Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:54 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Unless you are keeping the original in a period house, I like painted better. To me, stained woodwork stops the eye, and draws attention to itself, when there is no reason it should.
thats a great line, and yes, I agree. maybe thats why I always paint my trim the same color as the walls, as there is no need to call attention to it, I have pretty stained doors, they are the focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 02:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Unless you are keeping the original in a period house, I like painted better. To me, stained woodwork stops the eye, and draws attention to itself, when there is no reason it should.
Well, OK. But if the house was built in the 1960s, and it has the original baseboards and trim, I would think stained would be better suited to the interior. Especially, if the doors are slab wood doors.

I prefer white trim now, and I am happy with what I have in my home, which was built in 2002. But homes built in the 1980s and earlier might be better left the way they were originally styled. Unless someone is doing a complete rehab, where everything is changed.

I don't think there can be an absolutely right answer for all situations.

I would not paint trim in an MCM house, for instance. At least, I would not paint it white.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
thats a great line, and yes, I agree. maybe thats why I always paint my trim the same color as the walls, as there is no need to call attention to it, I have pretty stained doors, they are the focus.
If the trim is not especially interesting, then I don't see anything wrong with this approach. I think the idea with white trim is to pick out details. If the detail is not worth picking out, then why paint it to contrast? So, I do understand what you are going for. Nice to know that your doors are nice.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If the trim is not especially interesting, then I don't see anything wrong with this approach. I think the idea with white trim is to pick out details. If the detail is not worth picking out, then why paint it to contrast? So, I do understand what you are going for. Nice to know that your doors are nice.

thank you, yes, you are correct, the trim is not really detailed, and wasnt necessary to make stand out. I had wanted the doors to be the focal point. But I absolutely agree with you when the trim is really pretty and detailed, for sure.
here are some pix I took.

PS: lol, as you can see, I have a thing for tassels......
Attached Thumbnails
stained woodwork or painted woodwork?-misc2018-1-025.jpg   stained woodwork or painted woodwork?-misc2018-1-026.jpg   stained woodwork or painted woodwork?-misc2018-1-027.jpg  

Old 04-13-2018, 09:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
thank you, yes, you are correct, the trim is not really detailed, and wasnt necessary to make stand out. I had wanted the doors to be the focal point. But I absolutely agree with you when the trim is really pretty and detailed, for sure.

I love those dark stained doors, they are beautiful.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:56 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I've been torn about the trim in my house for years. I know that it was painted over very early on, and was certainly done so by the 1950's (the house was built in 1927). It is all painted white now. If I were to strip it back to its original finish it would be almost black because the Douglas Fir from which the trim is built has ebonized over the years and it would make the small rooms look very choppy. Also, the trim in the sunroom and the "den" (the other half of the original enclosed porch) is older wood, like 68 years old, but certainly not as old as the Douglas Fir, so I don't know what it would look like in its' original form if I stripped it. It looks nice in white, especially as the upper wall trim is over a foot wide. So I can either be historically accurate and have the house look choppy or have white trim and a bright, airy small house. At this point, I plan to keep the trim white. It may not be "right", but I have to live here after all.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:

Very handsome. I might disagree that your trim is not worth picking out, but I can't argue with what you've done. Your door treatments are very, very handsome.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I've been torn about the trim in my house for years. I know that it was painted over very early on, and was certainly done so by the 1950's (the house was built in 1927). It is all painted white now. If I were to strip it back to its original finish it would be almost black because the Douglas Fir from which the trim is built has ebonized over the years and it would make the small rooms look very choppy. Also, the trim in the sunroom and the "den" (the other half of the original enclosed porch) is older wood, like 68 years old, but certainly not as old as the Douglas Fir, so I don't know what it would look like in its' original form if I stripped it. It looks nice in white, especially as the upper wall trim is over a foot wide. So I can either be historically accurate and have the house look choppy or have white trim and a bright, airy small house. At this point, I plan to keep the trim white. It may not be "right", but I have to live here after all.
I think I'd want white. If it isn't worth it to strip, which would be a ton of work, why not just paint, as you are doing?

Old 04-14-2018, 10:31 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Do you know the trim was originally stained and varnished? A lot of older houses had painted trim from the beginning.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Very handsome. I might disagree that your trim is not worth picking out, but I can't argue with what you've done. Your door treatments are very, very handsome.
thank you for the good words,

none of the windows have the trim, and the doorways without doors dont either, so thats also another reason i made it blend, it would have looked 'funny" to see some things trimmed out and others not.
This is the way the apartment came. When it was renovated 30 years ago, the regular passage doors trim wasnt put on, as it wasnt needed so they thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating