Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 04:37 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times

Advertisements

I think most things I do have been covered.

One thing.......if your tv remotes are anything other than straightforward make sure you instruct your guests how to use them or print up instructions.

I usually set up a mini bar unless I know for sure they don't drink. Red/white wine and glasses. Ice bucket and mini bottles of flavored vodka, bourbon, scotch, white and cola soft drinks and water. A can of cashews, cheese straws. Also some sweets, Pepperidge farm cookies(or if its xmas a tin of my homemade cookies), some chocolates.

I usually get up before my guests, but just in case, I set the coffee the night before and show them where to push the button, where cups, cream sugar are. I also usually have pastries at the coffee station if they want to help themselves.

If there are any quirks about your house that you may be used to explain to them. A train that comes through at midnight, a loud noise at 2 am is the ice maker, whatever. A garbage truck that comes at 6 am on Tuesday etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 05:26 PM

I forgot, I always put fresh flowers in the guest bedroom and/or bath. Or, since you have until april, something green vining like ivy or pylodenrum in a vase is good also. Depending how long they stay you don't have to worry about changing it.

Also, if the guest rooms are on a different heating/ac zone make sure they know how they can adjust if desired.

And, before they come, make sure you open windows and air the room out. Easy to become nose blind to our own houses whether or not they are stuffy.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:25 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
It rains a lot here so I ask guests to remove their shoes once inside.
I keep a basket of no-slip socks in various sizes near the front door, next to a bench.
Slippers are bulky to pack, so these work great for guests as well.
Wrapables® Women Ankle Length Non-Skid Gripper Socks (Set of 3), Lavender, Hot Pink, Mint at Amazon Women

I wish every guest room had room-only heat control or a space heater just for the room. I can't count on that, so I always pack a heating pad and an extension cord. I keep an electric radiator-style heater in my guest room.

Thanks for the lists of toiletries posters have added. I have some shopping to do! The person who reminded me that flyers are very restricted as to amount of liquids allowed in suitcases is quite right.

One request on behalf of guests: please have the guest room, bathroom, and linens unscented. I recently stayed with friends and sneezed the whole time. The main culprits were scented dryer sheets and room "freshener" spray.

If you want a room to smell nice, put a drop of vanilla on a light bulb. Vanilla bothers few people.
I think guests also have some responsibility for being "a good guest", not a high maintenance guest. There are hotels that will cater to every whim!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:11 PM

Another thing not sure I've seen mentioned, just like sleeping in the bed yourself, if you've never used the shower good thing to try that also. Easily corrected if its not a decent spray.

Floor length mirror if you have a place for one and hooks on the backs of doors are good additions.

Also, it can be hard to apply makeup in front of a vanity mirror for people with vision issues. I have those pull out smaller round mirrors(regular on one side/magnifier on the other) in both my own and my guest room baths.

I used to get a lot of requests for iron/ironing boards....mainly from younger guests who either don't know how to pack or more likely just throwing all their stuff in at the last minute. I finally put a small ironing board/iron in the guest closet to avoid getting involved in that. I usually do a laundry call every day if they want to clean something.

Ditto a lot of requests for scissors.....put those in in the top drawer in the bathroom.

I upsized the bathroom/bedroom trash as it seems travelers have a lot of trash as people buy new stuff for travel and leave it wrapped until they need it.

For non-Americans, make sure you know where they can change money if they need to. I was surprised with a Canadian friend that we couldn't just waltz into any bank and change her money. Had to go to a branch next town over.

Sniff check sheets/towels before they arrive, esp if you live in a humid climate and/or if anyone is involved in laundry other than you. My own husband has a tendency to not let towels dry long enough resulting in a musty smell. But even in my mothers house one time we slept there and her sheets smelt musty. She's an impeccable housekeeper so it can happen to anyone where theres a lot of humidity and/or the sheets/towels have been unaired or stored for a long time.

Also, this seems like a no brainer to me, but I have been to a couple of peoples houses where they did not put out either unopened soap or soap that had clearly just been opened. Yuk. Even if its been barely used, I don't want to use soap that your previous guest may have rubbed all over their body. So either fresh soap or liquid body wash. I put out both deodorant soap and milder soap like dove for people who want it or have allergy issues.

Also, liquid soap at the sink.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:11 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Make sure the pillows are nice and clean, or buy new ones. I once stayed at a friend's house and the pillows smelled like dirty hair.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:41 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
One very nice touch that a friend did for me was put a bottle of high quality lavender essential oil on the nightstand so that I could put a drop or two on my pillow before going to sleep. It was so thoughtful and just what I needed as I was visiting during a stressful time.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:36 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Buy a 4-Cup coffee maker and put it in the guest bathroom with coffee, cups, etc. If you're not a morning person that's can make your day.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I finally have a guest bedroom that I am not embarrassed about. In our old house, we had basically a full bed. It was fine if there was only one guest but if it was a couple, man, it was really small. It was a small room and a bigger bed wouldn't fit.

So, enter the new house.

First overnight guests were my sister & her husband. We didn't even have a bed then and I felt bad because they had to sleep on air mattresses. We got the bed the week after they were here.

Our guest bedroom is big enough for a king. I couldn't see why my guests can have a new mattress and we can't. So, we bought ourselves a new mattress and gave our old one to our guests. Everyone who has slept on it all say the same thing-it is VERY comfortable and they all slept great.

Each time someone stays overnight, they always give us some ideas. My sister-in-law requested a hair dryer. (She requested a robe in the other house so I made sure there are a couple of robes in there.) Another one of my sisters requested a chair so she can put on her shoes without sitting on the bed and disturbing her significant other.

In the bathroom (as well as in the downstairs bathroom), I have many towels and I have a basket that has washcloths, toothbrushes, tooth paste, razors, shaving cream, motel shampoos & conditioners, etc. etc.

My guest bedroom isn't quite complete yet. We don't have many pics on the wall and unfortunately, the overhead light is just a bulb but we have a nice lamp next to the bed. The room itself doesn't quite look inviting but most people just use it to sleep in anyway. I don't want them to spend all their time in there-I want them to spend it downstairs visiting with us. I'm hoping to get that room done sometime within the next year.

Cat

Old 12-27-2015, 06:42 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Wine.
It is #1 on our guest's lists.
Cheezits is #2.
Weed is #3. Which will make the Cheezits necessary.

Last edited by davebarnes; 12-27-2015 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Welcome to Colorado

Old 12-28-2015, 11:16 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Wine.
It is #1 on our guest's lists.
Cheezits is #2.
Weed is #3. Which will make the Cheezits necessary.

I want to go to your house.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating