Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times

Advertisements

We need to put new flooring throughout the main living area and kitchen of a house. We are going with some type of stone/tile.

What do you think is an elegant looking hard floor? Our choices are ceramic, porcelain, granite, or marble. What are the pro's and cons of each? And I know there is no perfect floor.

What colors? I want to stay neutral but not too bland.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
If you want elegant, I think the best choice is marble. That doesn't mean I'd use it in a main living area: it's soft, stains, requires maintenance. And hurts like crazy if you fall on it. And it's exPENsive. But elegant? Gorgeous? Oh yeah.

Ceramic too often looks cheap. You can get good ceramic tile, but it's easy to chip, and often the screened-on designs just aren't right. Porcelain is typically better, but personally, I'm associating it with wanna-be-upscale-malls. I like it in small bathroom spaces, but to put it in a living area, I'd be very careful with the style and pattern and that it looks nothing like a department store or fancyish mall. And I'd get some area rugs to break it up a bit. Also, I'd prefer bigger tiles (18-24") to the 12" tiles, in a big living area.

I just don't see granite on the floor of a home. I mean, you COULD, but why?? I could see it as an acent to a porcelain field tile, but I wouldn't want it to be my entire floor. I'd start referring to it as the pit... the money pit.

So, depending on the home and your budget... if it's gotta look high-high-end, and you can afford marble, then that's a good choice. If you want to save some and keep it family-real, maybe a large porcelain with granite accents.

A tile you didn't mention - travertine. Also porous, and not necessarily practical, but you're already talking about marble, so why not? I've seen it much cheaper than marble, and man, it is gorgeous. Intensive care, but very pretty. And inherently neutral!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I agree that ceramic often looks cheap. I'll add porcelain to the cheap look list too.

Marble and travertine have a downside to being elegant: not everyone wants a formal interior.

Marble and travetine clash with furniture and textiles owned by someone who prefers a moe casual interior.

I personally like slate. I like that it's a rich natural stone that can be casual or formal depending on how an interior is decroated.

You don't have that flexibility with marble or travertine.

Another plus is that slate is very affordable.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
I live in a house with stone flooring throughout most of the main floor and I don't think you want it in high traffic areas.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
I'd probably go with travertine if you're talking the flip Florida beach house. It fits with what people would like to see in that kind of home.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:18 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
thru-body color porcelain tile (different than ceramic).

Old 01-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Thank you all for posting your answers. So many choices and different opinions. Thanks for posting the reasons for your choices.

It will be time to go shopping soon to see what we can find. the only thing I know is we will be using larger tile.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,510,442 times
Have you considered slate? It's pricey but beautiful and it comes in lots of colors and sizes.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Have you considered slate? It's pricey but beautiful and it comes in lots of colors and sizes.
Hopes mentioned it but I haven't really considered it. I just checked one site and I think it would be a better for in our mountain home in TN. This is for an investment home in FL.

Anyway, I came across this slate site. I like the red one.
Vermont Slate Depot - Wholesale prices on Slate products! Flooring

Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,092,699 times
I like porcelain. And I believe these days there are a range of finishes, textures and colors than the shiny stuff of its predecessors. On one TV show I saw a homeowner who used a porcelain that looked like slate.The designers critiquing the room complimented the homeowner on the look of the floor that was durable and more affordable than natural slate.

BTW, are you sure you want stone/tile in the kitchen? I believe there are alot of homeowners who complained about stone floors because they are very hard (takes its toll on your body when standing for long periods of time).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating