Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have a Civic 2003 and I read articles saying it's being recalled for headlight problems. I went to Honda's site and entered my VIN. It said my vehicle is NOT being recalled.

I suppose only certain instances of the 2003 Civic has the problem and others don't? Couldn't find any specifics.

If the car got recalled I might be inclined to just ignore it. I've been using it 9 years and the headlights have never failed. I've moved since then, and Honda probably doesn't have my new address.

Honda announces third large recall of week - 268,000 CR-Vs - latimes.com
While I realize they now found you, I just wanted to add that when they issue a recall it is generally done against specific VIN ranges produced during certain time periods. So, not every car of a certain model and year may be recalled. Sometimes it is trim specific, other times production date specific, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I know that, I just work in manufacturing and love precise time studies that don't take all variables into account and cause management to be things when stuff doesn't go right.
lol, how true. I remember arguing with Freightliner before over warranty labor times they were allowing on some repairs. We saw their "test" facility and they figured out the time by rolling a totally clean truck into a room that looked like it was out of a genetics lab and had every tool possible arrayed and ready to go. They then told their factory master tech to go and started the clock. Yeah...that's "reality".

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I got a robocall from Honda, telling me about the recall.

I wonder how they found me, since I never told Honda I moved, and never gave them the new phone number. Perhaps Honda got my info from the DMV? I moved from one city to another, inside California.

I did the repair which took an hour and they even washed the car.
When there are recalls they search the DMV databases for people with effected cars and then call them or send out letters. Doesn't matter if you are the first or fifth owner or moved ten times since you owned the car, as long as your registration is up to date they can find you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 09:53 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,093,452 times
Quote:
I know that, I just work in manufacturing and love precise time studies that don't take all variables into account and cause management to be things when stuff doesn't go right.
Definition of approximately: close to; around; roughly or in the region of.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Yeah, but that's not how the manufacturers work. They will state 48 minutes for the repair and that is what they will pay the shop, maybe rounding up to an hour for incidentals. That doesn't take into account all of the variables though. Anyone ever stuck doing warranty work or managing shops that are doing warranty work knows what a joke those times are and there is constant argument over them.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Yeah, but that's not how the manufacturers work. They will state 48 minutes for the repair and that is what they will pay the shop, maybe rounding up to an hour for incidentals. That doesn't take into account all of the variables though. Anyone ever stuck doing warranty work or managing shops that are doing warranty work knows what a joke those times are and there is constant argument over them.
I can't say I've had the pleasure but considering that they will charge an hour of labor I'd say this is fair for this particular repair. If the mechanic decides to use the restroom or walk off and talk to his buddy during the repair then consider the clock stopped until he gets back. Of course some mechanics will take longer to do the same job as another but this doesn't mean they are working any harder. It seems like the people at our Safeway grocery store deli takes three time as long as Subway employees to make a sandwich but I'm not going to be congratulating them for being lazy. I can remove a headlight in a few minutes (as long as the front bumper doesn’t require removal) and correcting the wiring shouldn’t take much longer.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
It was a half ass joke.

Aproximately 48 minutes to me, is just as hilarious if someone should said, oh, that? It should take aproximately 48.4583432359999 minutes to complete.

Sorry, I am just laughing a little, I was working with a Lean/Six Sigma project all last week, and I laughed at some of the time studies they focused on.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I can't say I've had the pleasure but considering that they will charge an hour of labor I'd say this is fair for this particular repair. If the mechanic decides to use the restroom or walk off and talk to his buddy during the repair then consider the clock stopped until he gets back. Of course some mechanics will take longer to do the same job as another but this doesn't mean they are working any harder. It seems like the people at our Safeway grocery store deli takes three time as long as Subway employees to make a sandwich but I'm not going to be congratulating them for being lazy. I can remove a headlight in a few minutes (as long as the front bumper doesn’t require removal) and correcting the wiring shouldn’t take much longer.
For this repair it seems fair, I think Mustang and I were just reflecting on a broader industry trend. For instance many times when they establish "warranty book time" for a repair that requires touching the engine on a truck they often won't allot time for cleaning the engine before beginning the work, which is an absolute must. Like I posted earlier, the times are often set in near laboratory conditions under optimal circumstances and set by the best factory techs who are intimately familiar with the process.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
For this repair it seems fair, I think Mustang and I were just reflecting on a broader industry trend. For instance many times when they establish "warranty book time" for a repair that requires touching the engine on a truck they often won't allot time for cleaning the engine before beginning the work, which is an absolute must. Like I posted earlier, the times are often set in near laboratory conditions under optimal circumstances and set by the best factory techs who are intimately familiar with the process.
Don't forget they have Special Tool XYZ at their reach.

Hell I work for a manufacturer and we don't even have our own special tools at times. LOL

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I see, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Don't forget they have Special Tool XYZ at their reach.
Yeah, you know the special tool they made to remove headlights from 2003 Honda Civics that let's you do it in less then a minute. What? You don't have that tool? lol

Quote:
I see, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.
It pretty much always is. There's a constant battle between the dealers and manufacturers over what the manufacturer will pay for warranty issues. Recalls is a real mess because they try to keep the time tight and many times the dealers need to throw their best techs on these to get them done fast enough. Then there is the fight over what the manufacturer is willing to pay in labor rate.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
II was working with a Lean/Six Sigma project all last week, and I laughed at some of the time studies they focused on.
Don't ya just love those Lean/Six Sigma classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura