Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

I'm so overwhelmed. I want to save money and buy what's in stock, not a special order. I haven't seen one thing that is perfect. The furniture that has the perfect scale, style, lines is in the wrong fabric or the wrong color. And the furniture with the perfect fabric and color is on furniture in the wrong scale or style.

I went in with a specific idea of what I wanted. Due to the layout of my living room, I need a small scale sectional. Separate furniture peices make it difficult to arrange the furniture (I know because I've had all of them in the past) due to multiple entrances into the room, etc. The best place for furniture dictates a sectional. Trust me on this. No floorplan is needed. I know what I'm talking about since I've lived in this house for 20 years and have owned many sets of furniture.

I see some individual pieces I like, but I don't want to go down that road of purchasing furniture that isn't right for the room.

How do you endure this madness when shopping for furniture with a reasonable budget?!?!?!?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 01:06 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,800,328 times
patience,Hopes and lots of it!! LOL
Didn't know you're furniture shopping.
I hope you find exactly what you're looking for.
I know you know exactly what you want but I had a sectional for quite awhile and hated it.
What color are you looking for?

Good luck and post pics as you go along. So yea, take your camera

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 02-15-2012 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
You can also try doing google searches and shopping online (you don't have to buy it online, once you find what you think you are looking for go to the manufacturers website and find the local merchants who carry their products.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,056,113 times
Hopes - I really do know exactly what you mean and it is frustrating.

A good upholsterer can make you a couch. They have books to choose styles from - then you specify exactly what you want as far as trim, legs, skirt or no skirt, tufts or not, down or fiberfill cushions, etc. Our upholstery guy allowed me to bring in my own fabric at no additional cost. It may be worth a try.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 AM

935 posts, read 3,449,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm so overwhelmed. I want to save money and buy what's in stock, not a special order....

How do you endure this madness when shopping for furniture with a reasonable budget?!?!?!?!
What is your budget? For some people (my parents for instance) think that anything over $800 for a sofa is a ridiculous waist of money. They tend to stalk the LazyBoy Outlet or buy at WalMart. On the other hand, my budget is $3000. I also have a minimum quality requirement that puts my starting price point at around $2000.

The only places where sofa's are sold "stock" are places like Ikea, Big Lots, Walmart, etc... At furniture retailers (including department stores), you can buy a floor model, but you usually won't get a discount for doing so. The base price for the sofa will remain the same. The biggest factor that changes the price is the grade of the fabric you select. So when you find a sofa you like, ask to see the available fabrics. Look for the lowest grade fabric with the highest rub count (durability) that you like and ask for a quote in that fabric. Many mid-range manufacturers have small range of fabric grades to choose from.

Another option, your local retailer may have a warehouse or clearance center within driving distance where you can get discounted items, but your choices are limited to what they have on the floor.

Bottom line, if your budget is over $1000 you can get a sofa in your choice of fabric. Presidents Day is a big sale weekend for furniture stores, so this is a really good time to shop.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:53 AM

22,597 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Flexsteel make sectionals... I don't know if their scale is what you are looking for though. And they have oodles of fabrics available.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
I'm so overwhelmed. I want to save money and buy what's in stock, not a special order. I haven't seen one thing that is perfect. The furniture that has the perfect scale, style, lines is in the wrong fabric or the wrong color. And the furniture with the perfect fabric and color is on furniture in the wrong scale or style.

I went in with a specific idea of what I wanted. Due to the layout of my living room, I need a small scale sectional. Separate furniture peices make it difficult to arrange the furniture (I know because I've had all of them in the past) due to multiple entrances into the room, etc. The best place for furniture dictates a sectional. Trust me on this. No floorplan is needed. I know what I'm talking about since I've lived in this house for 20 years and have owned many sets of furniture.

I see some individual pieces I like, but I don't want to go down that road of purchasing furniture that isn't right for the room.

Ordering does not cost any more than what you see on the floor, as long as you stay within the same grade of fabric.
Let me fill you in on why what you see on the floor is often so ugly.......furniture makers will often buy a rather unpopular fabric in bulk to use for floor samples, as they sell those at a vast discount to the store, and they make a pile of $ when someone actually buys them
Better to order and wait on something you truly love, than spend the money on something you dont, and then replace, you know?
Thats what I ALWAYS tell clients, never been told I was wrong yet.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
patience,Hopes and lots of it!! LOL
Didn't know you're furniture shopping.
I hope you find exactly what you're looking for.
I know you know exactly what you want but I had a sectional for quite awhile and hated it.
What color are you looking for?

Good luck and post pics as you go along. So yea, take your camera
I had a sectional before I married hubby. It wasn't a tacky sectional. I didn't hate it. I'm trying to stay with a neutral color but I'm considering green too. I have a 100 year old exposed brick wall in that room I need to work around. Hubby did mention at the store that we could paint the brick. Funny, it took him 20 years to agree to that when I've finally come to terms with it and planned my decorating around it! LOL

I'm looking for a loft sectional. One that is equal in length on both sides. Just a 5 seater with a corner and two seats going out each side. Nothing big and bulky. Nothing overstuffed. Nothing reclining. (Hubby tried teasing me with those "man sectionals" that had cup holders. OMG, talk about tacky! There are many tacky sectionals out there!) I just want an elegant sofa design but in a sectional.

I'll definitely take my camera shopping next time! Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
You can also try doing google searches and shopping online (you don't have to buy it online, once you find what you think you are looking for go to the manufacturers website and find the local merchants who carry their products.
That's a great idea, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
What is your budget? For some people (my parents for instance) think that anything over $800 for a sofa is a ridiculous waist of money. They tend to stalk the LazyBoy Outlet or buy at WalMart. On the other hand, my budget is $3000. I also have a minimum quality requirement that puts my starting price point at around $2000.

The only places where sofa's are sold "stock" are places like Ikea, Big Lots, Walmart, etc... At furniture retailers (including department stores), you can buy a floor model, but you usually won't get a discount for doing so. The base price for the sofa will remain the same. The biggest factor that changes the price is the grade of the fabric you select. So when you find a sofa you like, ask to see the available fabrics. Look for the lowest grade fabric with the highest rub count (durability) that you like and ask for a quote in that fabric. Many mid-range manufacturers have small range of fabric grades to choose from.

Another option, your local retailer may have a warehouse or clearance center within driving distance where you can get discounted items, but your choices are limited to what they have on the floor.

Bottom line, if your budget is over $1000 you can get a sofa in your choice of fabric. Presidents Day is a big sale weekend for furniture stores, so this is a really good time to shop.
I'm trying to stay between $1,000 to $2,000, closer to the low end if possible. I normally buy top quality but not this time. I consider this sofa a "throw away" sofa. I just want it to last a few years and later relegate it to an unoccupied bedroom. (Empty nester here.) We have two dogs. The lab is 16 years old. He's not going to live much longer but I'd be foolish to assume this sofa (of any price) would stay in great condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Flexsteel make sectionals... I don't know if their scale is what you are looking for though. And they have oodles of fabrics available.
Great idea. I just checked out the website. They do have my style. Looks like most are L shaped though. (One side longer than the other.) I see there are quite a few dealers in our area. I'll check them out and see what they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ordering does not cost any more than what you see on the floor, as long as you stay within the same grade of fabric.
Let me fill you in on why what you see on the floor is often so ugly.......furniture makers will often buy a rather unpopular fabric in bulk to use for floor samples, as they sell those at a vast discount to the store, and they make a pile of $ when someone actually buys them
Better to order and wait on something you truly love, than spend the money on something you dont, and then replace, you know?
Thats what I ALWAYS tell clients, never been told I was wrong yet.
I FORGOT about that! It has been so long since I bought furniture!

I can wait a reasonable period of time. Two months. Anything longer will send me over the edge. LOL

Old 02-15-2012, 09:31 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Quote:
I had a sectional before I married hubby. It wasn't a tacky sectional. I didn't hate it. I'm trying to stay with a neutral color but I'm considering green too. I have a 100 year old exposed brick wall in that room I need to work around. Hubby did mention at the store that we could paint the brick. Funny, it took him 20 years to agree to that when I've finally come to terms with it and planned my decorating around it! LOL

I'm looking for a loft sectional. One that is equal in length on both sides. Just a 5 seater with a corner and two seats going out each side. Nothing big and bulky. Nothing overstuffed. Nothing reclining. (Hubby tried teasing me with those "man sectionals" that had cup holders. OMG, talk about tacky! There are many tacky sectionals out there!) I just want an elegant sofa design but in a sectional.

I'll definitely take my camera shopping next time! Good idea!

That's a great idea, thanks!

I'm trying to stay between $1,000 to $2,000, closer to the low end if possible. I normally buy top quality but not this time. I consider this sofa a "throw away" sofa. I just want it to last a few years and later relegate it to an unoccupied bedroom. (Empty nester here.) We have two dogs. The lab is 16 years old. He's not going to live much longer but I'd be foolish to assume this sofa (of any price) would stay in great condition.

Great idea. I just checked out the website. They do have my style. Looks like most are L shaped though. (One side longer than the other.) I see there are quite a few dealers in our area. I'll check them out and see what they have.

I FORGOT about that! It has been so long since I bought furniture!

I can wait a reasonable period of time. Two months. Anything longer will send me over the edge. LOL
A lot of makers have a quick ship program, you might want to check into that.....of course, its a limited fabric selection.
Usually a 2 week turnaround.....that doesnt count shipping, though.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks, kshe!

I just found out that "someone" threw up on the sofa and ottoman and floor last night while we were sleeping. I have no idea which dog, both seem fine today. But that's what hubby woke up to this morning. Maybe I should go with the absolute CHEAPEST one I can find for now! Forget my budget and just buy anything. I'm not living with this existing furniture any longer! The cheap crap probably feels like sitting on rock though.

When my basset as a puppy, he ate my expensive down filled sofa. I had to wait until he outgrew that before replacing it. Now I have a senior citizen dog. But I don't want to wait. I just finished installing my hardwood floors. I want to decorate my living room and have it look pretty NOW! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating