Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I have a question: What's wrong with yellow? We have a two story foyer which opens to the dining room. We painted the top half of the dining room a yellow and the bottom a brown. It looks great, but now I feel like I have to coordinate the whole lower level to those colors. We are thinking a paler yellow for the foyer and halls throughout. We painted one wall and it looks nice. The trim is all white. Are we totally off base? We keep using yellows, browns and greens throughout the house. Not on purpose, it just seems to be what we like.

Is yellow so bad? Yellow makes me feel good and I think it's pretty if done right.
Usually when you have a two story entry, you also have rooms on each side and maybe beyond the entry - so in my mind all the colors for those rooms need to coordinate - I wouldn't want yellow in an entry unless that color coordinated with the other rooms - I think that would be too much yellow, at least for me....best to keep things neutral.

We went with Shaker Beige in the entry and large landing area and then slightly darker shades in the large dining room and living room that adjoin the entry - the wall beyond the entry (with passway in front) is the same color as the dining room (sorry I can't recall which BM color it was but darker than shaker beige).

The main question you need to ask yourself is do the fabrics and accessories in the adjoining rooms to the entry look good with your entry wall color - everything needs to flow so I think wall colors should be similar and not display a jarring difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,066 times
We are looking to paint a two story foyer and i was iinterested in a green color. On the right of the foyer is a den which has Russian White and to the left in the dining room which has wall paper wide stripes that depending how you look at it looks the same color which is beige. All the previous replys seem to indicate that beige or ivory colors look best? I get the morning sun so it is quite bright in the foyer. I would like some opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating