Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:02 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

I worked as a professional cook for sixteen years. Cooking is what I do. My home better smell like cooking or something is wrong. Anyone who is embarrassed by "cooking smells" either never grew up in a home that really gathered around cooking/family meals, is a lame cook to begin with, or has mental issues. It's like the whole number 2 thing: everybody does it, yet, everybody acts like they never do.

People generally love the smell of cooking food, don't know why it is such an embarrassment.
There is a pizza place here in town that I just love. I go there every other week and more often than that in the summer time. It smells great while I am in there. It does not smell great when I get back to the office and can still smell it on my clothes.

Same for my cooking. It smells great when I'm cooking/eating it. But I don't think so two hours later and it is still hanging in the living room. I'm not embarrassed by it, and I'm not a lame cook either. I don't have mental issues, I just don't want to smell it after the fact. Number 2 either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I really don't like today's open concept floor plans. They look busy and messy with the way furniture is arranged around the kitchen. I prefer the retro open concept floor plans that have a division of space even with the rooms being open. For many decades, there has usually been a dinette area and a family room open to the kitchen area, but they were clearly defined spaces. I prefer that to the blobs of furniture people are arranging in the newer open concept areas. Walls are important. Open concept floor plans have too much floating furniture, dare I say literally floating rooms, and I feel like I'm looking at a furniture store instead of a home. Fortunately, I don't have this problem. My house is over 100 years old with high ceilings. It has lots of space and light. We opened up some walls, but there's still a clear division of spaces in my home.
Thank you for this, I agree!!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Yes, this was one of my major objections to open concept. I love to decorate. Having one large room requires that you have a "theme " that works for everything.
Yes, that is a major complaint for me too. It's so boring.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:54 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,080,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
Yes, that is a major complaint for me too. It's so boring.
I can't even imagine this being a real problem in someone's life.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,292 times
Mkarch, I doubt that you would consider any of the issues on the design and decorating forum major problems, but that what this forum is about, so if you don't like it, don't visit.
I personally like the open concept, rather than a series of rooms. I think they usually make a better use of available light and give a feeling of expansiveness, especially in smaller houses. If I had a large house with a lot of people living there, I might feel different.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
I can't even imagine this being a real problem in someone's life.
I know, first world problems, right?

The same "theme" or paint color everywhere really is boring though, admit it.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:28 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:

I disagree, especially when it's an open oplan like this one:

I don't find that boring at all.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:25 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
That room desperately needs some color.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:34 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That room desperately needs some color.
the color is called "wood" and it's rich and warm feeling.

Sometimes I think you complain just to hear yourself complain.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:47 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:

I don't have a "theme" in decorating (perish the thought!) and my antiques, mid-century modern and modern pieces all live very harmoniously together. And I would not want to use multiple paint colors, I love the harmony and spacious feeling I get from having all the walls on my living area the same color. Of course, as has been pointed out, there isn't a huge amount of wall space in the first place, and a single color keeps it from looking choppy.

S there is nothing to admit, other than the fact that you have different design and architecture preferences. Doesn't mean that either of us is right or wrong, just different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating