Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
...said that Lowe's and Home depot are not the places to buy interior paint?
What are your thoughts?
90% of a good painting project is in the prepwork and tools.
Experience counts too of course but mostly it's about the willingness to take the time
to do each of the various steps right. The specific paint brand is the LEAST of it.

All that said... once you are ready to spread that single gallon of paint...
the $10-20 difference among choices isn't all that consequential.
Neither is where you buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 10:08 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Well, I'll be a dissenter, but my favorite paint is Behr paint and primer in one that I buy at Home Depot. I get the satin and it almost always only needs one coat. Really great stuff. I'm old and have used a lot of paint in my day, and I really think it's the best one out there. I mainly use it to paint furniture now and it even stands up on furniture. I even used some to paint the top of my workbench and it has really held up.
The top of the workbench was just raw plywood. I would pay top dollar for it and would choose it over any other paint now, based on my experience with it, even if it cost the most. FWIW.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:27 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I made paint in my college days to pay for school. It was a very interesting experience. Interior paints are cheaply made. They don't have to put up with any weather or anything wet blowing against them. No lawn mower throwing crap on it, no sun, not much in the way of UV light, just sits there on the walls to look pretty. Most commonly folks repaint every 8 years according to industry statistics. So why spend big money on something that doesn't need to be top shelf or tough. The type of finish is far more important than what you paid for it. At minimum you want an eggshell finish so that it stays cleaner, longer. WE use mostly satin on everything inside the houses. It really adds warmth to a room. What I would recommend is look around and see what you can find at the cheapest price for a one coat coverage paint. And that might also include Walmarts paint. A few years back we painted a ladys house inside that bought the paint at Walmart. I quoted her for two coat coverage for the labor. It covered in one coat just like it said on the can and turned out nice. I obviously adjusted what I charged her for the work. I believe you'll find Glidden paints at Walmart. Behr at HD is not a favorite for me. I hate paint companies that play games with crap like "Primer in One". All they did was add more thicksotropic to the paint to make it heavier/thicker.

If you want to get real technical on paints, always ask for the dry film thickness of the paint. The dry film thickness is a known factor for every paint and is what is left on the walls after the water dries. It will be expressed to you in mils thickness. The more mils, the less water and more solids there are in a gallon which usually translates to better coverage, adhesion, and wear. But for interior paints, don't pay a lot cause it isn't doing a lot.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
My father spent his working years developing formulas for paint and other finishes for a variety of products. Because of his background I've generally listened to his recommendations.

That said, I've used, or had used, in my houses, Benjamin Moore (nice application), Sherwin Williams, builders seem to love it but it might be the many locations, Ace brand years ago (nice application), Sears (outdoor use), Porter Paints which I think has changed since being bought by PPG, and Walmart brand.

Paints change formulas so what you used in the past may not work well this time. When I last used Walmart paint it was based on my father's recommendation. It was easy to use and covered as well as the pricier Benjamin Moore. They've since changed suppliers. Haven't asked him recently for recommendations.

I've never, ever been able to do a single coat with any paint. It never looks right to me, but maybe I'm a bad painter. For that reason I tend to go with less expensive paint.

Worst paint I ever used was a Ralph Lauren paint in the mid-90's (age of lots of faux painting). It went on like finger paint.

Old 03-04-2018, 10:40 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Spend $35 and you can access this very useful page https://www.consumerreports.org/prod...ings-overview/

Old 03-04-2018, 01:35 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Well, here is what I bought. I went to Sherman Williams with a color from HD and they matched the color, I bought a washable, semi gloss paint for the living room and hallway....best thing is they had a 30% off sale going on (not sure if it was local or not) I had a $10 off coupon found on line and they gave me a Military discount. So, for 2 gallons of paint and a roller, I paid $85 and change.

I'll post later on how the paint applies. Thanks again all.

Old 03-04-2018, 01:42 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,340,243 times
Quote:
Well, here is what I bought. I went to Sherman Williams with a color from HD and they matched the color, I bought a washable, semi gloss paint for the living room and hallway....best thing is they had a 30% off sale going on (not sure if it was local or not) I had a $10 off coupon found on line and they gave me a Military discount. So, for 2 gallons of paint and a roller, I paid $85 and change.

I'll post later on how the paint applies. Thanks again all.
Nice! Post pictures if you can, please

Old 03-04-2018, 02:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Benjamin Moore - they have local stores. Not the cheapest out there but not the most expensive, and excellent quality. When I moved out of my last house, I was able to do touch ups with 7+ year old paint (stored inside the house in temperature controlled environment) and they matched perfectly.

Current house has builder chosen Sherwin-Williams and I'm not impressed at all. Lots of chips and splotches. I will definitely go back to Benjamin Moore when it's time to do a full paint job.
This has been our experience with Ben Moore paint. All positive. They have a great website, as well.

Sometimes Ben Moore paint is sold at hardware stores, and sometimes it is sold at standalone paint stores. We’ve had good luck using both sources.

It might be that builder used a lesser grade of the S-W paint. Lots of people like S-W paint.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:27 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Suggestions? What store, what paint is better, is there a better paint than the next...
Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams.

How do people not know about paint stores?

Old 03-04-2018, 07:47 PM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Every house I’ve lived in for past 21 years had Sherwin Williams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating