Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:04 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times

Advertisements

I hope you have a comfortable bed and bedding stuff!

Recently we visited my sister in another state who complained that she bought her house YEARS ago and no one came to visit. She had us sleep on an old futon that I could feel the frame right through and it hurt my joints so much I had to go sleep on the couch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

Recently we visited my sister in another state who complained that she bought her house YEARS ago and no one came to visit. She had us sleep on an old futon that I could feel the frame right through and it hurt my joints so much I had to go sleep on the couch.
Both our beds upstairs are awesome - we do have that part of it down pat! A variety of pillow types too.

Old 03-27-2015, 04:10 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
How about a sleep mask and some ear plugs? Being away from home sometimes, unfamiliar noises and even lighting can cause problems falling asleep (and staying asleep!) Also, I have a friend who has allergies (we have cats) and I keep Benadryl on hand for her in case she forgets hers or runs out - also some Excedrin for an unexpected headache!
It sounds like you have it covered though - and I hope you have a wonderful visit with your friends.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

And so you won't be visiting again?

In that case, a motel room sounds awfully good, doesn't it?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
My 4 guests arrive tomorrow, and I have implemented many of these ideas. I think they're going to be pretty darned happy with their accommodations!

I'm so glad you started this thread, kathyrn!

Maybe I'll pop back into this thread in a week to let you know how their visit goes, and what amenities (if any) they commented on.
I look forward to your post!

Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And so you won't be visiting again?

In that case, a motel room sounds awfully good, doesn't it?

I have no problem staying a hotel/motel/whatever. I thought it'd be nice to stay at her place since she seemed like she wanted people there. (She lives alone.) And if I ever go back down there, I'd just sleep on her couch.

She usually comes to my area every year anyway so I probably won't be back to visit for a long time. Not because of the bed, just to be clear. Haha.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Oops, I meant to mention that the charging station mentioned in a previous post is an excellent idea. I will implement that one myself.
I finally added a charging station in an outlet in my guest room. We had a houseful last weekend. I think putting an extra charging station around is a really good idea for guests.

And, I learned this: for multiple guests who use the same bathroom, put towels in the bedroom! That way they can have their own towels instead of picking up a damp one in the bath that has just been used.

And I failed in one respect: I failed to put extra hangers in the closet.

I did have a lovely weekend though.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
I like to leave a couple bottles of water and some chocolates.

Our guest bedroom has a comfortable chair and light to read in. I'm going to track down a folding luggage stand. I love the idea of a basket of toiletries. I usually just make sure the guest bathroom has a blow dryer et.

Guest bed has bookcase headboard and I always like to leave a few books and magazines I think they'll like.

I also have maps, brochures and books on the area -- gardens, hiking trails, museums and so forth.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 PM

388 posts, read 474,377 times
It rains a lot here so I ask guests to remove their shoes once inside.
I keep a basket of no-slip socks in various sizes near the front door, next to a bench.
Slippers are bulky to pack, so these work great for guests as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Wrapables%C2%A...non-slip+socks

I wish every guest room had room-only heat control or a space heater just for the room. I can't count on that, so I always pack a heating pad and an extension cord. I keep an electric radiator-style heater in my guest room.

Thanks for the lists of toiletries posters have added. I have some shopping to do! The person who reminded me that flyers are very restricted as to amount of liquids allowed in suitcases is quite right.

One request on behalf of guests: please have the guest room, bathroom, and linens unscented. I recently stayed with friends and sneezed the whole time. The main culprits were scented dryer sheets and room "freshener" spray.

If you want a room to smell nice, put a drop of vanilla on a light bulb. Vanilla bothers few people.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:00 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,606,309 times
spend a night in your guest room before they come. That helps immensely with knowing what adds to the comfort of the room. Sometimes you need to adjust furniture placement, etc., to avoid stubbed toes on a middle-of-the-night bathroom visit, or the bedside lamp isn't bright enough to read by, or there's not an easy place to charge the phone/tablet etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating