Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM

288 posts, read 511,414 times

Advertisements

We are in the very early phases of purchasing a completely gutted home to remodel. The bottom floor is concrete that I would like to have stained to give it that industrial-loft feeling. What should one expect to pay per sq. ft. on something like that?

Also- I think I know the answer to this already, but is it possible to lay concrete floor on the upper levels of the house? I figure some kind of significant reinforcement of the structure would be needed that would make it not worth doing, but maybe I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 PM

29 posts, read 46,779 times
Putting a concrete floor is not a bad idea but you just have to pick the right areas to do that. The upper levels of the house are seems to be OK then.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:55 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
The question is not is it possible to lay concrete on the upper levels the question is why. It's your money, your house, but concrete flooring on the upper levels is incredibly unappealing. It's a brutally hard and often cold surface. I'm assuming you are talking about continuing the stained concrete and not using concrete as a sub floor.

i'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to reinforce the structure for that.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
The question is not is it possible to lay concrete on the upper levels the question is why. It's your money, your house, but concrete flooring on the upper levels is incredibly unappealing. It's a brutally hard and often cold surface. I'm assuming you are talking about continuing the stained concrete and not using concrete as a sub floor.

i'm not sure if it's worth the extra money to reinforce the structure for that.
I have concrete floors through out my multi level home.
Everyone loves them.
Some places they are stamped to look like stone but most places it is flat.
Of curse I built the house like this. You can sit in the bedrooms up stairs while there is a band playing down stairs and not hear them at all.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:11 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I have a slab foundation. When re-modeling my house, I planned to have it stained. It was going to be pricey so I figured I would first paint the floors to see how we liked concrete.

The concrete was incredibly uncomfortable. I suggest living with the concrete (even if it's not stained or painted) just to see how you like it. Walk around barefoot or with socks if that's how you normally live. Cook in the kitchen for an hour.
It might work for you, but it definitely did not for me. My legs hurt, it was cold, I just did not like it.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:22 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I have concrete floors through out my multi level home.
Everyone loves them.
Some places they are stamped to look like stone but most places it is flat.
Of curse I built the house like this. You can sit in the bedrooms up stairs while there is a band playing down stairs and not hear them at all.
Like I said, your money your house. I can say unequivocally, though, that I would not buy a house that has concrete flooring on the second floor. Unflinchingly hard surface throughout a second floor doesn't sound appealing to me at least. Wood is another thing.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:02 PM

4,843 posts, read 3,272,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
We are in the very early phases of purchasing a completely gutted home to remodel. The bottom floor is concrete that I would like to have stained to give it that industrial-loft feeling. What should one expect to pay per sq. ft. on something like that?

Also- I think I know the answer to this already, but is it possible to lay concrete floor on the upper levels of the house? I figure some kind of significant reinforcement of the structure would be needed that would make it not worth doing, but maybe I'm wrong.
Assuming the concrete is already there, I believe a local place told me $6 SF a few years back.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
It's difficult to use a per square foot price without knowing what is included in that price. Plain staining of concrete is not that hard compared to the preparation for the staining. The more prep work, the more per square foot it will cost. You also have different types of stain products that will also impact the per foot price. And, lets not forget the cha-ching when you start getting a little fancy with designs, multiple color layers, inlays, artistic cover-ups of repaired cracks, etc.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Like I said, your money your house. I can say unequivocally, though, that I would not buy a house that has concrete flooring on the second floor. Unflinchingly hard surface throughout a second floor doesn't sound appealing to me at least. Wood is another thing.

Im sure you have heard of rugs. No?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Keep in mind that if your floors develop hairline cracks (very common in many areas due to the type of soil underneath), you will not be able to camouflage this issue at all, and if you plan to resell the home, it will be a big detriment and a big worry to most home buyers, even if the crack remains a hairline crack and doesn't actually affect the structural integrity of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating