Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times

Advertisements

In our last house we used a light taupe-beige in a number of rooms and then painted the bedrooms a slightly darker shade of the same color. Then we did a darker taupe-beige under the chair rail in the kitchen. So basically the house was all the same color but different shades in various rooms. It made for nice continuity but a bit of variety, as well. There was a flow from room to room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,257 times
Default I love your space

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Yes. Our is. A modern duplex. We treat the walls as an art gallery.
Kwal Accu-Pro, Interior Flat Latex, white base 0910, CL 3211W “wash basin”
I agree that a white based wall colour is a great idea. Adding colour with artwork, furniture and throw pillows is so valuable to creating the look you want. I think it speaks more to your individuality!

Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 AM

102 posts, read 129,628 times
Not the whole house, no. But, Sea Salt is what I want to use to paint my living room! Such a nice color.

We are doing lots of blue tones in the house though, and a bit of great too. I like watery shades. My daughter's room is a light minty green. I think we are painting the office/guest room more of a pool blue color. I'm not sure about our bedroom but for the living room I am thinking Sea Salt.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,907,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I am in love with SW sea salt. I tend to decorate with lots of white and sand shades with pops of light green/blue. I had painted my bedroom in SW sea salt. Then my kitchen. Now I'm so in love with it, I'm thinking about using the shade in my great room.

Originally, I had planned to use sea salt, comfort gray, and another related color. But whenever I do samples on my wall, I keep coming back to seasalt.

Has anyone else just picked one shade? If it helps, the reason why I love this shade so much is because it looks different colors in different lights: in my bedroom, it looks very blue, in the kitchen, it almost looks like a green/gray.

Also, I am planning to sell within a year and a half so re-sale is important to me.
We did when we built our house. Since we wanted to take decorating slowly, we only painted the master, and 2 bathrooms a different color. Everything else was the same color.

Over time, 3 of 5 bedrooms are different colors and we will be painting the 4th shortly. We also changed the color of the dining room. The plan is to keep the main living areas and hallways the same color. I like the continuity.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,377,957 times
Default Keep it neutral if you are planding to sell soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I am in love with SW sea salt. I tend to decorate with lots of white and sand shades with pops of light green/blue. I had painted my bedroom in SW sea salt. Then my kitchen. Now I'm so in love with it, I'm thinking about using the shade in my great room.

Originally, I had planned to use sea salt, comfort gray, and another related color. But whenever I do samples on my wall, I keep coming back to seasalt.

Has anyone else just picked one shade? If it helps, the reason why I love this shade so much is because it looks different colors in different lights: in my bedroom, it looks very blue, in the kitchen, it almost looks like a green/gray.

Also, I am planning to sell within a year and a half so re-sale is important to me.

Is SW Sea Salt a blue color? If so, you might want to rethink it since you are planning to sell in a yr and a half. People like neutrals because they can buy and move in and their furniture will look OK there until they are ready to choose their own colors. At this point in your selling plan, everything you do should be geared toward making the home ready for any likely buyer.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:24 PM

39 posts, read 38,391 times
God damn hell no. Too damn trendy.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:58 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,935,079 times
Well, this thread made my day a lot easier today. We mostly paint our houses the same neutral colors, mostly earth tones with luminous white trim. I have some folks that I'm building a 4400 sq ft house and during the orientation, I had only met the man of the house. The wife was still in another state closing the old house out. She arrived like a hurricane and it's not been fun the last 2 weeks and had I met her previously I wouldn't be building this for them. She demanded that we paint the house a different color than our usual and wanted a green which I've never done. I thought about this thread and pulled up the color on their website. She and I are best friends now. I'm not sure I can do anything wrong in her eyes. She's in love with the Sea Salt. The pic on their website shows the same appearing base, door trim, and crown that we are using in her home. She's a happy camper but not near as happy as I am! The painter arrived with a few gallons this afternoon and painted one of the bedrooms and hallway. We will be painting the entire house this color. Frankly, I'm impressed with the color. Yes, it has a tendency to change color depending on the light and that's what she loves. All she has to do is change light bulbs and she has a slightly different color. Works for her!
Sherwin-Williams Paints, Stains, Supplies and Coating Solutions

Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,105,370 times
Our last house was painted Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige throughout, with white trim. I wasn't sure I would like it, but actually, I had no problem with it. If I had stayed in that house, I probably would have painted a couple of the bedrooms a different color. Moving to a new house, it is a similar color in all the living areas and one bedroom. The other bedrooms and the bathrooms are different colors, but mostly too dark. I am going to leave the beige in the living areas, but lighten up the colors in the bedrooms the color in those bedrooms. I like the Sea Salt color, but would not paint it throughout. I have two bathrooms that are painted pure white. I really don't like that. It seems like primer to me. Or maybe too clinical. But it will come with time. I like to take a lot of time to think about colors and decorating. Its a feeling you are going for in your home, and I hate to rush that.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:48 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
I actually did this, in a 2-bedroom condo. Had the whole thing painted before I moved in, beige walls in every room. Saved me a lot of time and bother.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times
For an update: I am still painting. I decided to add more color. I chose colors from the Coastal Cool collection here Coastal Cool Color Palette - HGTV HOME

I still plan to use alot of sea salt. I've also incorporated accessible beige, watery, and eider white. This might well be my favorite SW collection, which is saying a lot. I really, really like Restful, too, so I may incorporate that color, too. My interior is looking amazing.

I'm not worried about sea salt (or the other colors, really) not being considered a neutral. I've been doing a ton of research on houses for sale in my area, as well as new builds.

I'd even go so far to argue that grey blues are trending now and Sea Salt works beautifully into that.

FWIW, I live in a coastal area. Not sure how well all of these colors would go over, say, in the midwest or desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating