Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 01:58 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Since on every last one of these shows, the couple is looking for “mid century modern with “clean lines”, or a Craftman style house, I think it’s safe to assume they were coached as to what they are supposed to want.

My favorite thing to hate is when one of them wants some obscure feature (like a crushed ice maker), and, low and behold, one of the houses they view has it! I guess you can figure out which house they buy.

I remember my sister told the Real estate agent, "this is our price range", "show me something in a good neighborhood", but then in staten island there really arent any bad neighborhoods.....
i dont think her or my BIL would even know what a craftman or mid century is or was. lol.

ofcourse they are all coached, because a lot of the young buyers, (not me, because i am smart (and old) regarding those issues) really dont have a clue.

live with parents
get married
live in an apartment
have a buget of X, so what ever falls into X, is what they look at.

i think the HGTV things has made the buyers insane as far as demands.

the comments after a while really are sickeing and to me, expecially coming from the NY area where we all live in close proximity to our neighbors, not one NY'er would ever say, let alone think, I can see my neighbors window from mine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 02:01 PM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
It's "Reality TV" which has very little to do with true reality, imho. It's all staged for our entertainment. I view these shows as sit-coms...

Old 12-20-2018, 03:05 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
It's "Reality TV" which has very little to do with true reality, imho. It's all staged for our entertainment. I view these shows as sit-coms...
No, it's staged to sell stuff. Entertainment, if it happens, is a small beneficial unintended consequence.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:00 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
the comments after a while really are sickeing and to me, expecially coming from the NY area where we all live in close proximity to our neighbors, not one NY'er would ever say, let alone think, I can see my neighbors window from mine...

That one always makes me laugh. The neighbor is like fifty feet away, they are saying they can ::shudder:: see a neighbor's window while standing in the middle of a suburb and I'm like, "Wow! Privacy!"

Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM

401 posts, read 332,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I know, it's funny when you think the other houses weren't even ones they were looking at when they bought theirs. That makes the show make even less sense...

I think many of us would like a huge back yard but I agree, who wants the maintenance after working all week?

Plus I imagine many think they will have all those gatherings, friends coming to watch the game, dinners, etc, in the new house but it doesn't happen. It's just a fantasy that people have but don't really have time to actually do that often.
I know, right. "I need a GUEST ROOM!, I need room for ENTERTAINING!" When they probably have one or two guests a year and then they have to heat and cool and pay taxes on all that extra square footage. Yes, I know it's all pre-done but it is more cookie cutter than ever. White kitchen! Stainless steal! Granite countertops!

Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
I know, right. "I need a GUEST ROOM!, I need room for ENTERTAINING!" When they probably have one or two guests a year and then they have to heat and cool and pay taxes on all that extra square footage. Yes, I know it's all pre-done but it is more cookie cutter than ever. White kitchen! Stainless steal! Granite countertops!
I especially love when a couple is moving to a foreign country, where they know no one, yet they still need room to “entertain”. Like, entertain who?

Old 12-22-2018, 06:47 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
I especially love when a couple is moving to a foreign country, where they know no one, yet they still need room to “entertain”. Like, entertain who?

lol, yeah, unless they are paying thier friends, family members air fare.....hello????

hunny, were going to Bogota for thanksgiving..................

Old 12-22-2018, 07:44 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
Why do some insist on “trying out the bathtub “? Never did understand that one. I saw one episode where this woman had a budget of $100,000. Seriously? And she said she wanted stainless and granite. What a joke. Some just need a reality check....

Old 12-22-2018, 09:57 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Funnily enough, I tell my husband that when we buy a house, I want LESS bedrooms and space because I do not want to encourage anyone to stay with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating