Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 AM

8 posts, read 16,924 times

Advertisements

Hi this is the floor plan of my new apartment

I am little confused on where to place the TV in my living room. The plan puts it on the left however I feel it will be a pain to view the TV from side angles. If I place it on the right then the TV will not be in the centre of the living room because of the bedroom door. Any idea on the placement of the TV or furnitures that will complement this floor plan for the living room will be really appreciated.

PS: I haven't decided on the size of my TV yet. I am open to suggestions on that front too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:48 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Are there any windows except on the front wall?
Not much wall space there: either the left wall in living room, or the right wall in the den.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
First you need to decide the size of the television, then you need to decide if you want to hang it on the wall or have an entertainment center or a smaller television stand. After those decisions are made the best thing in my opinion to do is look for the plug in the wall and start putting the television and furniture in different areas until you like the furnishings in the room.
Yes it takes a while, yes it is a pain to continue to move things but in the end it is worth the effort because once you place everything you can leave it as it is.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:52 AM

Thank you for your reply Elina. There are no windows except on the front wall. I have seen places where they wall mount the TV on the bottom-right corner of the living room near the bedroom sliding door and incline it at an angle facing the top-left corner of the living room. Looked a little odd. Never thought about putting it in the den.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
First you need to decide the size of the television, then you need to decide if you want to hang it on the wall or have an entertainment center or a smaller television stand. After those decisions are made the best thing in my opinion to do is look for the plug in the wall and start putting the television and furniture in different areas until you like the furnishings in the room.
Yes it takes a while, yes it is a pain to continue to move things but in the end it is worth the effort because once you place everything you can leave it as it is.
Thank you CSD610. I was thinking of wall mounting initially. Yes buying a small television stand and moving things around makes sense.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:17 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
What about some divider between living room and the dining room, and just put the TV there?
Something like this?
http://images.containerstore.com/cat...lnutPlat_l.jpg
or this, perhaps?
http://www.claffisica.org/wp-content...h-Shelving.jpg
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...a024a10fa2.jpg

You could put in on a swivel and watch TV from the kitchen or the living room
TV DVD Swivel Stand
Bush Segments 57" Swivel TV Stand | Wayfair
It would enclose the living room a bit and make the space little more cozy...

Or a corner stand where the plant is (behind the long chair)?
Corner TV Stands - Walmart.com

I would get rid of the dining table/4chairs (except you are going to entertain and serve dinners). You will gain more space in that room.

Last edited by elnina; 07-07-2014 at 05:28 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What about some divider between living room and the dining room, and just put the TV there?
Something like this?
http://images.containerstore.com/cat...lnutPlat_l.jpg
or this, perhaps?
http://www.claffisica.org/wp-content...h-Shelving.jpg
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...a024a10fa2.jpg

You could put in on a swivel and watch TV from the kitchen or the living room
TV DVD Swivel Stand
Bush Segments 57" Swivel TV Stand | Wayfair
It would enclose the living room a bit and make the space little more cozy...

Or a corner stand where the plant is (behind the long chair)?
Corner TV Stands - Walmart.com

I would get rid of the dining table/4chairs (except you are going to entertain and serve dinners). You will gain more space in that room.
Thank you for these suggestions Elina. Certainly gives me a direction to look into now . Swivel is super cool.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
IDK... if that were my apartment, I would have the TV in the den.
I would rather plan the LR around the view than a TV.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charismaticfoobar View Post
Hi this is the floor plan of my new apartment

I am little confused on where to place the TV in my living room. The plan puts it on the left however I feel it will be a pain to view the TV from side angles. If I place it on the right then the TV will not be in the centre of the living room because of the bedroom door. Any idea on the placement of the TV or furnitures that will complement this floor plan for the living room will be really appreciated.

PS: I haven't decided on the size of my TV yet. I am open to suggestions on that front too.
My advice, same as always: why does a TV need to be against a living room wall?

TVs can be used as a room divider, as elnina pointed out...

...or they can go into another room.

You need to think about how you will realistically use each room. Based on the size of this apartment I am going to assume that you are single, or perhaps a couple without children. You might entertain guests from time-to-time but unless you are going to have the bros over for every televised sporting event why not put the TV in the den? It looks like you already got a couch in there.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM

17,602 posts, read 17,629,777 times
I live in a mobile home that is 14 feet by 48 feet. I've learned to buy furniture, TV, and ceiling fans for the home I have instead of the home I wish I had. There is a size chart somewhere online for viewing distance to TV size. Use this chart as a guide. Most who enter our home say it looks bigger inside than it does on the outside (no, it's not a Tardis). Our living room has one love seat and one recliner. That's our furniture. We do have a 48 inch TV in the living room but that's because I watch TV from the kitchen while cooking or doing dishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating