Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 PM

433 posts, read 1,769,626 times

Advertisements

We have had our mattress for 9 years and it was a hand me down. I don't know how old it is but it needs to go. We can't sleep!

What do I get? We are both side sleepers.

I have been looking online and when I see what is ranked the best I look at reviews and lots of people hate it. I know everyone has a different experience. I also know that I am supposed to go to a store and lie down on each bed but I don't know if I will be able to tell if I like it from that.

I am wondering if we should go the memory foam route.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,724 times
You do get good buys online too but many people have experienced bad too. I would suggest you to check out your local area shops visit them check for quality and the different types they order and the years they would last. People have various preferences some like sleeping on foam, some over sping mattresses so its better to go and check it out with the reputable dealers.

Jeanne

Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Memory foam - love it or hate it (and I personally fall into the latter group, but there are many who love them). Before going that route I do recommend you spend some time on one either in a hotel that has them or in a store. They are quite different than "regular" mattresses. The same suggestion for a Sleep Number bed.

I consider mattress shopping almost akin to car shopping, so I may not be much help to you. But last summer we did have to bite the bullet and get a new mattress. Although it felt really, really weird to do, we laid down on a lot of different mattresses, and if one felt right, we stayed there for way more than two seconds. When we narrowed our choices down to two, we tried each out for more than 15 minutes, doing the typical tossing and turning and mimicking how we sleep.

Mattress stores are usually not very populated with customers, so it truly felt bizarre to lay there, seemingly endlessly, with sales people trying to look busy as their desks. But dang, we didn't want to spend so much money and possibly regret the purchase just because we were self-conscious about our method of testing.

We also looked at the construction, and although mattress-speak was a foreign language, it was just plain logical to presume that "heavy" construction with decent wood and plenty of well-tied coils would stand up longer over the course of time.

Another factor to consider was the box spring. Mattresses today are so much thicker that we needed a low profile box spring - otherwise our new bedding would have been taller than our bed's headboard and footboard. Box spring construction is less important than a mattress's construction, but you do want one well-made since it will be supporting the mattress.

We ended up with a Serta pillowtop. The mattress is firm. The pillowtop is not a deep plush one - it's rather thin so that we can still feel the firmness of the mattress and yet our hips, elbows, and shoulders don't feel pressure. There's actually a very thin layer of memory foam between the pillowtop and the mattress's stuffing over the coils.

It's been almost a year since our purchase and we're still very happy. We didn't care for the process of buying it, but it was worth it in the end.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:42 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
go with your partner to the mattress stores. lay on the beds, together! stay on them for 10 minutes..at least. I don't know about memory foam, but if your room is big enough, definitely go with a kingsize bed. the more space, the better you sleep!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:11 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Set a budget first, and stick to it. Salespeople always try to get you to spend just a little bit more.

Get in comfy clothes, take your pillow along, and go to mattress and furnitures stores to bounce around on the beds. It's the only way.

Next time I buy a mattress, I won't buy another pillowtop. I can't flip it, and now that it's five years old, the padding has shifted and bunched.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Next time I buy a mattress, I won't buy another pillowtop. I can't flip it, and now that it's five years old, the padding has shifted and bunched.
That's one thing I forgot to mention - thanks Ohiogirl81 ... the flippable pillowtop mattresses were way out of our price range. So, obviously we got a onesided pillowtop which can't be flipped. Additionally, we saw some pillowtops that weren't heavily stitched, so I can see how the stuffing could bunch up over time. Pillowtops that are less poofy and have more stitching will hold their shape longer. Ours also has a 10-year warranty against bunching and misshapen-ness, so we'll see.

Although it's been a year since our purchase, I'm still not used to making the bed. Our ancient mattress was only 8" thick and the new one is 18" - I still mindlessly try to tuck in the sheets to where that 8" depth used to be between the mattress and the box spring. And I had to buy new sheets - our "antique" fitted sheets just didn't fit anymore.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:37 AM

165 posts, read 1,285,122 times
I second Ohiogirl81 - we bought a pillowtop and later regretted not being able to flip the mattress. You can always add a mattress topper to a regular mattress. Friends who loved the comfort of memory foam eventually ditched it as being "too hot."

Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 AM

433 posts, read 1,769,626 times
I'm thinking about possibly getting the Westin Heavenly bed. Anyone have experience with this mattress. Online it sounds like people love it. We could go to a Westin and try it out for a night.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
We purchased our Cal King off of craigslist (I know, people have a fear of buying used mattresses) and found a 4" memory foam topper for $119 shipped. It's AWESOME. We bought our mattress, frame and boxsprings from a little old lady who kept them in immaculate shape. She had to get rid of the bed because it was getting too hard for her to make the bed

It's super super comfortable and we're loving it It's just a plain mattress too, no pillowtop or anything. Got it for a steal at $100.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:54 PM

520 posts, read 3,920,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
I'm thinking about possibly getting the Westin Heavenly bed. Anyone have experience with this mattress. Online it sounds like people love it. We could go to a Westin and try it out for a night.
I have it and love it! Just bought it less then a month ago.
The W Store is actually having a 40% off sale with free shipping.
If I can find the code, I"ll post it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating