Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

Here is a picture of our kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
The large black-and-white tiles (which I personally hate, but this is not about me) remind me more of the 50's, not the 30's.

I like the smaller octagonal tiles shown above, and they have dark grout so you wouldn't have to worry about the dirt discoloring the grout.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
By the 1930's linoleum was the floor covering most often chosen and recommended. Even in the 1920's linoleum was the flooring of choice if you could afford it. If not, you generally covered your kitchen floor with oilcloth.
Here's an ad from 1938. Most of the pics of 30's lino we see today tend to look rather busy, but compare this to the picture of the green kitchen and you'll see there was a wide choice of styles.

You can see several pages of Jane Powell's book - Linoleum on Google Books. I have a copy, and love looking at the patterns used over the decades.
Like that brown color linoleum but I was under the impression that linoleum is no longer made.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Linoleum is making a comeback. Here's an article that mentions some of the companies that manufacture it today.

Working with Linoleum Flooring | Floors | This Old House - 1

Not sure how retro the new linoleums are. If you search you can find it, sometimes old rolls are available too.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Linoleum is making a comeback. Here's an article that mentions some of the companies that manufacture it today.

Working with Linoleum Flooring | Floors | This Old House - 1

Not sure how retro the new linoleums are. If you search you can find it, sometimes old rolls are available too.
I like the idea that it's durable and Green! Never knew that. I do like the old look though and I'm wondering where to get the old rolls or if any mantufacturer is going to be making them in traditional pasterns.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I don't think houses have to necessarily be "Old" or "New." I love old houses but I really love when people take old houses and update them - while still keeping some flare and character from the original house. I don't think that you always have to go with the thought process of "what would this house have had at the time it was built."

I think it is OK to do with material OR pattern/color that matches a house's time frame when doing a revnovation but not necessarily material AND pattern/color if that makes sense. I think the best renovations of old houses are done when the home owner or designer nods/hints at the house's history while making some small contemporary twists vs continually keeping a house stuck in the era it was built.

Kind of like the big mid-century modern fascination over the past decade. Taking old designs and updating them slightly.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:57 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Linoleum (Marmoleum Forbo) would be a perfect, comfortable and period appropriate flooring for a kitchen in a 1938 house, much more so than wood, tile or God forbid- sheet vinyl. Instead of a busy (and easily outdated) pattern, a simple bold color with a little bit of flecking and a border or banding would be sharp!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 AM

681 posts, read 2,360,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
We had a Mc Mansion during a lapse of sanity in the early 2000s. We are fine now, thank you and back to loving and owning old homes. And living in them.

In the New House we had thw wood floors, granite cherry and stainless. We don't want anything that even riminds us of that anymore.
LOL! I'm with ya on that!

My vote goes to linoleum. It's beautiful, durable, and warm on the feet. Plus things are less likely to break on linoleum than on ceramic or porcelain tile.

I found a gorgeous floor design using linoleum:

Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
LOL! I'm with ya on that!

My vote goes to linoleum. It's beautiful, durable, and warm on the feet. Plus things are less likely to break on linoleum than on ceramic or porcelain tile.

I found a gorgeous floor design using linoleum:
Loving this. But WHERE DO YOU GET IT?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:06 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Looking to re-do a badly updated kitchen in a Craftsman style home. The current floor is 80s ish. We wnat tpo get away from a hard new look and have the floor look as though it's been there a while so black and white tiles might look too contemporary. We are talking about black and white large tiles. 20-50s look.

Thanks
Tiles - Decoration - Arts & Crafts Home

This is a link to a place with many subpages, but the entire site seems to be devoted to the craftsman style. As a child one of my father's brothers lived in the Roycroft Inn in East Aurora, and I used to be fascinated with the place when we visited. Then we went on vacation back to Canada (where my mother had come from), and, wow!, the time-worn huge old inn we stayed in had been built in the same era and looked rather like a run-down Roycroft.

I have renovated and built a few times in recent decades. I have lived in areas where wood flooring is unusual and tile and stone are standard. Speaking for myself, I would look for something that would accomodate that style, even if it was not truly contemporary with it, but it would have to be suitable to go with black grouting. Never again do I want the job of scrubbing white, or pale, grouting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating