Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 PM

233 posts, read 753,474 times

Advertisements

MMkay,

I am moving into a room with no ceiling light.

Although this is unfortunate it does open up opportunity for creativity.

Sure a floor lamp is the first solution that comes to mind but I could use some help with a better idea...

I would like to use string lights and/or lanterns but I am not sure how to accomplish this without it looking tacky.

A floor lamp is okay but it is so generic.

What ideas do yall have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:27 PM

Room light with 800 LED - YouTube

if someone could maybe help me understand how this was done..

Old 11-14-2011, 07:11 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
I have the same problem. I have a lamp on each night table and a floor lamp. I purchased a set at walmart like this:

Walmart.com: Creative Motion Chelsea 3-Piece Lamp Set with Energy Saving Bulbs: Decor

So everything matched up perfectly.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post

Room light with 800 LED - YouTube

if someone could maybe help me understand how this was done..
Judging by the guy's comments on the video, I would say that the installation was time consuming and required considerable soldering skill and LED technical knowledge (he probably had hell getting the resistors right to prevent overheating and burnout).

He says it cost him about 350 marks.

It appears that he suspended a piece of pegboard below two separate arrays of high-output LEDs on separate circuits. The outer array is for "mood lighting" and the inner array is for functional lighting. You could probably get a similar effect with a single array and an off-the-shelf low-voltage dimmer, but I don't know for certain.

I've read about people installing fiber optic cables in the ceiling that emit light from a central source, but that would likely be much more expensive.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
If you are trying to keep it simple you could always ceiling mount a light or a fan, and swag the cord with a cord cover or chain across the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 PM

164 posts, read 559,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If you are trying to keep it simple you could always ceiling mount a light or a fan, and swag the cord with a cord cover or chain across the ceiling and down the wall to an outlet.
I have not seen plug in ceiling lights made in 30+ years.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Does said room have a switched recepticle?
Does said room have attic above?

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 11-15-2011 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-15-2011, 11:09 AM

I am told that no there are no light switches in the room.. I have seen it many times just not moved in yet and this is just me thinking so dont jump all over me "yo bro your moving into a place and you dont know anything about it..."

No switch

There is an attic above yes

Old 11-15-2011, 07:13 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times
Wink We had the bedrooms wired ....

Our first home, a three bedroom, did not have ceiling lights either. The home was five years old and the original buyers did not opt to pay for this option. We had the bedrooms wired and had ceiling fans with lights installed. The ceiling fans really are helpful in the summer. No regrets and we would do the same thing again.

By the way, the one option that the original buyers did not pay for that we missed the most and could not fix [due to block walls in the house] was to not have an outdoor electric outlet installed by the front door. We really missed that outside outside plug in front, especially at Christmas.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPoliticsNoGamesJustMath View Post
I am told that no there are no light switches in the room..

I have several wireless switches in my house. They provide the ability to add light switch control to any plug-in device without new wiring. You simply plug a device into the outlet and then plug the lamp into that device. Then you place the wireless wall switch in the desired location. The wireless wall switch operates the plug-in device within 100 feet to turn the lamp ON and OFF.

I've bought them from Home Depot and other online places:

Wireless Switch Outlet - White-BL-6136-WH at The Home Depot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating