Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:03 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I agree and don't doubt that there are many people, like you, who probably truly like open-floor plans (or other things that become fads simply because they're trendy). Everyone who happens to have what's current isn't necessarily following a trend.

However, I have to disagree, and strongly that many people don't follow trends simply for the sake of the trend. Interestingly, I came upon some very old recordings which happened to include a local realtor's homes-for-sale show. Not one home showcased included the words "updated...updates, etc." That's all you hear nowadays, though, because that's what a lot of people want.

Good for you for having what you want in a home, because that's also something else I've noticed--people who make changes to layouts, pull out perfectly good fixtures, and use color schemes that they think other people will want.

Personally, I can't imagine doing that.
same here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 12:06 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,593,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
I have been in the market to buy property recently and looked at a ton of places. Though I lived as a renter in an "open concept" condo with all the bells and whistles, I found that I really shied away from that as a buyer. I still find it kind of odd to have a kitchen right near my sofa. But I understand that lots of people look for this specific sort of layout.

What are your thoughts on the "open concept" thing?
Having lived & owned a few, hate em! If ones watching TV the other wants cook and using things like blenders etc, folks complain about the nose your making, plus your mess is out in the open for all to see if your cooking up a meal, smells... Unless the home offer another private setting room off from the kitchen/ living combo setup, I never buy a home with open floor plan aging and haven't... ...

Old 12-22-2013, 11:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Yes, this was one of my major objections to open concept. I love to decorate. Having one large room requires that you have a "theme " that works for everything. In the condo I lived in, the cabinets in the kitchen (which was visible to the dining and living areas) were a very dark wood. I liked them in the kitchen, but found I had to be very careful about other finishes in the dining and living area so that the cabinets "made sense". I ended up changing out some tables, rugs and paint colors because my stuff just didn't work.

I also had a breakfast bar that separated the kitchen area from the living area. When I initially saw the place, I thought "oh great! This will be fantastic." I quickly learned that for me, it was useless unless I was using it as a staging area for food when guests came over. I probably actually sat there and ate twice the whole time I lived there.

My biggest issue may sound weird, but it was smell. If you burn something or are making food with a distinctive aroma, it gets very easily into your sofa cushions, drapes, etc., in an open concept. There is no way to contain it. I burnt toast one morning and for about a week, every time I put my head down on the sofa, I smelled it again.
It helps to have smooth transitions between any rooms, IMO, whether in an open floor plan or not. Use your kitchen exhaust to pull odors out of your house when you burn something. If you don't use your breakfast bar, why not? We use ours every day. I bought comfortable chairs for it, and nice place mats. If the bar isn't big enough, I do understand that. But you would buy a place with a usable bar, not a narrow unusable one. There are all sorts of open plan floorplans. Some are better than others.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:20 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
If it is big enough, open concept can still have well-defined areas and not feel as if the kitchen is in the living room, etc.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
I have been in the market to buy property recently and looked at a ton of places. Though I lived as a renter in an "open concept" condo with all the bells and whistles, I found that I really shied away from that as a buyer. I still find it kind of odd to have a kitchen right near my sofa. But I understand that lots of people look for this specific sort of layout.

What are your thoughts on the "open concept" thing?
My thoughts are that if it works, it works. Of course if it doesn't, then, well...

My current home is the only "official" open concept floor plan I have ever occupied, and based on the size of my townhome, I would not want it another way. I have only lived in one residence where the kitchen was completely closed off and separate. All other residences were not open concept, but had kitchens that opened up to living rooms and/or dining rooms.

Quote:
I'm not a fan, and don't see the appeal of having every home look like a studio apartment.

More monkey-see, monkey-do...
Well, when your home has a foot print just slightly over 600 sq ft....

I liked open concept and modern design about 20 years before I even knew what HGTV was. I have always preferred the 50s style modern home mentioned a few times in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My point is, one size does not fit all, and don't let the herd mentality on HGTV dictate what is right for your family.
I watch a lot of HGTV. It is primarily the only station on in my home. The majority of the programs on HGTV have nothing to do with "open concept" and on the few that do mention it, it is only a portion of what they cover. Basically, like the 5000 other websites and blogs that blame HGTV for the fad that is open concept, ya'll got it wrong.

Quote:
It's pretty clear, and it's the same in every case--consumers panting after every current fad. That applies to "open-concept" homes (until formal dining rooms become the next fad), stainless-steel appliances, cheesy white doors to match the cheesy white floor moldings and door casings instead of rich wood, etc.

In other words, homes with no charm.
And then this would also apply to you. So, what fad did you follow?

Stainless steel appliances were a fad back in the early 2000s. I would say they are more of a talking (selling) point these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
Open concept is not modern. It was the 1950s idea of modern.
Late 50s/60s design is modern design. That is when the concept of modernism and modern design and modern philosophy came about. So when someone speaks of modern design, they are generally referring to a 60s influence (if they know what they are talking about). Otherwise modern[ism] is confused with contemporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I know that many people like the open concept kitchen but I like to work
alone when we entertain and there's an old world charm about it (for me) when the women like our
aunts, moms, grandmothers and their friends would hide out in the kitchen and have the greatest
and very interesting conversations.
That old world charm was AKA people knew their place.

Quote:
Not one home showcased included the words "updated...updates, etc." That's all you hear nowadays, though, because that's what a lot of people want.

Good for you for having what you want in a home, because that's also something else I've noticed--people who make changes to layouts, pull out perfectly good fixtures, and use color schemes that they think other people will want.

Personally, I can't imagine doing that.
Back in the day people bought homes because they wanted to put down roots. When they looked at a home, they imagined their stuff in it and all they ways they could personalize the home and make it their own. Of course that takes work, and who wants to do that these days? Now, people want to purchase homes that are 100% move-in ready. It might suck for you as the seller, but when someone is looking at 30-40 homes, they are going to purchase the one that has the least amount of "flaws" and prettiest refrigerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Having lived & owned a few, hate em! If ones watching TV the other wants cook and using things like blenders etc, folks complain about the nose your making, plus your mess is out in the open for all to see if your cooking up a meal, smells... Unless the home offer another private setting room off from the kitchen/ living combo setup, I never buy a home with open floor plan aging and haven't... ...
I worked as a professional cook for sixteen years. Cooking is what I do. My home better smell like cooking or something is wrong. Anyone who is embarrassed by "cooking smells" either never grew up in a home that really gathered around cooking/family meals, is a lame cook to begin with, or has mental issues. It's like the whole number 2 thing: everybody does it, yet, everybody acts like they never do.

People generally love the smell of cooking food, don't know why it is such an embarrassment.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:07 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
My thoughts are that if it works, it works. Of course if it doesn't, then, well...
Late 50s/60s design is modern design. That is when the concept of modernism and modern design and modern philosophy came about. So when someone speaks of modern design, they are generally referring to a 60s influence (if they know what they are talking about). Otherwise modern[ism] is confused with contemporary.

That old world charm was AKA people knew their place.

I worked as a professional cook for sixteen years. Cooking is what I do. My home better smell like cooking or something is wrong. Anyone who is embarrassed by "cooking smells" either never grew up in a home that really gathered around cooking/family meals, is a lame cook to begin with, or has mental issues. It's like the whole number 2 thing: everybody does it, yet, everybody acts like they never do.

People generally love the smell of cooking food, don't know why it is such an embarrassment.

Yes, it was old world charm and it's also called bonding . Cooking is something many women did and
still do (with great pride as well) so they may not get paid to cook or do not have the label as a
professional but they also cooks. A professional chef or cook doesn't always work in an open concept
restaurant.
Did anyone on this thread actually say they were embarrassed about smells?

Modern design/Modernism began much earlier than the 60's. It became popular after the second world
war. Then there was the Bauhaus movement from 1919 to the mid 30's. That is Modern and then we
could discuss "Contemporary."

Modern architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Yes, it was old world charm and it's also called bonding . Cooking is something many women did and
still do (with great pride as well) so they may not get paid to cook or do not have the label as a
professional but they also cooks. A professional chef or cook doesn't always work in an open concept
restaurant.
Did anyone on this thread actually say they were embarrassed about smells?

Modern design/Modernism began much earlier than the 60's. It became popular after the second world
war. Then there was the Bauhaus movement from 1919 to the mid 30's. That is Modern and then we
could discuss "Contemporary."

Modern architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I spent 20 years in a "modern" scene, so...yes, Modernism has its roots going back into the late 1800s, and some of it, such as Modern and Art Deco, are known by their own name[s]. In terms of interior design, Modern is a reference to mid-century modern. Namely, the design "philosophy" that dominated the 1960s. I'm talking about clean lines, minimalistic design, smooth/polished shiny plastic/wood/metal, an almost "sterile" feeling, slightly futuristic, open/airy, and so on. it is a defined style that does not change, like Art Deco. It was the same in 1975 as it was in 1965 as it will be in 2055. Contemporary is the here-and-now. It can, and often times does, borrow concepts from other time periods. It can be completely based on current fad. Or, it can be completely generic. What-ever it is, it is generally an attempt to be "new" and stylish. It is not any one particular style as it is always changing. Essentially, despite being current, it is not a stead-fast design concept. What is Contemporary today will not be Contemporary 10 years from now.

Contemporary is never a defined style...hence why the "style" is referred to as contemporary.

No, no one actually wrote that they are embarrassed by any odors originating in the kitchen (cooking). But, no one said they were not, either. Instead, we have posters who wrote something to the effect that they want an enclosed kitchen to keep kitchen smells (cooking) from escaping. This was something that was also discussed in another forum regarding exhaust hoods. You don't don't have to say something to say something.

As for the old world charm...that is a topic for another sub-forum.

Last edited by K-Luv; 12-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: to add the word: stylish.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I spent 20 years in a "modern" scene, so...yes, Modernism has its roots going back into the late 1800s, and some of it, such as Modern and Art Deco, are known by their own name[s]. In terms of interior design, Modern is a reference to mid-century modern. Namely, the design "philosophy" that dominated the 1960s. I'm talking about clean lines, minimalistic design, smooth/polished shiny plastic/wood/metal, an almost "sterile" feeling, slightly futuristic, open/airy, and so on. it is a defined style that does not change, like Art Deco. It was the same in 1975 as it was in 1965 as it will be in 2055. Contemporary is the here-and-now. It can, and often times does, borrow concepts from other time periods. It can be completely based on current fad. Or, it can be completely generic. What-ever it is, it is generally an attempt to be "new" and stylish. It is not any one particular style as it is always changing. Essentially, despite being current, it is not a stead-fast design concept. What is Contemporary today will not be Contemporary 10 years from now.

Contemporary is never a defined style...hence why the "style" is referred to as contemporary.
I have studied Modern and Contemporary Art and Design for over 40 years. Yes Contemporary
equals current and/or now. It also has borrowed from several and previous design elements. I do think
we will see some current and past elements in 2055 but it will not be the same. There will always be
change, modifications and just maybe someone will come up with something completely new (which is
very difficult to do). Every artist, designer or architect has been influenced by another artist/designer.

These are some sources which sound familiar.
Modern vs Contemporary – What’s The Difference? | Relish Interiors

So Your Style Is: Contemporary

Those clear lines and minimalist features were seen in Scandinavian interior designs. The link and picture
is from 1930.

N1_02146 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-23-2013, 08:57 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I don't want to be able to see my kitchen from any other room but we can see ours from our dining area. My kitchen is "my kitchen" and I want to be in it alone and not worrying if a child is sliding into the stove just as I start to get the bread out of the oven.

I like having all the social entertaining areas together such as the dining area and the sitting area. Chopped up rooms are a pain when entertaining guests.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:23 AM

18,477 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't want to be able to see my kitchen from any other room but we can see ours from our dining area. My kitchen is "my kitchen" and I want to be in it alone and not worrying if a child is sliding into the stove just as I start to get the bread out of the oven.

I like having all the social entertaining areas together such as the dining area and the sitting area. Chopped up rooms are a pain when entertaining guests.

and how often do you "entertain", that this becomes such a terrible problem?

actually, I would hate to be sitting on my couch and see the stove and fridge, I see nothing appealing about looking at appliances.

I don't care what anyone says, a 2K SS fridge is still ugly.

give me walls, give me seperate spaces.
open concept is like living in a giant studio apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating