Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 07:47 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
I'm definitely going to need help in this department - I've always been horrible at matching and putting colors together.

You are right that its nearly impossible to match the walls, and the color reflects completely differently in the morning than it does at night.
Go clothes shopping---find some clothing in a color similar to your wall color---see what the designers put with that color. Bring your paint swatch with you even. Then, get some paint swatches with those clothing colors in it and find a rug that goes with those colors. You can do the same thing if you can get your hands on a designer's color wheel but I have a feeling you are more of a visual person than that.

Also, I wouldn't know where to begin to turn on all of that equipment you have---everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. To you all of that stuff is easy to use and do whatever you do on it--to me, it makes my head spin, same with this. Some people have an eye for color, some people don't. I can match colors very well, pulling together the little details of a room like Hope posted, nope, not me. I can COPY a room like that very well. Now, putting the big things in that room I am good at (furniture, rugs, etc.) but the stuff on the tables, nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM

252 posts, read 387,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Go clothes shopping---find some clothing in a color similar to your wall color---see what the designers put with that color. Bring your paint swatch with you even. Then, get some paint swatches with those clothing colors in it and find a rug that goes with those colors. You can do the same thing if you can get your hands on a designer's color wheel but I have a feeling you are more of a visual person than that.

Also, I wouldn't know where to begin to turn on all of that equipment you have---everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. To you all of that stuff is easy to use and do whatever you do on it--to me, it makes my head spin, same with this. Some people have an eye for color, some people don't. I can match colors very well, pulling together the little details of a room like Hope posted, nope, not me. I can COPY a room like that very well. Now, putting the big things in that room I am good at (furniture, rugs, etc.) but the stuff on the tables, nope.
Thank you for these tips -its really, really helpful. This is definitely a weakness of mine, and I get frustrated easily. I want it all to look right, I just don't know where to begin and I tend to make bad decisions, which is one of the reason that in the past I have always ended up with nothing that goes right together.

I really like the idea of using clothing designers as a guide in how they match up colors - that is certainly something that I can relate to.

This is without a doubt the most work I have ever put into trying to accomplish this goal. I am a total electronics & music junkee and I work in digital meda - so to your point - the whole art of how to have that eye to put a room together so that it actually looks like an intentional design, is a complete foreign language to me.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not beachy (your white furniture will make it beachy) but this gives you an idea of blue and green together:

Notice the walls in the other room are tan.
Wow I swear I have no idea how you do this...this is stunningly beautiful! I love love the green accents, and how it makes the room pop.

I really do get what you are saying, I'm just horrible at picking these things out.

I do however appreciate the props for picking out the paint colors

Old 02-01-2012, 07:20 AM

These are too expensive, but two more rugs that I'm being drawn to:

Milliken Pastiche Kerri 7410 Cool Celery (311) Area Rugs

Dalyn Vista VS-15 Mango / Cantaloupe Area Rugs

Trying to find something that will be more on the neutral side with green highlights - which these aren't, but the pattern of the kind of rugs I am attracted to continues.....

Also, when picking out a rug I'm trying to keep in mind that I have no idea when I'll be able to buy a new sofa, so it has to blend with my neutral colored couch.

Here is also a neutral version of one I really like, although I like the brighyer colors better:

http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetai...24/DeepOlive77

This one has the brighter colors:

http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetai.../GoldenMorn317

Old 02-01-2012, 08:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
If you like contemporary, what about these:

Trans Ocean Imports Seville Mosaic Stripe Blue (9625/03) Area Rugs

Trans Ocean Imports Gallia Pom Pom Ocean (3080/04) Area Rugs

Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
If you like contemporary, what about these:

Trans Ocean Imports Seville Mosaic Stripe Blue (9625/03) Area Rugs
This is the rug!!!! It's perfect!

I'm going to bookmark that - you completely have the knack for finding just what fits my style

I can't afford this particular one, but this is a good style for me to try to emulate in my price range as I shop.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:29 AM

I found that one right away and spent 20 minutes looking for more! I should have just stopped at the first one! LOL

Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I found that one right away and spent 20 minutes looking for more! I should have just stopped at the first one! LOL
What kind of search are you filtering to find these? When I searched nothing even close to that was coming up.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:33 AM

I did contemporary first. Then I got sick of looking at all the brown, and I narrowed the search to blue, then to green.

I have one more that is a little wild but I think you might like. Just a sec.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM

I just wish the dominate colors were a bit different. If the blues and greens were more dominant, it would be better.

I like the wave in it---for the ocean. It would pull together with your sofa. I just don't think it's quite right though.

Rizzy Rugs Colours CL-1798 Blue Area Rugs

This isnt' the wild one but I thought of this one too.

Geoloom Prosperity Flow Blue (04) Area Rugs

Last edited by Hopes; 02-01-2012 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating