Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 03:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
Any thoughts on if this rug is too busy for the look I am going for?

Beach Shells Area Rugs

I had no idea you could get beach themed area rugs!
No--falls in the ugly category
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:58 PM

252 posts, read 387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No--falls in the ugly category
yeah but to be fair, you don't like my paint color either

What is your opinion on this one?

http://www.touchofclass.com/shell-be...ue/p/R150-001/

Last edited by Livinginburbank; 01-30-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
The first one is downright ugly. The second one, not so ugly, but are you sure you want to go with a theme rug?

You don't need to take this beachy feel literally, like we do with children's rooms. Do you live in a beach town?

Your rug doesn't need to have all of the colors in your paint selection. It doesn't have to have any of the colors actually.

I just think you're heading in the wrong direction. You wanted elegant. Theme rugs aren't elegant.

First things first.

Did you talk with the designer about the size of area rug?

Is there a furniture arrangement plan yet?

What color fabric are you chosing for your sofa?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
yeah but to be fair, you don't like my paint color either

What is your opinion on this one?

Shell Beach Area Rugs
I don't mind your paint color

I don't think that rug matches your paint color though, maybe in the entry way (not sure what that looks like though).

Honestly, you seem too sophisticated for a rug like that. It's too juvenile looking I think for a living room in a condo. Again, I would wait to get a "real" rug. I know you want something but just get a plain rug from Home Depot, Walmart, etc. until you finish getting your furniture, etc.

Ok, this is a link to a rug PAD, but the rug they show, something along those lines, would work until your room is done and you know exactly what you need in that room. It's plain, simple, goes with pretty much anything, for now.

Amazon.com: Safavieh PAD140 Ultra Outdoor Non-Slip Rug Pad, 5-Feet by 8-Feet: Furniture & Decor

Old 01-30-2012, 05:02 PM

I don't live in a beach town persay - but I do live in Los Angeles. And I love the whole beach theme - its funny that you mentioned a child's room, because when I start to think about theming, that's where my head automatically goes. For the better or the worse.

I do not have a sofa fabric or print planned, I am going to hold off on replacing my sofa, I can't afford it at this time. It's probably the last thing I'm going to deal with, functionally there is furniture I need that has to take a priority over swapping out the sofa. At least, to get a good sofa that will last for many years to come.

I did talk to the designer about the rug size, she is suggesting 7x9. She is currently working on the floor plan for the room. (She did like the way I had the furniture placed when she came for the visit, but suggested that I move the sofa & chair up a bit to be closer in towards the living room area) - I'm not buying anything just yet regarding rugs, just looking around at different styles. I don't have the money for it right now at this time anyway, but I do want to have a direction in my head for when that time comes.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't mind your paint color

I don't think that rug matches your paint color though, maybe in the entry way (not sure what that looks like though).

Honestly, you seem too sophisticated for a rug like that. It's too juvenile looking I think for a living room in a condo. Again, I would wait to get a "real" rug. I know you want something but just get a plain rug from Home Depot, Walmart, etc. until you finish getting your furniture, etc.

Ok, this is a link to a rug PAD, but the rug they show, something along those lines, would work until your room is done and you know exactly what you need in that room. It's plain, simple, goes with pretty much anything, for now.

Amazon.com: Safavieh PAD140 Ultra Outdoor Non-Slip Rug Pad, 5-Feet by 8-Feet: Furniture & Decor
Oh I love that rug!!!! Its really pretty, and the kind of thing that would blend well.

I'm pretty terrible at picking out designs/styles for myself. It's utterly insane how bad I am at this.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM

I like that rug Golfgal suggested too. I like that it's not blue or brown. If you try to match the blue on the walls, you're going to have an epic fail. That's why I was telling you that the rug doesn't have to have the colors that you are putting on the wall. A pastel green rug brings another color for you to play with for accents. You can have some pastel green throw pillows, etc.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I like that rug Golfgal suggested too. I like that it's not blue or brown. If you try to match the blue on the walls, you're going to fail. That's why I was telling you that the rug doesn't have to have the colors that you are putting on the wall. It brings another color for you to play with for accents. You can have some pastel green throw pillows, etc.
I'm definitely going to need help in this department - I've always been horrible at matching and putting colors together.

You are right that its nearly impossible to match the walls, and the color reflects completely differently in the morning than it does at night.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:13 PM

You're doing good! A quick learner, I'll give you references for that!

You picked the blue and green on your own.

The blue was the winner for the walls, but that doesn't mean that the green can't be used elsewhere in the room.

Right now, your room colors are blue, tan, and white.

Green is the perfect accent color for what you're trying to accomplish.

Pull pastel green in with the rug.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:14 PM

It's not beachy (your white furniture will make it beachy) but this gives you an idea of blue and green together:

Notice the walls in the other room are tan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating