Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 AM

206 posts, read 747,053 times

Advertisements

Interested in your opinions everyone! We are in the early stages of designing a kitchen that will open to a family room. We do not have furniture yet. The back yard is wooded and there is a breakfast nook which faces the back yard that I would probably paint a different color than the rest of the room for some drama. (I am thinking maybe an orange)What color would you suggest for a kitchen that will have off white/cream cabinents with hopefully touches of brown, a dark brown island, and stainless steel appliances. The floor will be hardwood. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:50 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I love the idea of orange. I think it would be striking.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I love the idea of orange. I think it would be striking.
Thanks what do you think about color for the rest of the room?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:00 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,011,651 times
I like the orange idea too, but what color are the countertops and is the wood flooring dark or light?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:13 AM

We are building so haven't picked out countertops or flooring yet. I think the flooring will probably gravitate toward the darker side. Not sure about countertops. Our builders standard is granite but they will also let you substitute something else. Whatever we pick will end up being some sort of neutral for resale.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Are you more traditional or contemporary? If traditional is your style, then I see dark green and buff accents

Something to remember is how much the seasons can influence our color preferences. Are you going to love orange in the spring when the trees outside your window aren't aflame with color? I had a house for many years that was yellow, orange, dark green, blue, brown, and deep red (Don't be scared. It was gorgeous.) I absolutely loved it, but I loved it most in the fall.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 AM

I was thinking an olivey color for the rest? Yes, good point-I am not sure if I am feeling this way because it is fall. But I am really liking orange lately. Our last house had many colors too and I am sure lots hated it, but I am not a neutral person. We had blues, greens, browns, purples. Our realtors loved it and didn't have us change a thing. In our last house we used a chaurtresey green which I loved. But I think it may be too much for a large room. I was an addict to the relocation forum. Now I have found a new way to spend time!

Old 10-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 PM

47 posts, read 246,732 times
I would suggest going with a subtle gray/green olive like Benjamin Moore's Olive Branch, Richmond Gray, or Old Salem Gray to allow the orange to really pop. Orange suggestion- Jack O' Lantern. With touches of brown, I think the colors would be beautiful. They remind me of a few Mark Rothco prints, which would look great framed in white against the olive. They would bring all the colors together. Good luck!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayandtom View Post
I was thinking an olivey color for the rest? Yes, good point-I am not sure if I am feeling this way because it is fall. But I am really liking orange lately. Our last house had many colors too and I am sure lots hated it, but I am not a neutral person. We had blues, greens, browns, purples. Our realtors loved it and didn't have us change a thing. In our last house we used a chaurtresey green which I loved. But I think it may be too much for a large room. I was an addict to the relocation forum. Now I have found a new way to spend time!
How do you feel about this color combo on the walls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating