Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times

Advertisements

We have a finished daylight walk-out basement that had been very well done -- drywall, nice molding, good quality doors, lighting and carpet.

Then comes the busted gas water heater over a weekend when we were out of town . . .

Up comes the carpet. But what to replace it with? We're dealing with some other water intrusion matters at this point that we had not realized before we took up the carpet (over in corners and along the edge, behind furniture, etc.) and will have the waterproofing done soon. But now I have to replace the flooring, and I have basically a clean slate.

The only thing I can't easily do is dyed concrete -- just a few too many imperfections and it would need a skim coat -- and I'm not so in love with the concrete look to go through that. Carpet would be easy, but if there's another water issue, then there goes the carpet again. Same with wood floors, which would be my preference, but it seems extravagant to put them in a basement (we're talking about almost 1200 sf). I don't care for laminate -- too plastic-y for my tastes. My first choice is some sort of tile -- I was interested in the tile that has the woodgrain look, but I'm afraid it's going to look dated sooner rather than later, and other tile just seems a little cold and noisy.

Any brilliant ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
We love the commercial-grade tile in our walkout basement.
Very easy to clean all the gunk that is tracked in.

Noisy and cold are fixed with area rugs.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
My BIL has pebble epoxy flooring in his finished basement. It's absolutely stunning.

You can literally hose it down if you wanted. It's the perfect solution for a basement with water issues.

There aren't many indoor picture examples online, but I found these two.

The contractor he used allowed him to pick the mixture of the pebble colors he wanted.

Here's a picture with some colors but the sky is the limit.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,668,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My BIL has pebble epoxy flooring in his finished basement. It's absolutely stunning.

You can literally hose it down if you wanted. It's the perfect solution for a basement with water issues.

There aren't many indoor picture examples online, but I found these two.
That's interesting. Am i correct in thinking that the floor surface is uneven? Or does the epoxy smooth it out? It looks a little like the pool deck surface we had in South Florida, except with much smaller pebbles (I think it was called "chattahoochee", for some reason).

Old 01-05-2014, 02:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
I would either do stained concrete with rugs you can easily change out or something that molds to the existing floor like an epoxy.

Even the "best made" basements always have water issues somewhere. No need to keep putting in a flooring that will continually have to be ripped up or, worse, matched if the leak only affects a small area.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:40 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
If you have a local source of higher-end vinyl flooring in your area, I'd look at that. I like marmoleum, wilsonart, etc.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
That's interesting. Am i correct in thinking that the floor surface is uneven? Or does the epoxy smooth it out? It looks a little like the pool deck surface we had in South Florida, except with much smaller pebbles (I think it was called "chattahoochee", for some reason).
The epoxy evens it out for the most part. It's comfortable to walk on in bare feet. This is the ideal flooring for your uneven imperfect concrete. It will hide that. It will also handle all of your water issues. It cleans up easily. It's a similar surface to the outside material.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:00 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Look for Amtico Flooring.
They used to be a stand alone manufacturer of premium vinyl flooring (they were bought by Mannington a couple of yrs ago). I had used their marble-look flooring many years ago- it was so impressive the first time I saw it; I really believed it was the real deal.

They also have a very impressive looking "wood flooring" selection.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
Before you do anything, address the water intrusion issues--grading the lawn, down spouts, drain tiling, etc.

I really like that epoxy flooring!!! I've never seen that inside before. I wonder if you could do that over an in-floor heating system???

Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,057,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Look for Amtico Flooring.
They used to be a stand alone manufacturer of premium vinyl flooring (they were bought by Mannington a couple of yrs ago). I had used their marble-look flooring many years ago- it was so impressive the first time I saw it; I really believed it was the real deal.
Wow, some nice products there.

I personally think vinyl is where it's at for a lot of applications that may have previously been tile or laminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating