Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

I don't think any one is trying to do other than help. The OP recognizes that the additional moldings by themselves were not enough to help acheive the look they are hoping for. The comments that explain other steps to take, including making some effort to eliminate the dis-continuity that the TV creates, are all worth listening to.

Just becuase the family may appreciate having the TV in its current location does NOT mean this configuration "works" visually / design wise. There have been many suggestions as to how changes that either conceal the TV when not being viewed or de-emphasize the extreme contrast of the scale of the room may enable the homeowner to keep the TV in its present location while still achieving the look that they have stated they are after...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:05 AM

568 posts, read 1,206,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
If you hide the TV, your fireplace wall would look so much better. Here are some ways, ranging from easy and fairly inexpensive to pricey, to give you some ideas. [1] [2] [3]
Some of these ideas shared by CheyDee are really fantastic, and actually add to the overall look of a room.

I'm also one of those that really doesn't like to see a tv in the living room (or bedrooms for that matter!)...at all! So, I end up keeping my tv on a rollable tv stand in my study most of the time. The study is of course the one room that holds all my ugly stuff that no one will ever get to see(door shut when visitors come), so the rest of the house can remain happily uncluttered! In my opinion, it's like an indoor storage shed...or as I affectionately call it, my lady-cave. Who wants to see a boring study, anyhow, unless you're home-hunting?

I do have an annual Super Bowl party, at which time I need to roll out the tv stand to the living room so everyone can watch. BUT, I generally wait for people to arrive before I do that so they can see what my living room looks like sans tv (my living room's a work-in-progress, so I like to get feedback without distraction of a tv). Otherwise, though, when I have visitors, we normally just sit in the living room and chit-chat without a tv.

In reverse, one could keep the tv stand in the living room most of the time if your family watches a lot of tv, then just roll it into a room when visitors drop by for a chat. I guess it depends on your lifestyle, and whether or not your visitors like to watch tv, etc. Just some thoughts...

Old 02-25-2013, 07:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Hopes, Your suggestion is lovely. OP, I would utilize something similar. Also, your flat screen seems a tad small...but you could do flat screen art so it doesn't look just like a flat screen hanging there. Or frame it. http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mc...lat+screen+art

http://www.tvcoverups.com/

http://www.movenart.com/

Last edited by JanND; 02-25-2013 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: links added

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM

35 posts, read 134,704 times
So, I decided to have my husband complete what we started(as that made the most sense vs ripping what we had down), and I love the way it turned out. With that said I am loving all the suggestions of covering up with TV somehow. Since we already have a more formal sitting area in our home this area is the place that everyone kicks back, watches tv and mingles, so having a tv in this room/area is very important to our family. However it is also important for me to make sure that our home looks nice and well put together. This wall was always an issue for me.

Here is what is looks like now.

I took the wonderful advice to remove the ceiling fan chains, and OMG it made a huge difference, and with all the molding on our ceiling in this room I feel the molding was a good choice. And someone else mentioned that the TV looked small, and I agree. The hubs and I actually discussed getting something a little larger, this one is a 42" and we were thinking something like a 48"-50", but my concern is would that then make the TV more of an eye sore or would it balance it out better making the overall look better??

I know a lot of you hate the TV over the fireplace and believe me if I had another option I would change it in a heart beat and put a huge amazing piece of art or mirror as suggested. I still want to possibly make a few other adjustments, but I think this turned out great, just crazy how the process looked so awful. I am going to look into a cover for the TV as you all suggested. I think that is a great idea for times that we just want the room to look pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating