Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 97,341 times

Advertisements

We want to replace the aluminum blinds in the windows on the front of the family lake cabin. These windows get very bright hot sun and also reflection from the water. What material is best to withstand the heat and light without fading, warping, or cracking? I like the look of wood or faux wood blinds or plantation shutters, but I can't seem to find a good comparison of which material stands up the best over time. I would prefer something that will last a very long time.

Alternatively, has anyone ever tried to re-string old 2" aluminum blinds? How difficult is it? The look of these blinds isn't bad, if we could re-string them and get them cleaned up. They are very old (I think original to the house 1957) and were re-strung about 30 years ago. Unfortunately now a lot of the cords have completely deteriorated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:24 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,690,218 times
I have hunter douglas wood blinds, and they are now 10 years old. I live in the Sunshine state
and they do seems to hold up well.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:04 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
I hate to be bound by a certain blind just because it blocks the sun, so here is what I do. I buy the highest quality off-the-shelf room darkening pull down vinyl shades from Lowes (they cut them to fit) and install them behind my window coverings. Then I use whatever I want as window coverings.....pull down the vinyl shade when you want to block out the sun and leave it rolled up behind the blinds when you don't need it.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,161 times
It would be better to just re-order 2" aluminum blinds. As for the 2" fauxs, woods or plantation shutters, the best option would be the faux. Real wood blinds will warp from direct sunlight. Yes wood is a natural insulator, but I dont like spending alot of money for blinds that will not hold up.
Faux woods are designed to hold up to not warp, crack or discolor. So do the cellular shades. My personal favorite of cellular shades are the Bali Tinted Whites/Northern Lights. I have a Bottoms up/Tops down cordless cellular shade in my bathroom and I love it. That window also gets the the afternoon sun also. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow so you can see if its something you would like.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,936 times
both my kids' rooms face south and get direct sun....daughter has white faux wood blinds and son has medium wood blinds. Son's room gets much darker with the blinds closed and much less heat.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 PM

Here is the blind in my bathroom.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 97,341 times
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
ladybug07, so that is the cordless cellular shade, right? Is it s Bali? I love the look of that. How do those compare on price to, for example, the 2" faux wood blinds? Lower, higher, or similar in price?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 AM

It is a cordless shade and it is Bali. I wanted cordless because I could see our cat playing with the cords and trying to take off with them through the house. They are more a little more expensive than a 2" faux wood, but to me, they are worth it because they insulate. Because of the bottom up, top down, cordless feature, we paid around 200 for it on sale. They are on sale again at Lowes.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:56 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,668 times
hunter douglas i say are the best in quality and long lasting. it can last hears. try that outr the options are vertical blinds , rollers and any other types.

Jeanne

Old 04-28-2015, 01:31 AM

2 posts, read 20,797 times
Here's what it sounds like: Wood blinds are lighter. They don't sag, but they can warp over time. They are pricy too.
Faux-wood blinds are heavier. They might sag if they are placed in a large window more than 48" wide. They are less expensive.
Vinyl Blinds will sag after a few years, but you can buy them really cheap so some people just replace them when they start looking too ugly. I did that, and it's a good route if on a budget.
All these above equations are affected by the temperature where you live and what direction the window faces.

I'm gonna buy the faux-wood blinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating