the hands of a great designer, it all make sense.

My take on it...

The limit is not that of the furniture or even the space... but the designer who can or cannot work with whatever needs to work with.

Tool comes first or the person using that tool?
Humans are the ones to invent that tool... lesson from my Art teacher a long time ago.

P.S. It is just like an interior designer looking for a position say at Crate & Barrel, WE, DWR or the like and saying I cannot work with the coffee table you have and decorate because it limits the ways furniture can be arranged in your space....

Last edited by hueyeats; 10-12-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
For 2012 -- our last year on the good Earth, we will see a number of come-backs.

And urban chic Himalayan look with floor seating in bean bags and colorful pillows is IN
Fine wood furnishings are OUT

Attachment 85926

People will be dashing to the grocery in 2012 to get garbage stickers for their Baker, Century, Lee, Hernden, Stanley and other swank furnishings. They will replace them with throw pillows and low profile occasional tables.

Faux Victorian Gazebo Wedding - IN!!

Attachment 85925

Another big trend for 2012--and a personal favorite of yours truly--is the cowboy, wild-west theme. Anne get 'ur gun!

Attachment 85924

Also making a come back, wood paneling. Yes, that fabulous particle board oak-veneer will be returning to many homes. No need to bother with the muss and fuss of painting ever again.

Attachment 85921

And with such a bad economy, and knowledge of impending doom in which we will need to sell all of our worldly possessions just to purchase a loaf of bread, we will be re purposing Grandma's old furniture.

Attachment 85922
Attachment 85923

Last but not least, wall paper and mauve carpet -- IN and IN!
You forgot the biggest one of all, the faux Mediterranean look from the 60s is on the fast track to be the biggest trend of all.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
A designer used to tell me that no matter the space (how minimal or roomy)... in the hands of a great designer, it all make sense.

My take on it...

The limit is not that of the furniture or even the space... but the designer who can or cannot work with whatever needs to work with.

Tool comes first or the person using that tool?
Humans are the ones to invent that tool... lesson from my Art teacher a long time ago.

P.S. It is just like an interior designer looking for a position say at Crate & Barrel, WE, DWR or the like and saying I cannot work with the coffee table you have and decorate because it limits the ways furniture can be arranged in your space....
If you notice, the part of my post you bolded was part of an entire sentence.

Quote:
Coffee tables take up valuable space, interfere with the use of ottomans, and limit the ways furniture can be arranged in a room.
I was thinking more about small houses with limited living areas. Contrary to what many people think, the majority of Americans live in small houses with very small rooms. If a room is small, you simply do not have room for a coffee table and an ottoman. Even the most talented designer can't do that. Many people prefer the ottoman for relaxing and TV viewing in a small informal space. And some people want neither because they don't liked cramped small rooms with a piece of furniture in the middle to walk around.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You forgot the biggest one of all, the faux Mediterranean look from the 60s is on the fast track to be the biggest trend of all.
Interesting. I'm wondering how the 1960s mediterranean look is different. Can you post a picture?

Old 10-12-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I'm wondering how the 1960s mediterranean look is different. Can you post a picture?
I just did a quick google search, but didnt come up with what I was looking for.......the look I am speaking of involved red or gold crushed velvet, cut pile damask, flocked wallpaper, lots and lots of fake wrought iron, lots of horrifically detailed dark wood furniture, usually had amber hanging lamps.
It was really awful.
No wonder I couldnt find pics.
I know it was big in the Midwest, dont know about anyplace else.
BTW, I havent had a cocktail table in 10 years, I use nesting tables.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I just did a quick google search, but didnt come up with what I was looking for.......the look I am speaking of involved red or gold crushed velvet, cut pile damask, flocked wallpaper, lots and lots of fake wrought iron, lots of horrifically detailed dark wood furniture, usually had amber hanging lamps.
It was really awful.
OMGoodness! Since I live in a region that's a decade behind trends and the trends stay here for decades after arriving, some of my friend's parents had their houses decorated like that when I was growing up. I actually know some people who decorated their houses that way within the past 10 years.

Quote:
Nesting tables are the perfect solution!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
OMGoodness! Since I live in a region that's a decade behind trends and the trends stay here for decades after arriving, some of my friend's parents had their houses decorated like that when I was growing up. I actually know some people who decorated their houses that way within the past 10 years.

Nesting tables are the perfect solution!
ROFL, everyone seems to be locked into the country/oak thing that happened over 20 years ago where I am from.
Wow, I cant believe there are still people doing the Mediterranean thing.....God only knows where they got the furniture and accessories!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:14 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
If a room is small, you simply do not have room for a coffee table and an ottoman. Even the most talented designer can't do that.
Maybe "the most talented" designers can't, but I can.

Designers don't live in the rooms they design.

My coffee table is one of my prized possessions. There will always be space for it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Maybe "the most talented" designers can't, but I can.

Designers don't live in the rooms they design.

My coffee table is one of my prized possessions. There will always be space for it.
Your living room isn't truly small if you can fit a coffee table and a functional ottoman in it. Either that, or you like stepping over furniture.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
It was really awful.

you my dear, are killing me....you just described my Aunt's house (red) and my Mother house (Avacado), both were medeteranean and Spanish....and we lived next door to each other, we lived in a duplex..........but the funny thing, we thought it was so pretty back then, somehow now the flocked red and gold wallpaper seems God awful......and don't forget the Austrian curtains, my Mom was guilty of that......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating