Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2023, 08:34 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times

Advertisements

Hmm.

Lack of counter space would top the list.

Gas stove…I can’t adjust to cooking on them

Lack of electrical outlets

No garbage disposal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 09:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A stovetop in the island.

Stupid / non-functional layout. For example, the distance vetween the oven and a countertop requires walking more than 3 steps or going around a corner.

No pantry.

No ability to have trash cans installed next to sink, behind a cabinet door (think: rollouts)

A closed off kitchen. We LOVE the open concept.

I hope I NEVER have to live with a double sink again. Huge mistake I made when we built the house, and not fixable now without replacing a large granite countertop.

Wow, there's something for everyone thank goodness!

I built a pantry in a previous kitchen that I redid. So it wasn't a deal breaker to me, but that kitchen overhaul was expensive. Thank goodness we got the house for a steal basically.

I won't have a sink unless it's a double sink, with a divider so to speak. The last one I installed has a low divider, only about three inches or so high. I love it.

I really don't like open concept homes but it depends totally on the layout. I've had both and I prefer a kitchen to be out of sight from the main living area. Also, I like walls because I have furniture and art that both need walls. Of course, a house needs to be large enough so that it doesn't seem choppy or dark.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
A stovetop in the island.

Stupid / non-functional layout. For example, the distance vetween the oven and a countertop requires walking more than 3 steps or going around a corner.

No pantry.

No ability to have trash cans installed next to sink, behind a cabinet door (think: rollouts)

A closed off kitchen. We LOVE the open concept.

I hope I NEVER have to live with a double sink again. Huge mistake I made when we built the house, and not fixable now without replacing a large granite countertop.
When I was in dream state to building my house, pictured a walk in pantry....where the rear wall was a door to a long larder. Dream then, but no in the reality of about $160/square foot building costs.

As it is, my pantry is nice for what it is but now, between blizzards and pandemic shortages, stockpiling has rolled out into about 6 cabinets, depending what it is, such as cat food in some. So I suppose in any house, in any place, at any time, it is essential that it has lots of storage space.

My house is built on the great room concept, so it is much like Yosemite Sam's place in "The Fair Haired Hare", just without walls around the kitchen. It has not yet been a problem but should I need to cordon it off, I have lots of floor screens.

A stove top in the island might be difficult for me for that robs of essential work space, of essential storage space underneath. I suppose in someone's thinking, they they see the justification....but I don't.

As it is no doubt been mentioned before, I am moved by what I see in movies and TV (Witches of Eastwick, Kiss the Girls, Charmed (that was one huge, cluttered, underused place....with an incredible stove top in that thin table serving as an island)) and magazines.....like with late Playboy Playmate Gail Stanton and, not late, Sandy Cagle.......but is what we see in such places just a fantasy without any practical purpose that we have fallen in love with? Such as cabinets with glass doors and over head pot racks?

On that note of the latter, over head pot racks, why do we do that? Is that our form, as cooks, to be like warriors and display our armaments? Or is there a more practical reason, going back to an old time, of always being ready to reach for a weapon, ie,

"Only it's wise to be handy with a rolling pin
When the landlord comes to call" (Oliver, "Consider Yourself")

Of course, when it comes down to it, it is because we want it, we like the way it makes us feel. In the theme of this thread, however, there is.................do other people like it? (will they buy if it is there)

Old 01-11-2023, 10:27 AM

846 posts, read 683,917 times
My dealbreaker is a kitchen that's too large.

I've lived in large houses and small apartments. I can confidently say I far more enjoyed being able to deepclean a kitchen in 15 minutes rather than spending an hour and still feeling like I'm only half-way done cleaning it.

I also don't need that much space. I buy food I intend to eat within the month, so I don't have large closets filled with food. And I don't own too many dishes, because if you do them regularly, you don't need that many of them anyway.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
I forgot to mention my #1 dealbreaker - a clogged grease trap!

Yeah, I know, it's commercial - but unless you've cleaned out a grease trap that's prone to getting clogged up and backing up into the kitchen, you haven't really smelled stench.

I've been known to turn on my heel and leave a restaurant if I smell that when I walk in.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 808,760 times
Too far from the back deck. Cooking on the grill isn't only an outside function.

Too far from the garage. All the groceries have to get to the kitchen.

Too close to the front door. I don't want visitors to step into or really see the kitchen without "an invitation" to do so.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:59 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Lack of natural light.
A divided sink.
Dark wood cabinets.
Busy granite.
No/little pantry storage.
Two tier island.
Lack of counter space.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:38 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
Too far from the back deck. Cooking on the grill isn't only an outside function.

Too far from the garage. All the groceries have to get to the kitchen.

Too close to the front door. I don't want visitors to step into or really see the kitchen without "an invitation" to do so.

So right in the middle should do it!

Old 04-06-2023, 11:08 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Lack of kitchen space. We use the kitchen and need a fair bit of it. A dishwasher (or, you know, at least the hookups for one) NEEDS to be present. Also, I can’t see myself saying yes to a kitchen which lacks a garbage disposal.

Otherwise I’m not that picky in the sense that if it has the things above, that makes it functional, and functional is the master key; anything else I can kinda live with. If I’m allowed to nitpick, here’s where my mind goes. These are wants, not needs: I don’t like gas stoves in the least (unpopular opinion), but I’m sous chef, so I guess I don’t really get to pick it. I haven’t really adapted well to them after never having been around a gas one for the first 35 years of my life. Other appliances are appliances to me. Tools. So I’m not even trying to pick sexy looking ones. If I’m going off into the weeds a bit, I like side by side fridge/freezers best; I really dislike the ones with the fridge on top and then a freezer drawer down below. At all. Or “smart” appliances of any kind whatsoever. I’m not a fan of white or gray as the theme colors of the kitchen, necessarily, unless there’s something like the backsplash with a lot of color. I’m a color guy, after all. I’m not sold on dark wood, either, but it COULD be done right. It’s hard to keep dark wood from looking heavy and dated.

Old 04-06-2023, 11:52 PM

1,435 posts, read 668,263 times
Had to have a window above sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating