Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

Hopes ---understand where you are coming from....can you put something over your couch and chairs before you go to bed at night? An old bedspread or a drop cloth? Might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Hopes ---understand where you are coming from....can you put something over your couch and chairs before you go to bed at night? An old bedspread or a drop cloth? Might help.
I'll have to figure something like that out for when we're not home. For night time, I think we should just close them into the bedroom with us. That way we can hear if someone gets sick. But that requires carrying the lab up the steps because he has spinal arthritis. I do carry him up a few times a week. When he's content downstairs I leave him because I have arthritis in my own spine too! It's hillarious that I spare his spine and disregard my own spine! What we do for love!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
Have you considered the Ikea Ektorp? Its not a bad looking sofa. Its not the most comfortable, but it doesn't sit like a brick either. It won't last, but quality isn't on your short list. At $900 the price is pretty darned good and you can choose from a number of slip-covers for it. Its just not very deep, but with a sectional, you don't need deep to put your feet up.

EKTORP Corner sofa 2+2 - Idemo black - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29839461/ - broken link)

EDIT: Make sure you read the assembly instructions...you are basically building the thing yourself.

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 02-15-2012 at 10:19 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 AM

I wasn't wanting a skirted sofa, but that's definitely something to consider if I can't find anything.

I like the idea of slip covers for the dogs. I wonder if I can buy replacement slip covers in the future.

My down sofa came with two slip covers along with the upholstery on the sofa. I miss that sofa!

We're heading out today to look again.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:14 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times
if you don't want skirted, they also have this at Ikea

KARLSTAD Corner sofa 2+3/3+2 - Blekinge white - IKEA

Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
We finally just custom ordered furniture. I found styles I liked in the store and then spent a lot of time going through fabric. For our living room the fabric I liked was on a different set in the show room but the style of that wasn't to my liking. That furniture was less than the show room because the show room had a more expensive fabric on it. For our family room, we had an odd shaped room and we were able to custom design the sectional to fit. We put on a very sturdy fabric and got what I thought was a great price on the set. We've had the furniture for 8 years now and I still love it. It's worth just doing the custom to get what you want I think.

The sectional seats 8 was about $3000 and is similar in style to the Ikea ektrop posted above-different seating configuration though.
For the living room we got 2 full sized sofas and 2 arm chairs for about $2500. We went with the 2 sofas vs a sofa and loveseat because it was only $50 more to have the sofa. I'm really glad we did.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:31 PM

We're back from another store today.

This store has two small scale, clean line style possibilities.

1) A sectional that is exactly what I want. Fabric is green. I can live with that. But it's corduroy. Probably a dog hair nightmare.

2) A separate sofa and loveseat set. Very attractive style. Leather. Black. I can't stand black leather.

Both are very comfortable. My heart is saying go with the sectional. Logic is saying go with the leather.

Leather would be the best fabric for dog hair and elderly sick dogs. I dug my long fingernails into it, even stabbed at it and scraped very hard. It's durable leather.

Black leather with a brick fireplace screams Halloween to me. Hubby reminded we can paint the brick. But the rug choices would be dreadful.

I'd like to be able to have something that will be attractive with the wood pieces I want to get over the next few years. Black wouldn't go with anything else I plan to buy.

If the leather sofa had been any shade of brown, I would have snatched it up. Leather is the best for dog hair.

I guess I need to keep looking still.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We're back from another store today.

This store has two small scale, clean line style possibilities.

1) A sectional that is exactly what I want. Fabric is green. I can live with that. But it's corduroy. Probably a dog hair nightmare.

2) A separate sofa and loveseat set. Very attractive style. Leather. Black. I can't stand black leather.

Both are very comfortable. My heart is saying go with the sectional. Logic is saying go with the leather.

Leather would be the best fabric for dog hair and elderly sick dogs. I dug my long fingernails into it, even stabbed at it and scraped very hard. It's durable leather.

Black leather with a brick fireplace screams Halloween to me. Hubby reminded we can paint the brick. But the rug choices would be dreadful.

I'd like to be able to have something that will be attractive with the wood pieces I want to get over the next few years. Black wouldn't go with anything else I plan to buy.

I guess I need to keep looking still.
Black is a neutral, as long as you dont play up the blacks and oranges with fabrics, art, etc, it could be really lovely.
I can see it in my minds eye, and it looks great!
I really would not paint the brick, btw.
The house I grew up in had a brick wall in the formal living room, my mother did that room in black and white, with walnut MCM furniture, and a few touches of chrome yellow.
The room looked fabulous!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Black is a neutral, as long as you dont play up the blacks and oranges with fabrics, art, etc, it could be really lovely.
I can see it in my minds eye, and it looks great!
I really would not paint the brick, btw.
The house I grew up in had a brick wall in the formal living room, my mother did that room in black and white, with walnut MCM furniture, and a few touches of chrome yellow.
The room looked fabulous!
It really is a nice sleek design with awesome stitching.

I'm going to get the measuring tape and see if the pieces will fit where I need them.

I think the problem in the past was that our previous furniture was too deep.

But kshe, I wanted to have colorful accessories! Can I still be bright and colorful with black leather furniture?

I'm talking paintings, stuff on my built in shelves, etc. I wanted bright vibrant stuff. Will that still work?

(The walls are a rich neutral color that will go with anything.)

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It really is a nice sleek design with awesome stitching.

I'm going to get the measuring tape and see if the pieces will fit where I need them.

I think the problem in the past was that our previous furniture was too deep.

But kshe, I wanted to have colorful accessories! Can I still be bright and colorful with black leather furniture?

I'm talking paintings, stuff on my built in shelves, etc. I wanted bright vibrant stuff. Will that still work?

(The walls are a rich neutral color that will go with anything.)
Lord have mercy, yes!
If the walls are neutral, the world is basically your oyster in terms of what you can use.
Is the brick red brick?
If so, I would stay away from too much of that color family close to the brick, but you sure can use it in other areas of the room!
Black begs for color to be used with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating