Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 08:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I finally finished my dining room chandelier:

I apologe for the hugness and bad quality of the picture... but, it gives you an idea. It took me a couple weeks to make that thing, but I think it looks pretty good. I wrote a blog post (well, 4 actually) about it: DIY Diva: Faux Shell Chandelier - Part 1

Next up for me is this cooler I'm making that I found on IKEA Hackers.
Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
FYI, I sent away for swatches from Fabric.com and Fabricguru.com, and the fabric guru's came in a few days, but the fabric.com are on backorder. Also, I'm looking at some fabric as low as $4.99 a yd at fabric guru, but the lowest at fabric.com is $14.99. So fabric guru is definitely my favorite site right now.
I skipped the swatches and went straight for the fabric. I hope I'm not sorry. I also took another chance. I ordered one piece of fabric that they described as "smeared on the very edge." If their definition of "very edge" is the same as my definition of "very edge," I think it will work just fine for me. I'll probably just cut it off or turn it under. We'll see shortly .

Great job on the chandelier, nikitakolata! I love DIY stuff.

Sheepie, go for it! I also put away my sewing machine for a long time and recently dug it out of the closet. It all comes back to you. I did have to mess with the bobbin for a bit , hate those things.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Beautiful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I skipped the swatches and went straight for the fabric. I hope I'm not sorry. I also took another chance. I ordered one piece of fabric that they described as "smeared on the very edge." If their definition of "very edge" is the same as my definition of "very edge," I think it will work just fine for me. I'll probably just cut it off or turn it under. We'll see shortly .

Great job on the chandelier, nikitakolata! I love DIY stuff.

Sheepie, go for it! I also put away my sewing machine for a long time and recently dug it out of the closet. It all comes back to you. I did have to mess with the bobbin for a bit , hate those things.

Thanks!

I agree, just go for it with the sewing. I am not much of a seamstress, but I just tell myself that if I really screw up I can take the stitches out. That's why they inveted those seam rippers, right?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 AM

52 posts, read 125,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This is a great way to cover a lot for cheap, but I hope you aren't using them outside? I made the mistake of using drop cloths for patio curtains and they turned mildew within a few weeks.
No. They are in the bedroom

Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Insulate and frame out part of the basement in preparation for a play room.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:55 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:

I apologe for the hugness and bad quality of the picture... but, it gives you an idea. It took me a couple weeks to make that thing, but I think it looks pretty good. I wrote a blog post (well, 4 actually) about it: DIY Diva: Faux Shell Chandelier - Part 1

Wow, what an undertaking! Great job.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
That chandelier is beautiful!

We just got done doing boring but necessary stuff - mounting two TVs and a huge floor to ceiling mirror and a clock. Not much fun but it's something that had to be done!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Great chandelier!!!

I've been on a huge organizing and decluttering kick lately. And the boyfriend let me tackle a few of his problem spots. I started on this huge floor-to-ceiling built in cabinet in his bathroom last weekend, it's used as a linen closet as well as to store cleaning supplies and toiletries. It was a freaking disaster. Last weekend I decluttered it and threw out a bunch of old, expired, empty stuff, as well as got rid of stuff he no longer uses. Bought a bunch of matching storage baskets and this weekend, the remaining stuff gets organized into baskets and the baskets get labeled.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:28 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Great chandelier!!!

I've been on a huge organizing and decluttering kick lately. And the boyfriend let me tackle a few of his problem spots. I started on this huge floor-to-ceiling built in cabinet in his bathroom last weekend, it's used as a linen closet as well as to store cleaning supplies and toiletries. It was a freaking disaster. Last weekend I decluttered it and threw out a bunch of old, expired, empty stuff, as well as got rid of stuff he no longer uses. Bought a bunch of matching storage baskets and this weekend, the remaining stuff gets organized into baskets and the baskets get labeled.
That is my idea of fun! Such a satisfying project.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Quote:

This is marvelous! Thanks for the tutorial. Really want to try this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating