Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,352,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Is it easy to clean? If it's going next to the range...
It's not going next to the range. The cooktop would be in the center island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 AM

The latest floor plan showing the bedroom way off the wings of the house away from the entertaining areas.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse39.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse38.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-uhouse40.jpg  

Old 03-04-2015, 01:42 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,909,272 times
I like the wings, but you've maximized the construction costs for a minimized square footage. The reason people build 2 story squares in you get the maximum square footage for the minimum construction cost.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,502,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I generally dislike them, but we've hashed this one out to death already.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...ns-anyone.html
Nope! I LOVE the open concept especially when we entertain, or holidays. Really works well, enough space allowing people to be together and not isolating people in smaller sub divided areas where they can't interact.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I like the wings, but you've maximized the construction costs for a minimized square footage. The reason people build 2 story squares in you get the maximum square footage for the minimum construction cost.

I don't want a multi-story house anymore. I'm tired of the one I live in now, especially carrying laundry up and down stairs and going up and down them all the time. As I get older it's getting painful and our older dogs can't do it at all. This house originally was a container house that I changed to stick built. It's basically a long rancher bent into a U shape. I also patterned it after a small villa with a courtyard that is enclosed on the three sides for privacy. That allows also for clerestory windows to bring in light into the bedrooms and hallways, too.

I don't care so much about cost per square foot, as it'd still be cheaper overall than a McMansion (which i also don't want) and it's not a snout house, either (as the garage is in back).

Old 03-04-2015, 02:57 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,132,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
While it'll definitely cost more per square foot, the overall design is simple, clean and much more usable than more compact designs. The only 'wasted space' I see is the bedroom hallway, but the live-ability benefit of having the sleeping areas separated from the living space is more important. Some of that hall space could be reclaimed by having the hall end at the wall to the last bedroom - at the expense of garage access.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
While it'll definitely cost more per square foot, the overall design is simple, clean and much more usable than more compact designs. The only 'wasted space' I see is the bedroom hallway, but the live-ability benefit of having the sleeping areas separated from the living space is more important. Some of that hall space could be reclaimed by having the hall end at the wall to the last bedroom - at the expense of garage access.
Yeah, it's basically a typical 40'x60' rancher, with the back half split and turned 90 degrees sideways. It's not really that large or that much square footage, if you don't include the courtyard, which after spending some time in New Orleans, I love the idea of one.

Originally the end of the hall had a storage area, but the garage was over to the front side then. I wasn't as fond of that layout, as it required a wider plot of land. Pardon the crudeness of this early test...
Attached Thumbnails
How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-housetest030b.jpg   How do you feel about "open concept" floorplans?-housetest027b.jpg  

Old 03-05-2015, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,493,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
I also just realized the lighting sucks over the island, and that somehow I didn't make the counter tops double sided (so light goes through them). Fixed both those issues, and did one at night with just the bar lights on...
No, no, no, no, no - do NOT put that stove top so close to the sink, leaving very little counter space beside either!

Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, no, no, no, no - do NOT put that stove top so close to the sink, leaving very little counter space beside either!
if you noticed, I've since changed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating