Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Do you really need a picture to visualize a centerpiece for a 60" round table?
Is this a real question?
Its not just the table I want to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Very simple. Get a large bowl if you don't already have one. I have several. If you don't have one start with a large bowl in a neutral color. Fill it with fruit. You can use the usual mixture of fruit, or stick with a monochormatic theme - lemons, lemons and limes, Granny Smith apples, pears or pomogranites.

Pick out a bowl you love! Go to the local thrift shop. Perhaps you are drawn to blue and white transfer wear - like blue willow. Or if mid century art deco interests you, a Fiesta Wear bowl might fill your bill. A plain whit bowl works for many decors. A silver bowl add sparkle, as does a crystal bowl.

I also have mercury glass candles holders. A grouping of three. Groupings of three always look nice.
They do not need to match exactly. I again refer you to the thrift store. Three crystal candle sticks of different heights (or 3 of any type that is similar) with matching tapers looks good!

A silver tray holding a variety of candles in glass jars, can look lovely and flickery when it.

I would say start with a large white bowl. Except if your taste in ultra modern, you can't go wrong. Williams Sonoma has a simple classic bowl and fill with fruit.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:57 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Some really good suggestions. Thanks, everyone. One thing I think I'll do is lose the two candlesticks and go for some round grouping.
I have always liked the very realistic fake fruit, but have never wanted to spend the money, since the good ones are expensive to buy in abundance.
I love the look of real fruit, and I have done that.
I love the idea of anything natural, like fruit and flowers. I have many possible containers in pottery and glass. I too, have great old yellowware pitchers and pottery that I put flowers in.
Before I moved, one of my collections was of odd colored glass candlesticks which I grouped together on the table sometimes.
Here's the thing though. I'm trying to modernize the look around here, but I always seem to revert back to "grandma's house". I want my house to reflect a modern energy, but it's vibe never changes. Like it or not, I have what I have, and I need to respect those things. In my teeny dining room is an 1845 grandfather clock, and an old blueberry colored cupboard, the huge table and 6 chairs (can't even fit the other 2 chairs).
Oh, I give up trying to explain. This weekend, I'm getting ready for an overnight guest who hasn''t been here before, so I will try some things and take some pictures.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:29 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Gentle hearts I agree with the groupings of candles being more interesting than the two traditional ones. I love your idea of old yellow ware, and odd colored candlesticks grouped together!
Those sound wonderful - the Grandfathers clock and the blueberry colored cupboard!

Also, you brought up flowers in pictures and pottery. LOVE THAT! At this time of year, how could I forget Spring tome? Daffodils, tulips or Forsythia, look lovely now.

Enjoy your weekend guest. I'm sure that I speak for all of us when I say we'd love to see pictures!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
Hopes, these are some great pictures.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a 60" round table. It's cherry and French country. I keep antique brass candlesticks with ivory tapers on the table, but I'm a bit stumped about a centerpiece.
My favorite thing is fresh flowers, or a live plant, but truthfully, we don't have much company anymore, and we're gone much of the time, so living things seem a waste of money.
I hate fake flowers, so that is out.
What would be some good things to put on the table? The decor is monchromatic ivory, bronze, tan, with a painting with red and blue, as well as the other colors, in it.
I would buy something decorative to put there if I knew what to buy.
FYI, I have baskets, and pottery, and glassware, but nothing really comes to mind that would be that exciting.
At Christmas I used huge pinecones, but what to do for spring? For summer?

I like the antique touches you have. I also hate fake flowers. I didn't know you should change the centerpiece, mine is always the same .

My style is mostly mid century/mod. Anyways it's a white 'wavy' looking hobnail bowl filled with fake lemons that look very real, LOL. I ordered the fake lemons online and they were actually kinda expensive but worth it, IMO.

So I am suggesting you use real or fake fruit in your centerpiece for summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating