Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:26 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times

Advertisements

Well she must like that style so look it up and get familiar with it, here is a google start:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ligh...country+french

The grayish blue seems too cold for being upstate New York and I understand why you want to warm it up with the dark colors, but like others have said it doesn't really work with the cabinets you have. They might have to be painted out or replaced in the future. You might have tried a lighter gold/orange color scheme to make it warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:11 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
I am not a fan of it either but could you go with a wainscoting and chair rail to give it a little life seeing as you like the color? I would repaint but trying to offer an alternative that "might" work depending upon your style.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan316 View Post
Kledgebldr, it is OUR house, so I dont know what you are trying to get at, just because we cant agree on a paint color doesnt mean we have to sell a house, how dumb is that. Also I did 20 years Active duty in the Army, we have been married 22 years and this is the first place we have ever been allowed to paint. Guess you must never have a disagreement with a loved one, huh?
Yikes, defensive much, LOL? I think the OP thought that perhaps you owned the home prior to getting married since you had chosen the color , esp since it's a color scheme that seems to opposite from your wife's taste.

Anyway, I'd have to agree with others who have said the color (which I like on it's own) is too dark for the room. I'd also try doing what others have suggested in regards to the window - hang curtains a little higher and farther from the sill to create the illusion of a larger window.

I currently live in SoCal but have lived in various Northern places - I feel like I am really affected by SAD so light and airy would be a priority for me.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,226,596 times
well, if it's a choice between the maroon and grayish blue, I'd keep the maroon. But I'd nix the little hook thingy on the wall and put something bigger and lighter and cheerier.

Probably the same for the wall to the right that can't be seen. Area rug under the table, different window treatment-one that opens the window up (visually of course).

But, hey, I just painted my kitchen dark brown so what do I know.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 3,458 times
We just agreed on a tan color called Milano by Behr Marquee, not as exciting as the grayish blue or the red, but maybe once we are out of this winter funk we can re-think a better color. And no I'm not really defensive, just don't understand what any of that had to with the color of paint lol the comment was a little extreme. I guess I should have re-worded. I (myself) painted the kitchen the deep red, at first she agreed with the red and once it was up she wanted the blue, but I still liked the red. So we had a disagreement.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
We just agreed on a tan color called Milano by Behr Marquee, not as exciting as the grayish blue or the red, but maybe once we are out of this winter funk we can re-think a better color. And no I'm not really defensive, just don't understand what any of that had to with the color of paint lol the comment was a little extreme. I guess I should have re-worded. I (myself) painted the kitchen the deep red, at first she agreed with the red and once it was up she wanted the blue, but I still liked the red. So we had a disagreement.

TMI. Just go with the color choice next time.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Milano MQ2-12

That color looks on the cool side to me. I think you might want to consider a wamer color if your wife is looking for a french country look (?)

I'd also plan on a couple coats of a quality primer to cover the first color. Deep red is one of the worst to try and repaint over, even after you think it's covered - it can still sort of tint thru to the next color...

Old 02-24-2015, 03:47 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
You can't pick a color online or even at a paint store. You need to get a sample and get some up on the walls to live with it for a while and see if it really works. Check in all different light, at all times of day. Subtle differences in paint colors can make a huge difference in how well it works in any given space.

And at least on line, I have strong doubts that is going to go well with your cabinets and trim.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You can't pick a color online or even at a paint store. You need to get a sample and get some up on the walls to live with it for a while and see if it really works. Check in all different light, at all times of day. Subtle differences in paint colors can make a huge difference in how well it works in any given space.

And at least on line, I have strong doubts that is going to go well with your cabinets and trim.

My thoughts too.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

I've lucked out in that we have a free standing Pottery Barn down the road from us. Sherwin Williams does their paints now, it used to be Benjamin Moore which I preferred. Anyway - they paint the interior wall in the different colors from their line and since the store has lots of windows, I really can see how the color looks at different times of the day and under natural and artificial light.

I'd also strongly consider a flat paint vs semi-gloss or even eggshell finish. Partly my personal prefence, but also because of the size of the room.

I think that red is so strong that the OP will have to primer the whole thing back to white. Even if he primers one wall - that much red around it will influence how the new color reads in a test patch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating